Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of upgrading my stereo. However, I don't know anything about it. I did some research and there are few questions that I have. Some of them may sound dumb, so don't laugh.

1. What's the rear speaker size for the Supra? What's the mounting depth?

2. What are the advantages/disadvantages of having single sub-woofer vs. 2+ sub-woofers?

3. What size/how many sub-woofers can I put in the spare tire area? Is modification required to that "hump" area if a custom sub box is to be built? I would like to mount the subs in that area without compromising the trunk space, so is a flush mount, stealth box design possible? Would this design compromise the performance of the subs since top of the sub is covered? Don't they need to move a lot of air?

4. My headunit has 3 sets of pre-outs. It has an internal amp that's rated at 50Wx4. Can I connect the headunit's front speaker output though a crossover (part of a speaker/tweeter package) to power the tweeters and connect the front speaker pre-amp to an amp then connect to the same crossover then connect to the front speaker? Will this deliver clean signal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Joey

·
651 Posts
Allright.. I will do my job and attempt to tackle this one.

1. The stock rear speakers in a Supra are 5.25". It is possible to get most 6.5" speakers in the back with a bit of cutting to the back side of the speaker basket. Once you pop off the rear speaker panel it is rather self explanitory. Depth once you cut the basket is not an issue. If you do not want to cut, put any 5.25" speaker there. They are all easily installed.

2. The only advantages to having 2 subs vs 1 sub is more bass. That is true to a certain extent. Many factors to take into consideration. More that I care to explain effectively. 2-8" subs CAN (Notice the CAN!) produce more bass than a single 12" sub. That is if you are comparing subs of like specs are and power is linear.... Bottom line is this.. No benefit to one sub over 2. Bass is non-directional in nature so a left sub and a right sub is not important.

3. Do you have a Targa? If not... I can put so many subs back there you won't even be able to stand it! No modification is needed to put a box in the stock spare tire location. The top of the hump houses the fuel pump... you don't want to go jackin' with that! I have put 2-10's 2-12's & 3-10's pretty easily. The targa storage, if you have it, is the real issue to consider on this question.

4. You can use the provided power of the headunit to power your seperates but not in conjunction with the amp. If you feed the power of the radio into the crossover AND the power of the amplifier into the seperates passive crossover you will cook stuff in a hurry. Please put on a white,floppy chef hat if you decide to do this! Hook up the seperates to the amp, that is your best source of power for seperates.

Hope that helps you out in some way...

Thomas Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

1 - 2 of 2 Posts