Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else besides me is thinking about running these turbos? They are the latest to drop from Garrett, in Precision terminology they are a "4849" which is super small and should be super responsive in a 2JZ twin setup. Each one is rated to flow as much as the original GT3582r (6162) and as much as a GTX3071r Gen2 (5455)! This should be the fastest spooling 1000whp option if the turbos do in fact flow what Garrett says they do!

Manifold is easy, I can get the SupraStore twin manifold with twin G series flanges no problem instead of the EFR flanges.

These do come in .72 or .92 externally gated vband housings, I would probably do the .92 since the wheels are so small to begin with I doubt lag will be an issue with the biggest AR.

Also comes in mirror reverse rotation, which would be cool for turbo #2

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would love to see how these go, unfortunately wheel size doesn't guarantee spool as aero is a lot to do with it. The only result I've seen of the G25-550 so far is running the .49 housing on a 2litre and it's full boost at just before 4000rpm which is decent for a 49lb/min turbo but not magical, probably about 500rpm laggier than I'd expect from a GTX2860R so not comparable considering the wheel sizes would make one assume or hope you'd have the same spool and much more power.

That is of course the first result I've seen, but sometimes if it seems too good to be true - it probably is. At this stage I'd guess EFR7163 twins would be the safer bet for the equivalent goal.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure the aero on this new G line is more advanced than the aero from their Gen2 stuff. Supposedly these G turbos were designed from a clean sheet of paper, unlike the Gen2 stuff which uses the same bearing and turbine wheel since the old school GT days. Saw a video from a Garrett endingeer stating that they incorporated the new turbine wheel design in the G seires from their Formula 1 turbos

I have a feeling we will see the G25-660 flow more and outspool the EFR7163

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a feeling we will see the G25-660 flow more and outspool the EFR7163
I certainly don't have enough info to debate this, do you have any to support it? Both compressor maps just lean against 60lb/min, so compressor flow in theory should be comparable. The EFR has a titanium aluminide turbine wheel which is well known to do awesome things to transient response, and all Garrett have been claiming is that these turbos flow more than similar sized things... which is true but it could come at a cost.

For what it's worth, the spool of the G25-550 on the 2litre I mentioned earlier is no better than a typical EFR7163 result on a 2litre - but with much less power than the EFR is capable of.

Here's a G25-550 result: https://www.facebook.com/RSTuningUK/photos/a.203761802999621.46818.202606226448512/1940390756003375/?type=3

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
790 Posts
Instead of new thread, anyone have any info in regards to these turbos. I have been building a twin EFR 7163 Supra for sometime. While I still prefer the 7163s for their turbine wheel, light weight center housings and integrated BOV, I am very interested and curious in these 25-660’s, especially since they are both rated at 60lbs.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,144 Posts
If these wheels were accessible I would have had Albert M put them in my JDM twins, but they are like 500$ a wheel. Would love these wheels.

·
790 Posts
That would be pretty freaking cool setup.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Instead of new thread, anyone have any info in regards to these turbos. I have been building a twin EFR 7163 Supra for sometime. While I still prefer the 7163s for their turbine wheel, light weight center housings and integrated BOV, I am very interested and curious in these 25-660’s, especially since they are both rated at 60lbs.
Still been hoping to see more results etc on these, though I do know of someone who is running two G25-660s on an RB28DETT in an R34 GT-R time attack car and they went WAY over 1000hp - pretty laggy, being all in well after 6000rpm... granted that is a lot of turbo and a lot of boost, but still. It held lots of power to 9000rpm however, and they were able to get decent times so it overall worked ok but that is a huge dollar build to make it work.

Anecdotally from what I've seen the G25-660 flow wise seem more comparable to EFR7670s than the EFR7163s, but also more comparable with the EFR7670s in terms of response than the EFR7163s as well. Small frame, small wheels, but not necessarily the boost thresholds you'd expect from the size.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I certainly don't have enough info to debate this, do you have any to support it? Both compressor maps just lean against 60lb/min, so compressor flow in theory should be comparable. The EFR has a titanium aluminide turbine wheel which is well known to do awesome things to transient response, and all Garrett have been claiming is that these turbos flow more than similar sized things... which is true but it could come at a cost.

For what it's worth, the spool of the G25-550 on the 2litre I mentioned earlier is no better than a typical EFR7163 result on a 2litre - but with much less power than the EFR is capable of.

Here's a G25-550 result: https://www.facebook.com/RSTuningUK/photos/a.203761802999621.46818.202606226448512/1940390756003375/?type=3

I would agree the small BW EFRs are probably better for most applications. But a word of caution. Several companies have already made dual turbo manifolds. They are all very tight fits. I'm not sure they produce any real advantage with aftermarket turbos. Unlike the factory system, the aftermarket dual turbo isn't staged. That is basically 2 independent 3-cylinder turbos. A single big turbo won't really be at a disadvantage.

Beyond that Garret now has the G42-1200 and G42-1450 and BW has 3 newly revised EFRs: the 8474, 9274, and 9280. These have new maps that can feed in a lot more air and often handle higher boosts. For E85 or race gas Supras a big deal. For pump gas...maybe with methanol injection.

·
790 Posts
The newer big singles from both parties are definitely intriguing! Makes me ponder my 7163 twins decision...but then I remember my first ride in a RSP HKS twin Supra in 1999/2000 and just grin.

Curious to see what my 10:1cr, e85 7163 on full boost will do...course it will be through a glide so #s will be different ball park.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The newer big singles from both parties are definitely intriguing! Makes me ponder my 7163 twins decision...but then I remember my first ride in a RSP HKS twin Supra in 1999/2000 and just grin.

Curious to see what my 10:1cr, e85 7163 on full boost will do...course it will be through a glide so #s will be different ball park.
What boost level?

·
790 Posts
I plan on maxing them out while utilizing the speed sensors. I want to see what they are capable of.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What rev limit? BTW, can't running the turbo at its max speed end up being rather expensive?

My thumbnail calculation indicates you will run out of boost in the mid-to-high 30s and that will be about 1000hp or a bit less. IAT will be a big factor.

·
790 Posts
The 7163 EFRs like high boost so that’s where I plan on taking them. I haven’t heard anyone taking twin 7163s to their potential in our community and that’s my plan. The motor is ready and willing, so I am going to see what it can do...safely

·
Registered
881 Posts
I wrote a short review of the G25-660 0.92 that I put on my 1j here:

Would be surprised if I have 100 miles on it yet, but so far I'm loving it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wrote a short review of the G25-660 0.92 that I put on my 1j here:

Would be surprised if I have 100 miles on it yet, but so far I'm loving it.
Thanks for sharing your review! From what I have gathered from the 911 and R35 GTR crowd using them is that twin G25s spool VERY quick, I bet it would be a very stout setup on a 2JZ

I am almost done putting my twin GTX3582R Gen2 T3 QSV 3.4L 10:1 VVTi setup together, so that will be interesting. And a local buddy is in the early stages of doing a twin GTX3076r gen2 .82ar vband setup, I should have his big twin vband manifold this week actually.

The new G30 frame turbos are out, and I think those would be really interesting as well!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks for sharing your review! From what I have gathered from the 911 and R35 GTR crowd using them is that twin G25s spool VERY quick, I bet it would be a very stout setup on a 2JZ

I am almost done putting my twin GTX3582R Gen2 T3 QSV 3.4L 10:1 VVTi setup together, so that will be interesting. And a local buddy is in the early stages of doing a twin GTX3076r gen2 .82ar vband setup, I should have his big twin vband manifold this week actually.

The new G30 frame turbos are out, and I think those would be really interesting as well!
You're welcome, figured there will be other people out there who use the G-series turbos eventually, so someone has to take the first dive. Quick spooling is certainly one way to put it, my car is fun on the street again, at normal cruising around speeds. The old setup I had to drive like my hair was on fire to get the thing out of its own way it felt like...

Your setup is uh... frankly, nuts. I love the sound of that. Sounds like a lot of the "man, wouldn't it be cool if..." conversations that happen among gearheads haha.

On the note of the G30, I think that might be about the sweet spot for guys road racing, or those fortunate enough to live at low altitudes. Would probably also be a pretty solid turbo for someone wanting good drag power but still wanting a friendly street car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts