Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey haven't had to ask for advice for a while on here but my car has had this intermittent knock thats driving me crazy for a while now. heres what ive observed. it never makes the knock on cold start. 99% of the time it only makes the noise after driving around for a bit. then parking. then right when i crank it over i can hear its making the knock. and when i fire it you can hear and feel a pretty hard knocking noise. if i put it in gear and start driving the knock goes away and i don't hear it at all for the rest of the time driving. it doesn't do this all the time either so its really hard to diagnose since its usually in a parking lot where i don't have any tools or jack to get under the car and look. this past autocross i flew threw the finish sideways bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd and it awakened the knock lol. then after i went back to grid and idled a bit it went away. i think pushing the clutch in gets it to quite down. my gut feeling is the flywheel bolts are loose by the sound and when it makes the noise. i've pulled the inspection covers though and pried on the flywheel and it doesn't seem to budge at all. i didn't pry crazy hard though cause i don't want to bend the cage that holds the plates and can't get behind the flywheel.

then i stumbled across this thread and this car makes a very similar knock and he's saying its normal so are others :run:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?587368-Exeddy-triple-plate-clutch-cause-knocking-noise

at about :40 on this video it sounds a lot like that maybe not as loud but similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-hglxwWl4#t=45

this ones does too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-hrz-m5So&feature=youtu.be

to me it shouldn't make any knocking noise when the clutch is engaged. mine consistently make the gingle noise when disengaged but the intermittent deep loud knock is really freaking me out. i want to find out what it is before drags start im considering just pulling the trans and checking the bolts but its sorta a pita with the os giken twin......

i also just changed the trans and engine oil both looked fine. so its not engine internals or trans. the only other thing i can think of is the crank pulley but i already destroyed one of those and it never knocked or anything just exploded of in the burnout box out of know where lol. i also put a wrench on it and it was pretty dam tight.

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,580 Posts
flying sideways on limiter can starve the engine cuz the g forces has pushed all the oil to one side of the pan thus starving the oil pick up and pump. just a thought

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flying sideways on limiter can starve the engine cuz the g forces has pushed all the oil to one side of the pan thus starving the oil pick up and pump. just a thought
i always have it a quart over full. and just drained the oil and it looked fine. ive rod knocked motors and if a rod was knocking like this there would be signs in the oil. im gonna take it for a spin and try to get a video of the noise soon.

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so pulled my trans cause i don't like to assume things are fine and the flywheel wasn't loose lol. good to know though. i guess mine just randomly makes that knocking noise like in those videos or its something else.....I'm just not going to worry about it unless the noise changes or gets worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts