Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 N.A. now has dead turn signals and emergency flashers. Fuses are OK. I
swapped out the flasher switch with no results...I believe the turn signals feed through this switch...

When I say dead, I mean, there is nothing. The instrument panel turn signal indicator lights stay dead...as I recall, when the flasher is bad, they usually come on and stay on...or am I wrong about that???

Any ideas would be appreciated...

thanx

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
Take off the kick panel on the d.s., and make sure all the harness plugs are plugged in to the fuse box. I had this same prob. on my n/a 87.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dead turn signals- continued

Swapped out the switch, swapped out the flasher/relay, no blown fuses. Signals and hazard lights still dead...

Checking out the wiring tonight..

thanks again

·
grease monkey
317 Posts
check the plug behind the removable part of ur dash where it plugs into ur 4 way flashers. if its unplugged u wont get anything

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the trim panel from in front of the fuses/breakers. Found a connector that had pulled loose...probably one that I reassembled poorly when I was down there diddling with the wiring harness...

Everything works now...thanks again to all of you.

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
Turn signals dead

Sorry to bring up an old post guys but I have looked at the wiring diagram and have replaced the fuse that I blew, replaced the flasher unit but I still have no turn signals. The hazards work fine. According to the wiring diagram the only thing left is the turn signal stalk on the steering column. I already have it ripped apart but I can't find anything wrong. Does anybody have a hint. I noticed some one said a ground but if I have hazards then the ground must be ok. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
Check the 7.5A turn signal fuse.

Nope I already stated that I had changed it. I also checked to make sure I had power going to it. The TSRM wiring diagram shows that the hazards gets their power from this fuse also. My hazards work fine. I have replaced everything but the turn signal handle on steering wheel.

All of this frustration just because I hooked up the wrong wire. DAMN I am so pissed at myself. Thanks for trying.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Nope I already stated that I had changed it. I also checked to make sure I had power going to it. The TSRM wiring diagram shows that the hazards gets their power from this fuse also. My hazards work fine. I have replaced everything but the turn signal handle on steering wheel.

All of this frustration just because I hooked up the wrong wire. DAMN I am so pissed at myself. Thanks for trying.
The turn signal wiring is routed through the hazard switch, but they both get power from different locations. Hazards are fed from the Haz/Horn fuse and turn signals from the aforementioned 7.5A Turn fuse. The hazard switch can also fail in such a way as to prevent the turnsignals from working while still allowing the hazards to function.

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
The turn signal wiring is routed through the hazard switch, but they both get power from different locations. Hazards are fed from the Haz/Horn fuse and turn signals from the aforementioned 7.5A Turn fuse. The hazard switch can also fail in such a way as to prevent the turnsignals from working while still allowing the hazards to function.
Damn so now I have to get a hazard switch to try and see if this is the problem.
When I was looking at the TSRM wiring diagram it showed a 15A fuse for the horn and hazards but I can't find it in the car. It was kind of confusing as the diagram did not show a color of wire. It was grayed out so I was thinking that maybe this was for a different car. Anyways my horn and of course the hazards work as well so it is not this mystery fuse.

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
Just a quick update for everyone on my problem. Well after changing the fuse, the relay, hazard switch and the turn signal wiring on the steering column, I found what my problems was. I changed out the whole wiring harness on the steering column and it still didn't work. So after scratching my head and trying to figure out what else could be wrong it dawned on me to try the fuse. Well just to remind everyone, that when I changed the fuse the first time all I had was a 10A fuse. Now normally this would not have been a problem right? Well for some reason my car only wants the stock one, which is a 7.5A fuse. I put in a new 7.5 and WOW my damn blinkers work again.

If anyone can explain this why a 2.5A difference would keep the blinkers from working please let me know. Electrically it doesn't make any sense. So if anybody does a search and reads this, all I can say is try a 7.5A fuse along with the relay and hazard switch.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Maybe the 10A fuse was faulty ? Only reason i can think of honestly

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Test the 10A fuse with a multimeter. There shouldn't be more than .002 Ohms across it.... preferably less. There is really no reason the 10A fuse wouldn't work unless there's either a break in it that you're not seeing or it's defective and acting as a bottleneck for the current.

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
Yea I will test it tomorrow but I had power on both sides of it with a test light which made me think it was good. Just really strange though

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If it looks fine but is failing under load it's most likely due to either a hairline fracture or impurities in the metal. In cases like this it'll pass *some* current, but not enough to satisfy demands at higher loads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts