Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the wires going to the connector on the fuel pump almost burn my fingers when I touch them. Is this normal? This seems mighty dangerous being that there is fuel below... Also I'm starting to hear a humming noise coming from the pumps at idle. What causes this?

W

·
0 Posts
Danger!

HKS T04R said:
I noticed that the wires going to the connector on the fuel pump almost burn my fingers when I touch them. Is this normal? This seems mighty dangerous being that there is fuel below... Also I'm starting to hear a humming noise coming from the pumps at idle. What causes this?
Your car and possibly your life is at risk! Those overheating wires will eventually melt and possibly catch fire!

You need much thicker wire (lower gauge) to support the additional current of the second pump.

M

·
0 Posts
Most upgraded pump setups come with 10-12 gauge wires, and inline fuses and/or latching relays. All this to prevent wires from melting and catching fire under doubled load.

How are your pumps wired?

I had question for others, is it normal that my fuel pressure drops down to 10 PSI after prolonged idle? I have it set at 40 PSI w/out vacuum at idle, but it steadily goes down the longer I let the car idle.....till it reaches as low as 10 PSI.

S

·
0 Posts
MONSTER said:
Most upgraded pump setups come with 10-12 gauge wires, and inline fuses and/or latching relays. All this to prevent wires from melting and catching fire under doubled load.

How are your pumps wired?

I had question for others, is it normal that my fuel pressure drops down to 10 PSI after prolonged idle? I have it set at 40 PSI w/out vacuum at idle, but it steadily goes down the longer I let the car idle.....till it reaches as low as 10 PSI.
That's why I run 2 10 gauge wires from the battery to 2 bosch relays and 10 gauge again to each pump into the tank.

Before I did this, my wires melted last year, when I melted my motor. I def think this, as well as my previous tuners having removed so much fuel on my GCC had a LOT to do with me melting it...:rolleyes:

Wolf,
My fuel pressure NEVER drops that low no matter how long it's idling. From my experience, something is up. Do you smell any fuel?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Are you using stock pumps? If so they pull a hell of a lot of current maxed out. 21 amps from what I read. The complete wiring should be upgraded if that's what you have.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was running the twin stock pumps that came with my Sound Performance Fuel system. My system was installed by Titan Motorsports and they only ran a single 12 guage line using one relay and one fuse to power both fuel pumps running at 12 volts.

This caused my wires to get VERY HOT and MELT. The fuses MELTED and the relays MELTED.

My SP fuel system came supplied with two relays and two fuses so that a seperate dedicated line could be run to each pump. Even though they were suplied Titan motorsports only used one fuse and one relay for both. This will not work properly and the wiring will overheat and eventually melt. DANGEROUS.

Thank god I took my car to Toyomoto and Lance showed me the wiring melting.

He had a trick solution that allowed me to use the fuel computer so that the pumps only turn on when the car comes on the same way that it does from the factory. Also the fuel computer controls one of the pumps and so it alternates between low and high voltage when on and off boost. In addition we got rid of the second stock MKIV pump and replaced it with another pump that does not use as much current.

This system works really well and he has dynoed cars making in excess of 780rwhp with this system. It uses a much lower overall voltage and is a lot easier on the electrical wiring.
You can give him a call and he can give you some more details on it.

Or feel free to email me for more information.

Hope this helps.
-pete

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, alot has happened since I last left this thread... I wound up rewiring the pumps with 10 gauge wire but I wish I had read some of your posts first because my pumps are wired whereas the hot wire comes off one pump to the second and to a single relay. When I had the 16 gauge wiring the lines were super hot but now everything is cool. Should I rewire to double hot line off each pump and two realys?

C

·
0 Posts
Pete,

Electrical problems and Nero are nothing new.

I bought dual electric fans from him a while back after he lied and told me that they flowed more air than the stock fan assembally. I was stupid enough to trust him back then.

*one of his installers* installed it incorrectly, frying my stock relay and wires. Then, I brought it back to him, not once, but twice to get it fixed and both times *his installers* failed. Finnally I bit the bullet and learned about how to run electrical appliances. Now I have it wired properly with two relays and 10 gauge wire. No problems since Nero.

I have been trying to get him to trade me back for my stock fans for over 6 months now to no avail.

He was supposed to send me a stock fan assembally in October (after months of requesting it), however, he only sent me the one electric fan that works with the stock fan assembally two days before I had to return to London.

Ever hear of Neroflation? I'm sure you get the idea.

Now when am I going to get the rest of my assembally? I decided that there was no hope and purchased one from Jay Marks Toyota for over $300.

ALSO, Nero was using Powerhouse Racing, Inc. in Texas as a reference in the past. This is why I went to him in the first place; I thought I had found a legitament performance shop that was close by. Guess I was wrong.

How many different names has Nero's "ventures" had? Lets see... PHR Online (Powerhouse Racing Online), one intermediary name, and now Titanmotorsports.

This all CANNOT and should not be applied to his brother Bottle. Bottle is a great guy and has helped me over the years far more than Nero ever did.

AFAIK, Toyomoto is great, though they aren't the most timely and available people around. MVP, SP, and Powerhouse Racing (in Texas) have to be the best shops around (that I know of).

My thoughts.

A

·
0 Posts
Nirav Deliwala --- Titan Motorsports BEWARE

I have heard things about Nero through many people with regard to the way he conducts business. In fact, I have had experience with him myself. Before I purchased my Supra, I accompanied a friend to Orlando so he could get his car up to BPU standards. This was when Nero was still operating under the name PHR Online. I have NEVER seen such unprofessional work in my life. It's one thing if you are going to run a shop out of your garage -- IF YOU CAN BACK IT UP WITH COMPETENCE. Unfortunately, Nero could not. He most likely runs Titan Motorsports as he did his prior business, with little regard for the customer or his work. One could refer to his work as shoddy at best, most notably with wiring difficulties. My friend was forced to pull over on the side of the road due to overheating problems after the installation of a downpipe and electric fan kit. Nero could only suggest that he leave his car out of commission until it was 'convenient' for him to fix the problem. Not a way to run a business. My recommendation to all the Supra owners in Florida is to stay clear away from Nero and any business he is running.

·
Registered
763 Posts
carcnoid said:
Pete,

Electrical problems and Nero are nothing new.

I bought dual electric fans from him a while back after he lied and told me that they flowed more air than the stock fan assembally. I was stupid enough to trust him back then.

*one of his installers* installed it incorrectly, frying my stock relay and wires. Then, I brought it back to him, not once, but twice to get it fixed and both times *his installers* failed. Finnally I bit the bullet and learned about how to run electrical appliances. Now I have it wired properly with two relays and 10 gauge wire. No problems since Nero.

I have been trying to get him to trade me back for my stock fans for over 6 months now to no avail.

He was supposed to send me a stock fan assembally in October (after months of requesting it), however, he only sent me the one electric fan that works with the stock fan assembally two days before I had to return to London.

Ever hear of Neroflation? I'm sure you get the idea.

Now when am I going to get the rest of my assembally? I decided that there was no hope and purchased one from Jay Marks Toyota for over $300.

ALSO, Nero was using Powerhouse Racing, Inc. in Texas as a reference in the past. This is why I went to him in the first place; I thought I had found a legitament performance shop that was close by. Guess I was wrong.

How many different names has Nero's "ventures" had? Lets see... PHR Online (Powerhouse Racing Online), one intermediary name, and now Titanmotorsports.

This all CANNOT and should not be applied to his brother Bottle. Bottle is a great guy and has helped me over the years far more than Nero ever did.

AFAIK, Toyomoto is great, though they aren't the most timely and available people around. MVP, SP, and Powerhouse Racing (in Texas) have to be the best shops around (that I know of).

My thoughts.

I really don't want to turn this into a thread to bash Nero. Nero is a good guy but just does not run a shop that is any ware near the calibler of the top 5 tuners in the country.

I will say that I have a lot of unfavorable experience dealing with him but he has always 'tried' to make good most things.

He also has some of the best prices in the country. :D

His shop has the capability to do excellent work and they constantly are trying to improve them selves. Greatness comes with time. ;) I will give them credit for that.

I also agree, Bottle is very cool and usually gives his all to provide good service.

As far as Toyomoto goes, It may seem like they are sometimes unavailable but it is only becuase they have a tramendous amount of work. I had to call ahead to get my car scheduled in. When I did this they dedicated 100% of thier time and effort to my car until it was done and done right. They would rather tell you to bring your car to their shop when they have the next available time slot instead of telling you to bring your car right now and letting it sit untouched for two months. This sets the customers expectations realistically and allows the customer to plan accordingly. I can not say enough good things about Lance and Toyomoto. My dealings with them have been 100% positive. They are straight up people and they straight up know thier shit. Period.

Pete

C

·
0 Posts
I agree with you there. They definatly know what they are doing down at Toyomoto. It is very difficult getting them to do work. How did you get them on the phone? I called twice a day for a week to get a hold of them to try and schedule a time to get my car tuned (one month in advance).

If you've got the time, Lance is definatly worth it. He really knows his stuff.

At least Nero picks up his phones... well, Bottle picks up the phones.

Its not a lets bash Nero thread. I just find it interesting that you have had similar problems to mine. People should know that Nero has had problems with electrical wiring before their car goes up in flames.

·
Registered
763 Posts
carcnoid said:
I agree with you there. They definatly know what they are doing down at Toyomoto. It is very difficult getting them to do work. How did you get them on the phone? I called twice a day for a week to get a hold of them to try and schedule a time to get my car tuned (one month in advance).

If you've got the time, Lance is definatly worth it. He really knows his stuff.

At least Nero picks up his phones... well, Bottle picks up the phones.

Its not a lets bash Nero thread. I just find it interesting that you have had similar problems to mine. People should know that Nero has had problems with electrical wiring before their car goes up in flames.
I strongly agree. People should know about the potential hazards of the wiring problems. These things can cost a fellow supra owner a lot of money and possibly there life.

I guess I get lucky. Sometimes it is hard to get Toyomoto on the phone. I usually just call a few times a day at different times and usually get them on the phone within a day or two. If Lance spent all day on the phone answering questions he would never be able to finish any work.

Danny recently started working there and he now answers the phone 90% of the time and can answer most questions as well as get you scheduled in as quickly as possible.

-pete

C

·
0 Posts
Dan works there now? Great! My only complaint was that they couldn't provide a heightened level of customer service because they were always too busy. I'm glad to hear that they are adressing that issue because that was the only one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts