Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WTF? First white smoke, now this?:mad:

I got in my car to head home yesterday and turned the key . . . *click* then nothing? :rolleyes: *click* nothing :rolleyes: *click* and it fires! :eek:

This morning I turn the key twice, nothing. Turn it again and it tries to roll over, but doesn't seem to be getting enough power. Finally, it fires right up. I have a brand new (1 month old) Optima Yellow Top, so I know the battery is good. It acts the exact same way it would if I didn't engage the clutch before trying to start, but the clutch was fully engaged.

Could I be losing a connection, or a silenoid, at the starter? How do you check/correct this problem? Sensor problem?

Anyone ever run into this situation before?

Thanks all.

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
Myself, along with several other customers cars have all done this.
Its the starter contacts.... they are worn out and need to be replaced.

Pretty simple fix for a handyman, or any local shop will charge ruffly $100-$130 to fix.

Turn key, nothing.....nothing...nothing.... then VRRMMMM it starts up.
Common problem.......

HOPE THAT HELPS!

-Shayn

SupraDex said:
WTF? First white smoke, now this?:mad:

I got in my car to head home yesterday and turned the key . . . *click* then nothing? :rolleyes: *click* nothing :rolleyes: *click* and it fires! :eek:

This morning I turn the key twice, nothing. Turn it again and it tries to roll over, but doesn't seem to be getting enough power. Finally, it fires right up. I have a brand new (1 month old) Optima Yellow Top, so I know the battery is good. It acts the exact same way it would if I didn't engage the clutch before trying to start, but the clutch was fully engaged.

Could I be losing a connection, or a silenoid, at the starter? How do you check/correct this problem? Sensor problem?

Anyone ever run into this situation before?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's either your starter or battery (or bad cables). In this case since you have a new battery that eliminates the battery. Check your starter and clean/replace the contacts first before buying a new starter..much cheaper that way.

·
Registered
532 Posts
people, u cannot rule out the fact that he may have gotten a defective battery. it can happen. although you guys are probably rite, it probaly is the starter, another thing would be to check the battery terminal connection and make sure it is tight....if there is freeplay (jiggles or u can wiggle it) that can cause the car not to start. good luck
kevin

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
SupraX95TT said:
It's either your starter or battery (or bad cables). In this case since you have a new battery that eliminates the battery. Check your starter and clean/replace the contacts first before buying a new starter..much cheaper that way.
Shawn is full-on right here... you can get the contacts from Toyota for $15 and pull the starter, disassemble, and install new contacts in about 2 hours if you don't know $hit.

Or, you can do what I did (no lie) and go to a scrap metal place and buy a $5 bar of copper. Then heat, bend, and cut it... file it into shape (roughly a |C) and insert...

Of course that took like 4 hours to do... but it was a fun project to do with the pops.

The contacts are about the size of the end of your thumb, and are just copper "sheets" that are cut and bent. As the starter motor rotates and makes contact, it wears these out...

An easy fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great suggestions, all! :)

I checked the starter just to familiarize myself with where everything was. The contacts for the starter, I think, are in the front and visible when you open the hood. I "jiggled" it a bit and the car has fired right up since. Might just be pure luck though.

I'm going to order the contacts and change them out this weekend. Thanks!

Now, keep those "White Smoke" corrective actions coming!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts