Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
PHR Powered Pimp Moderator
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently running stock twins but i wanted to upgraded to bigger twins. i was thinking of getting twin ct-26's due to lack of money. if anyone has done this or has any input id appreciate it.

·
dank
409 Posts
If I had a penny every time this topic is discussed around here...

What you people don't realize is, is that CT-26s are HUGE. Especially for an inline-six cylinder in a production vehicle here in the 'States. Trying to fab up a pair of these things would not only be difficult, but probably nowhere near as practical and cost-effective as you think.

Don't even think about it. Save your pennies and purchase one of the relatively inexpensive single turbo kits out there.

G'luck with whatever you choose.

B

·
0 Posts
you'd spool at > 5000 rpm and be able to lay down about 700 rwhp, its just dumb though.

·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what if i did a single ct 26....... just asking. what would that compare to

B

·
0 Posts
a single ct-26 would be something toyota has already done... you know, 87-92 supras.
for whatever reason youd want to know, after making the custom mani and everything the stock ct26 turbo would probably be good for 340-350 rwhp on a 2jz-gte. in other words, the stock twins are better.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Stock CT-26 maxes out under 300rwhp!! (modified ones gives out about 400rwhp) So it's hardly and upgrade on the stocktwins that can lay out 470rwhp.

Like everybody else said here, forget about it. Just buy a single kit from Sound Performance or Boostlogic.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Krister said:
Stock CT-26 maxes out under 300rwhp!! (modified ones gives out about 400rwhp) So it's hardly and upgrade on the stocktwins that can lay out 470rwhp.

Like everybody else said here, forget about it. Just buy a single kit from Sound Performance or Boostlogic.
wtf are you talkin about? ct-26s are capable of much more then that..... im on my stock ct-26 and im pushing near 320hp at only about 12-13psi....

the efficiency range of the turbo is around 14-16psi ......so i could easily see 350 or even 400hp with a few mods ......ive seen many people with the stocker that are pushing near 400hp..and i believe there are a few who have made more then 400hp with it.

dont preach what you dont know please. thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
A ct-26 (from mk3) would not provide more air (cfm) then the stock twins peroid. Yes they (ct-12) are small but combined (which they run) flow more, a lot more!

My mod list (in sig) puts me about 325RWHP (@16psi) and 400RWTQ. A STOCK mk4 puts down on avg 300RWHP let alone with the mods I have. Now if I had a upgraded intercooler lets say I managed 350RWHP, a mk4 with those mods would put down 450RWHP+ (over 100RWHP increase).

Now given the mk4 with the ct-26 would generate more power (being a better flowing motor) but would not make up for the cfm of twin ct-12 / 100RWHP worth of turbo flow (as shown abov e). On the flip side of the coin a single ct-12 on a modded mk3 would put down around 260RWHP and not the 300+ from the ct-26 becasue it is so small. A twin ct-12 set up would net the mk3 with alot more power then a single ct-26

If you are looking at putting 2 (not single because at that point you would be down grading) of the ct-26's on that would be a definate HP advantage and upgrade. You would then have to look at the feasibility of the whole set up like cost, spool, custom fab etc.

I personaly would go the proven route of a single. You could make as much/more HP with quicker spool and reliability from a proven single set up.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

BA

:)

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I say go for it! A single CT26 with a 60-1 compressor upgrade. It has put down 440 rwhp on a 7M so it should be good for the same or better than the stock twins on a 2J and cheaper than replacing the twins. Use a T4 cast iron manifold (readily available for a 2JZGTE) and a simple adapter something like this:

Not the exact one you need but, you get the picture. Best part about a CT26 is the price. They are damn cheap to buy and cheap to upgrade and overhaul as well. I bet one could put down 500 rwhp with the right supporting mods and tuning on a 2J.

B

·
0 Posts
stock twins from the 2jz flow about the same as a 60-1 ct26 hybrid

anyway, if someone actually got a t4 mani, and modified it to take a toyo ct26 turbo id have to personally bitch slap them

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
isnt there already a topic like this being discussed? i havent been around in here that long, but i swear there are about 2-3 of these a month being brought up. that being said, i am sure there is a wealth of info laying just behind the magical orange "search" button

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i think the whole point here, is some want to stay with the stock twin setup and spool, not to mention the smog issues, but want to get a little more HP out of them. the 300z, rx7 and 3kgt all have stock twin upgrades, why cant the supra have them too?

·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all of the info. from what everyone is saying i think im just gonna get a sp single kit, its proven and probably around the same cost after everything is all said and done. now all i have to do is figure out what setup i want to go with. i guess im gonna have to give them a call. Thanks for all of the info.

·
dank
409 Posts
twinturbozs said:
the 300z, rx7 and 3kgt all have stock twin upgrades, why cant the supra have them too?
They have such upgrades because their motors aren't suitable to take extremely high boost levels from relatively large single turbo setups. Built bottom-ends for the V6s in the 300 and 3KGT are needed, as well as Street/Race ported motors for the FD car...

Money seems to be the issue. Why would manufacturers produce stock twin turbo upgrades for the Supra when there's already-proven single turbo kits performing WONDERFULLY with the 2JZ?

Quite simply, the 300, 3KGT and FD can't go single without having to do extensive motor work. So, inexpensive, more practical stock twin turbo upgrades come into the picture for 'em.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
as mentioned by twinturbozs, some of us california guys would like a stock-"looking" set-up to produce slightly bigger power than BPU+++... in CA, it's illegal to go single turbo... if you get pulled over, and if the cop knows what he's looking at (or just wants to be an ass), he can send you to the state ref..

which means you've gotta convert everything back to stock...

from the frequency of these posts, i'd say there is *some* demand for a set-up like this... how many? no idea but it would behoove someone to investigae creating a reliable kit.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
will the ct-26 bolt on the MK4 supra turbo manifold? if so, i will upgrade the ct-26 and go twin ct-26.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts