Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got the car back from the shop, was getting custom intercooler piping. They finished it and took it out for a "test drive" is what they told me. The guy that did the work said they forgot to plug the vacuum hose to the BOV which opens the valve. So now when i turn on the car it just smokes and it makes a loud whining noise when it tries to spool.

I was thinking of going single but i have a tight budget. around $4000. (2000 in which i asked for ) Is it worth getting another pair of Twins? or going single? I searched for a decent single turbo kit and the only one that meets my budget is the boost logic one on MVPmotorsports. Is this kit a Direct bolt on? no fuel managment need to be added? etc. If so i might just buy this and get it over with. what do you guys thinK>?

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
Man that sucks! The shop should pay for everything, as it wasn't your fault that the turbos took a shit. Look into Boost Logic, WOTM, HPF, and Sound Performance which I think has a "Budget" turbo kit that utilizes the stock manifold (with an addition). Just DON'T get the single installed at that shop... otherwise this time it'll be your motor.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Yes, its very possible to do on 4000. Just go with a turbo that is okay with stock fuel. My vote is to take the plunge and do it right the first time though, big single, fuel, clutch, cams and headwork(you have to have the hood open to install the single, might as well do it all at once)
:p Im joking, but yea, it should be feasable to go single for 4000 especially since that company is gonna be paying for the install(id make them pay, not install it themselves as they couldnt get the damn BOV install done without trashing big money)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. yeah he is paying 2000 because thats what i asked for (labor + the twins) the other 2 grand i have spare. I might just put a little more extra money and get fuel done. I dont want to get a shit load done. not ready for that yet. Man it was such a messed up ride home... all i heard was this nasty noise.. kind of like a cow. Eh, i was going to do the valve stem seals, piston rings, and a few more other things... the head and intake manifold... also the exhaust manifold is coming out.. so this is perfect.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
sorry to hear about your situation...definatly go single, when was your last SMOG check? i just went single too, by stock twins are still good, so if you need to smog, you can borrow them, then bring em back

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smaay said:
sorry to hear about your situation...definatly go single, when was your last SMOG check? i just went single too, by stock twins are still good, so if you need to smog, you can borrow them, then bring em back
Thanks a lot man i appreciate that you would actually let me borrow em:) But im not worried about smog... ill pass :bigthumb:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Another thing guys, my 2jz is all JDM spec... ecu, block, intake maifold, turbos, EVERYTHING. i was wondering would it be a good idea to get the 550 cc injectors and the usdm cam gears? and pullies?

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
the 550's do run fine on the JDM ecu and should be worth it if you dont plan on getting other fuel sys upgrades. I wouldnt bother getting the USDM intake cam, its not worth the time spent swapping cams and checking/setting clearances unless you're putting aftermarket cams in there.

Good luck, dont let that shop fuck you around, and definitely dont let them do the work.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
d0cktor said:
Just got the car back from the shop, was getting custom intercooler piping. They finished it and took it out for a "test drive" is what they told me. The guy that did the work said they forgot to plug the vacuum hose to the BOV which opens the valve. So now when i turn on the car it just smokes and it makes a loud whining noise when it tries to spool.

I was thinking of going single but i have a tight budget. around $4000. (They shop is going to pay half) Is it worth getting another pair of Twins? or going single? I searched for a decent single turbo kit and the only one that meets my budget is the boost logic one on MVPmotorsports. Is this kit a Direct bolt on? no fuel managment need to be added? etc. If so i might just buy this and get it over with. what do you guys thinK>?
Shop is going to pay half?To hell with that!

They broke it, they fix it. If they complain get a lawyer. There is absoultly no question they are 100% liable for that. They didn't hook up your BOV, drove the hell out of your car, and broke your tubro/s.

Don't let them pull that "We will pay half" Bullshit.

S

·
0 Posts
Gadfly said:
Shop is going to pay half?To hell with that!

They broke it, they fix it. If they complain get a lawyer. There is absoultly no question they are 100% liable for that. They didn't hook up your BOV, drove the hell out of your car, and broke your tubro/s.

Don't let them pull that "We will pay half" Bullshit.
While I do agree with Gadfly here, we have to completely understand American politics and law. What would happen is, as soon as the case goes to court, the lawyer representing the shop is simply going to say they never touched the turbos themselves and the mistake they made was not with the twins. He could also say that they had no way of knowing that the stock twins were probably about to go out anyways...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
If you hire a lawyer, you're not entitled to recover attorney's fees. It's called the American Rule, that each party pays its own attorney's fees unless specifically stated otherwise in written contract. There are some other rare exceptions here and there, yours is not one of them. If you hire a lawyer, it will cost you just as much if not more to go after them as you will end up getting, and that's IF you win, so you will end up with $0 or a loss even if you win, and even more of a loss if you lose. The legal system is fucked.

Only other alternative is small claims court. You're gonna need some evidence for small claims court to prove your case.

And this is why I hate dealing with mechanics. This is also why I no longer own a heavily modded car or intend to mod my car heavily ever again, because a heavily modded car exposes you to mechanics more often than not. I have been to small claims court many times because of auto industry people who didn't do their job properly and/or who misrepresented material facts. Owning a heavily modded car is a car that will have issues and that has no criteria such as a manufacturer's manual and/or manufacturer's specifications. Because of these issues that a heavily modded car will constantly have and because of the lack of criteria for these cars, you are forced to constantly take a heavily modded car to mechanics at speed shops only and you become exposed to mechanics who more often than not don't do their job properly. It becomes a real pain in the ass.

I just paid to have my driver's side window fixed and the mechanic didn't do the job right there either. The window doesn't roll up under the door seal, it rolls up OUTSIDE of the door seal. Now I have to go back. I took pics as evidence in case I have to sue again. Damn joke. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn thats horrible. thanks for all the help guys! but they are paying what i asked for :) i asked them for 2 grand and they gave it to me on the spot. the other 2 grand like i stated a few posts up is mine. Also, The head, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold is allll coming off since ima rebuild the whole engine. Im going to take it to my uncles shop where i did the swap for my supra. So i was asking if its worth getting the usdm cams or not. But if its not really a big deal i wont.

S

·
0 Posts
d0cktor said:
Damn thats horrible. thanks for all the help guys! but they are paying what i asked for :) i asked them for 2 grand and they gave it to me on the spot. the other 2 grand like i stated a few posts up is mine. Also, The head, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold is allll coming off since ima rebuild the whole engine. Im going to take it to my uncles shop where i did the swap for my supra. So i was asking if its worth getting the usdm cams or not. But if its not really a big deal i wont.
HKS 264 cams ;)

·
One wheeled junkie
312 Posts
SupraWillis said:
They probably gave you 2 grand right on the spot because a few years ago, I was quoted from a local toyota dealer that brand spanking new factory turbos with labor had a cost that excessed 5K dollars.

yea i called toyota here in corpus christi (in texas) about new twins when mine went out and they said 2400 each (no labor), i told him fuck that. then i went single :bigthumb: ...........but its also a good thing that he gave you 2g because he could of found some of a wrecked supra and just bought those telling you they were good and installed them like that, but i guess its just how you look at it

1 - 20 of 52 Posts