Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had Tweak'd Performance build me a brand new engine harness for my 6spd Pro-EFI car. From payment to delivery, the process took 44 days and cost $1260 and I am very happy with what I have in my hands now.

I contacted Tweak'd in late August about building me a harness for my current build. I had many questions and concerns and called a number of times within a 2 week period. I mostly dealt with Cam there and he was always happy to explain his answers thoroughly and it was his professionalism that really sold me on having my harness built by Tweak'd. I opted to keep my original TT auto harness ($150 rebate if you send it to them) and have them build me my new 6spd harness from scratch. I had purchased my Pro-EFI 128 earlier in the week from member Brian Troll and sent Tweak'd the oil and fuel pressure sensors, MAP sensor, MAC valve, CAN display and iBoost switch wiring/connector, injector clips, and Nissan TPS from my Q45 throttle body. I also requested for the harness to be wired for flex fuel although I will not be setting the car up immediately for E85, without the TRAC pump wiring, and without the stock twin turbo wiring.

After my package was received, I was again contacted by Cam and asked where I wanted the sensors mounted. Initially I was quoted 3 weeks to have the harness built but twice a specific resistor wasn't available and needed to be sourced and it pushed having the harness shipped out to me for an additional two weeks. One of these times I was contacted by Cam and told about the delay which I very much appreciated.

Today I received the harness and am very happy with what they built for me. I have not installed it into the car but will update this thread once we get the car fired up and make sure there are no shorts. What I can comment on is how organized and clean the harness is and how happy I am that all the connectors are new and not the shitty, brittle, 20-year old connectors I had before. I feel confident in plugging in a coil pack connector without having the clip explode and shoot black plastic shrapnel everywhere.

On with the pics!!!

Old automatic twin turbo harness:

New Tweak'd Performance 6spd Pro-EFI harness:

No adapter harness needed, it plugs right into the Pro-EFI:

Wideband and MAC valve:

All brand new connectors, new injector clips:

Sensor connectors are all pre-labeled:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
How are you running the harness? What happened to the original grommet on the firewall or the plastic casing that runs along the firewall.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are you running the harness? What happened to the original grommet on the firewall or the plastic casing that runs along the firewall.
I still have it on the original harness but unfortunately the new one didn't come with the Tweak'd CNC plate I have seen advertised recently. Maybe I had to pay extra for that? I dunno, I will figure it out once the harness goes in.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics of this CNC plate you speak of?
Hey Darian, I don't have Facebook anymore but I saw it on their page a couple months ago. It's essentially just a plate that replaces the factory plastic piece at the firewall. Been working hard on the car, it'll be in good standing before making the journey down to you.

·
Captain Slow.
1,483 Posts
eek.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Patrick,

The CNC plate is for the Mil-Spec harnesses. It's a plate that bolts onto the firewall where the factory rubber grommet used to. The Mil-Spec connector then fits into the plate so you don't have to drill a new hole in your firewall!

-Cam, Tweak'd Performance

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Very nice! This may be an option for my new car with ProEFI! I really don't want to cut up the existing harness, but would like to lose all of the unnecessary clips and such.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Cam, is there something available for my application at this point or just the MIL-Spec harnesses? What have others done to fill the hole in the firewall?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice! This may be an option for my new car with ProEFI! I really don't want to cut up the existing harness, but would like to lose all of the unnecessary clips and such.
That was the reason why I went with this harness. I didn't want all the unused plugs dangling around. In my opinion, if you've already dropped $4k on a Pro-EFI, getting a brand new application-specific harness for it for a third of the price should be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Cam, is there something available for my application at this point or just the MIL-Spec harnesses? What have others done to fill the hole in the firewall?
Patrick,

Most people just cut off their original rubber grommet and put it on the new harnesses to cover the hole in the firewall. If there is another solution that people have figured out, I have not heard about it yet.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Patrick,

Most people just cut off their original rubber grommet and put it on the new harnesses to cover the hole in the firewall. If there is another solution that people have figured out, I have not heard about it yet.

patrick, what did you do with the boot that you took out of the car? if you still have it, slit the small end about 2 inches from the opening and pass each one of your harness plugs through it one by one. once they are all through, slide the boot up onto the harness, plug the ems side in and slide the boot back to the firewall and bolt it back in place. its easy and if you put the slit on the bottom of the boot, you will never see it once it is reinstalled.

cam, do you guys do na-t harnesses for say, pro efi 128? the setup would retain the stock dizzy system.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys. Luckily I do still have that piece from the old harness. I will save it and use it if I can't come up with something different. I really want to make a plate kind of like that one for the MIL-spec harnesses. I will definitely be taking pics of the engine bay once the harness goes in.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I ordered mine not long ago for my Aristo swap and I was super pleased. Turn around time was about a week maybe a bit less.

Awesome customer service, especially Cam, always answered all my questions professionally even if they may have been dumb, twice sent me the correct connectors I needed due to not ordering the correct ones initially.

A++ hands down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
patrick, what did you do with the boot that you took out of the car? if you still have it, slit the small end about 2 inches from the opening and pass each one of your harness plugs through it one by one. once they are all through, slide the boot up onto the harness, plug the ems side in and slide the boot back to the firewall and bolt it back in place. its easy and if you put the slit on the bottom of the boot, you will never see it once it is reinstalled.

cam, do you guys do na-t harnesses for say, pro efi 128? the setup would retain the stock dizzy system.
I'm sorry I did not post this sooner, I have a hard time keeping up with all the forums! I will send you a private PM. We are not vendors on SupraForums, so I'm not allowed to discuss pricing, etc.

I ordered mine not long ago for my Aristo swap and I was super pleased. Turn around time was about a week maybe a bit less.

Awesome customer service, especially Cam, always answered all my questions professionally even if they may have been dumb, twice sent me the correct connectors I needed due to not ordering the correct ones initially.

A++ hands down.
Thank you, sir! :)

-Cam

·
Registered
565 Posts
I ordered one for an auto 240SX 2JZ swap I haven't been pleased with it after getting the car running somewhat recently. Problems with mine: Reverse lights do not work, Overdrive switch not wired (in other words, wired so always in Overdrive with no option to turn it on/off which can kill an A340E trans with big power/single turbo), ETC PWR switch not wired (don't know if it's hardwired in the normal or pwr setting, but I suspect normal as the T/C lockup is almost immediate upon switching gears and from the way it drives/shifts early), oil level sensor wiring removed from harness, stock twin vsv wiring left in the harness even though I stated single turbo swap, temperature gauge has a loose connection somewhere in the wiring (replaced sensor and temp gauge still randomly bounces around, worked fine before swap), and Idle Speed Control Valve does not work (I suppose this 'could' be a non-harness issue, such as ECU, or could be connected to bad wiring for temp sensor but I just spent a lot of $ on brand new ISCV and it still doesn't work...with all the other harness issues noted, can you blame me for thinking it's a problem with the harness?). Additionally I requested and it was advertised that all stock functions of the 240SX would work, but cruise control also does not work even though everything is hooked up

After really seeing what I got for ~$1000, I would not buy another harness from them, and actually regret doing it. If I would have done it myself, I can guarantee I would not have had all of these issues. My honest assessment is that the workmanship is so-so, customer service seemed ok, but they are a long ways from truly giving you a hassle free and complete swap harness. I feel that for what I paid, I did not get what was advertised. Ways to improve:

Include a list of exactly what you did to each harness, after the fact; for example 1. Removed wiring for X, Y, Z sensors 2. Added wiring for X, Y, Z 3. Rewired X, Y, Z 4. Replaced connectors for X, Y, Z. This would give the customer a definite feel good as to the individuality of their application, avoid customer confusion when they find extra plugs (what was this for?) or sensors with no plugs (where the hell is the plug for my oil level sensor?!), and also aids in troubleshooting.

Then, especially for automatic swaps, ask the customer the plan for the ETC/PWR and OD switches, or at least label wires, or provide instructions for wiring in the ETC PWR and Overdrive switches.

Provide information on how to get cruise control or other body harness integration pieces working properly for auto or 5 speed swaps.

Don't remove or add wiring for sensors from the harness unless specifically requested.

In hindsight, if you have some knowledge on wiring, save your $ and spend the time to do it yourself. That way you KNOW what you've done rather than end up like me, trying to figure everything out afterwards anyways/not knowing exactly what they did, and $1000 poorer.

If you want to ask, no I have not brought all these things back to them. We've only had the car running and driving for about a month or two and after discovering the first couple issues, I wanted to make sure we knew everything that was going to be an issue before calling it in. At least this way it gives people an honest assessment on the quality of the harness vs the service/support.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts