Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a TWIN MAF setup?

I currently stuffed 550rwhp thru one, and thought about adding a second one and see what performance it yeilds

anyone have thoughts or been this route already?

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's been done by a number of folks. I think Clint Pohler was the first on his SC300 with a 2JZ-GTE running HKS Twins.
http://www.turboimports.com/clinpohtwinl.html

He dynoed 765 rwhp with a 70 shot on that setup.

I think Grant here on the forums is also running a dual MAF.

The idea of a MAF actually measuring the airflow vs calculating it with a MAP based system has always been apealing to me even though I went the traditional VPC route.

Mike

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Henri is actually switching to a VPC or some other type of speed density system. He has been putting down low numbers and he thinks the dual MAF setup is the culprit. I remember a good thread about this subject a little while back. Although the dual MAF sounds like a good idea, many people said that something about splitting the voltage between the two MAFs wasn't the best thing. try searching and you will turn up some very good results.

If it makes a difference, I too was looking into the dual MAF setup. After reading some old threads I decided against it.

Look on Ebay for used VPCs if you want a cheap setup. You can get one with both sensors for $400 if you shop around, not much more than a dual MAF setup. You could also look into the new PHR MAP ecu.

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, if you ever find a VPC for $400 send it my way I'll buy it for sure

I never see them lower then 600

But thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm talking without the harness. There was one with a buy now for $525 a couple days ago. It may still be up there. You have to be patient to get better deals than that.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
I don't understand the advantage to running to MAF's? Just to trick the computer into reading twice as much air coming into the intake? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
yup go join nemkiv.com henrie runs a dual set up like stated.
hes thinging about switch over to vpc but still unsure his car is an all hands on car meaning he finds tricks that work and work well ..he loves to do custom work on that sweet car of his .

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Wait, isn't that a contradiction then? If one is physical restriction, wouldn't having 2 have them be even more of a restriction? Are you talking about air restriction?

VeilsideTT said:
No, the MAF itself is a physical restriction. Running 2 of them allows for more airflow.

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes ... 1 will only flow so much air 2 will reduce the restriction

picture a bucket of water with a hole in the bottom
.. now picture a bucket with the same hole X 2
it will flow more water with 2 rather then 1.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, thats exactly how it works. If you put them in line with eachother you would obviously still have the same restriction.

That diagram shows why I say you could probably get a VPC for nearly the same price. You would need an extra MAF, extra air filter and custom piping.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Craig King said:
So a configuration like this:
sweet diagram

Brett

·
Banned
336 Posts
A AZ car just did over 640RWHP through a single maf. The maf isnt the restriction. He'll be posting the details himself soon.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
Yeah, thats exactly how it works. If you put them in line with eachother you would obviously still have the same restriction.

That diagram shows why I say you could probably get a VPC for nearly the same price. You would need an extra MAF, extra air filter and custom piping.
MAF's are pretty cheap second-hand. You can find them for $50-100. As for the piping and filter, this can be done a variety of ways. Regardless, the piping and the filter can be done rather cheaply, especially if you can weld. You can do this project quite easily for less than $300, assuming you already have an S-AFC. I was going to try this route, but my project has taken many months (no thanks to a lazy mechanic, but that's another story :mad: ) and gave me the chance to finally decide on the AEM.

·
Registered
575 Posts
redsupra007 said:
do you just splice into the existing MAF harness to wire the second MAF.
Nope. You have to feed both of them seperately into a fuel controller or some electronics to perform an "averaging" function. Acutally a little more complicated than that as the MAF voltage is not completely linear with airflow.

Mike

·
Registered
575 Posts
Jack B said:
A AZ car just did over 640RWHP through a single maf. The maf isnt the restriction. He'll be posting the details himself soon.
Pretty surprising without some flow bypassing the MAF as has been done before. A number of folks have seen the MAF voltage maxing out near 540-550 rwhp.

I'm looking forward to hearing the details.

Mike

1 - 20 of 35 Posts