Supra Forums banner

241 - 260 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Not a bad deal for a custom harness if using Tefzel wiring (TXL is tier 2 option), new connectors/pins throughout, Raychem DR25, and a cannon plug connection.
Yeah, those are the materials I asked for - Tefzel, dr25, and mil-spec connectors. I think materials alone are over $2k.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
^^^ it sounds like you know more about it than I do - I'm jafo. :)

I did some reading, saw some references to the Tefzel being high quality (think Ron Ramirez was discussing it here on SF's), and asked my builder about using it for a custom harness. I'll have to verify if, in fact, DuPont Tefzel was used, or another brand ETFE mil-spec wire.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a brand new harness made for my TT swap 2 years ago and it has been perfect. I recommended a buddy of mine to buy a new harness from cam and his harness has worked out like mine.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well guys and gals, recieved my harness on tuesday but didnt open package til last night, all i can say is wow. I absolutely love how clean the harness looks. Everything was labeled, neat wrapping, proefi ready with all the accessories installed, the i-boost switch, the flexfuel connector, the fuel and oil pressure sensors, and the sexxii looking mil spec connector. All looks very good and very happy with the customer/vendor communication, and vendor/tuner communication. Car is getting painted so i will have to wait on the paint to cure and all work to get done before i do all the engine work myself. Cam and Dr. Tweak, thank you guys sooo much for the fast return and sending back all the accessories that were sent to you guys. I will keep this thread updated and hopefully all is good to fire up and get tuned here before end of this month. Will post pictures and keep everyone posted as soon as i get a chance to get it done

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
^^^ it sounds like you know more about it than I do - I'm jafo. :)

I did some reading, saw some references to the Tefzel being high quality (think Ron Ramirez was discussing it here on SF's), and asked my builder about using it for a custom harness. I'll have to verify if, in fact, DuPont Tefzel was used, or another brand ETFE mil-spec wire.
there are many companies that coat their wires with tefzel etfe but have different costs based on their strand count/tensile strength/conductivity and other factors. for example Pegasus has their own wiring coated with tefzel etfe. Honestly I would say stick to the tefzel premade wire if you are comfortable with the costs. Guranteed good.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
Quite inexpensive you say? Care to give us a material cost breakdown to build a harness? How much do you have invested in the proper tooling?
I have none in my car, but if you break down about $1500-2000 in parts, the price I have seen quoted for a good harness is double or triple that. So yes, the materials cost much less than the labor, unless you have a discount or a friend or something.
No need to breakdown something that is fairly straightforward
You see the quotation marks around "inexpensive"? It is meant to be subjective, based on the labor and parts together, not the parts alone being cheap. They are not inexpensive, but they are much less expensive when compared to the labor. Make sense?

Also the point was based on a professional building you a harness.
Not buying parts and tools.
Way to take what I said out of context.
I do not make wiring harnesses before you ask about my experiences, I work on computers, and have alot of experience with custom harnesses and sleeving there, I am no professional in automotive wiring, so no need to judge me as if I were claiming so

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well to be honest, when buying harnesses for engines (mind you, i am speaking in the diesel engine category) i have to agree with slackjackoutlaw. The oem harnesses are quite expensive, but the labor for them tend to run twice as much if not more. This goes for various engines i have worked on. Paccar, caterpillar, detroit diesel, cummins, maxxforce international, hino, allison. Now, ive also had to do custom harnesses and rewire a whole cab or transmission and still, the labor is much more expensive then material. Pins are expensive aswell for oem, and alot of them do crossreference but regardless, labor is more than material in most cases. That goes for mechanical repairs aswell

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
Well to be honest, when buying harnesses for engines (mind you, i am speaking in the diesel engine category) i have to agree with slackjackoutlaw. The oem harnesses are quite expensive, but the labor for them tend to run twice as much if not more. This goes for various engines i have worked on. Paccar, caterpillar, detroit diesel, cummins, maxxforce international, hino, allison. Now, ive also had to do custom harnesses and rewire a whole cab or transmission and still, the labor is much more expensive then material. Pins are expensive aswell for oem, and alot of them do crossreference but regardless, labor is more than material in most cases. That goes for mechanical repairs aswell
Precisely, I only say this because I have observed it to be the same across the board. When I make a computer harness its the same deal, parts are 30-40% of the cost. The rest is labor

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Precisely, I only say this because I have observed it to be the same across the board. When I make a computer harness its the same deal, parts are 30-40% of the cost. The rest is labor
I appreciate when guys with actual technical knowledge like this share it here on the forum. :bigthumb:

Fwiw, I think my harness will be approx $2k for materials and $2-3k for labor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anyone have any more recent experiences with Tweak'd harnesses? Looking to purchase one from them soon.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Im still waiting for car to be assembled and completed before i slap on the harness. Looks good though and i think will make the wngine bay look cleaner

·
Registered
757 Posts
Anyone have any more recent experiences with Tweak'd harnesses? Looking to purchase one from them soon.
I have. I installed mine a couple months ago. I purchased a harness from Tweak'd that goes from my engine directly into my ProEFI, and includes connectors to all of the extra sensors/actuators that I am using with the ProEFI (MAP, IAT, UEGO, fuel press, Flex Fuel, clutch press, boost controller, wheel speed sensors, TRAC button and light, CAN display, and spool valve controller). I also purchased the MIL spec firewall connector option. I purchased this harness instead of a new Toyota harness for three reasons. 1) I knew there would be a LOT of modification needed to the Toyo harness to get all of the ProEFI sensors/actuators to work (not to mention the igniter relocation and transmission swap auto to manual), 2) I wanted to bypass the whole ProEFI jumper harness to keep the wiring near the ECM clean, and 3) (and perhaps the most important) I am not intimidated by wiring work, and could make modifications to the harness if I needed to.

Having said that, my overall impression with the harness is VERY GOOD. The quality of the materials and workmanship exceeds what I expected for the ~$1500 I spent on the harness. All of the critical parts of the harness were just right. I did have a couple of modifications to make, but most of those were my fault. I had to extend the Flex fuel and IACV wiring because I didn't request these long enough. I could have sent the harness back to Tweak'd for the adjustments (I believe free of charge too), but I wanted it done sooner so I did it myself. I also had to re-pin the clutch pressure and spool valve controller at the ProEFI because I didn't specify exactly where I wanted these, and Tweak'd put them on the wrong pins. Again, this could have been avoided if I gave them clear direction from the beginning. And that's about it. The harness was otherwise perfect. It looks good, and more importantly works perfectly. I would do this again without hesitation. Oh, and they also fixed the key-off sequence issue that would wipe out your ProEFI programming. The harness stays live for 10seconds after key-off to allow the ProEFI to do it's necessary housekeeping. So all good from that perspective too.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,180 Posts
The CNC plate is for the Mil-Spec harnesses. It's a plate that bolts onto the firewall where the factory rubber grommet used to. The Mil-Spec connector then fits into the plate so you don't have to drill a new hole in your firewall!
Cam, what do you charge for just this plate, connector, the cannon connectors for each side, and all the pins to fill them up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I'm having the same issue with one of their harness...
Sent it back already and still doesnt work.
When you turn the key ON , the Proefi relay doesnt turn ON and you get this buzzing sound from the engine bay.

241 - 260 of 260 Posts