Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow supra fans and owners im planning on purchising a mkIV supra mind you this will be my first import purchase ever so im not real familiar with the whole thing just yet but i think this might be the best way to learn anyway my question is what am i better off buying a tt or a na im looking to heavily modify the car so what is the best way to go also which transmission should i look for auto or manual and if there is anyone out there who can help me to maybe give me some type of platform to go off of to get the most power out of it or if there are any types of books that might cover different build ups id like to go 10s if possible or faster so any help would be greatly appreciated so please let me know if you can help me thanks to all and happy boosting

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
few things...first off youd be better searching for each individual question you may have... but ill give you the basic run down (my opinion)

if you havent driven a high power (300+) hp car before, definitely get the n/a, even with stock turbos if you put them in true twin the torque comes on hard and can easily snap the rear end out.

if youre looking to modify heavily, then DEFINITELY get the tt, but like i said, driving experience: saftey to you and the car, takes precedent.

in terms of which tranny, i say manual..it can hold the power better than the stock auto, which is said to have trouble once the pwoer levels climb over 500. there are many upgrades for it that make it stronger, but you dont need to do anything to the manual aside from a clutch. if youre going strictly for drag racing though, id say go auto, easier to launch and much more consistant unless youre a badass driver (well they will still be more consistant).

these cars are very capable of 10s and 10's have happened in everything from stock twins (with nitrous) to a T88. the modifying is up to you, lots of ways to do it and get good results, just depends on what youre looking for...spool characteristics, killer top end, road racing, etc.

books, read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell...an unbelievable amount of information in there.

Mark C.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a ton that definately helps me out there p.s. i have had some higher performance cars just never played with anything turbo or for that mutch even foreign for that matter i was always into the older muscle cars but like i said thanks that gives me a good start

·
gettin' irie
1,793 Posts
how old are you? if u think you are old enough to handle the responsibility of a TT then go for it. with proper care they are tons of fun. u must be safe though or you are wasting your time and money

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im 22 and very capable of handling a car like this i usually drive trans ams for summer vehicles but i wanted something that no one else has around here i also drag race a 9 second alcohol injected 76 455 trans am but i want to try a my hand at this import scene seems like the hot ticket lately

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
niiice i like your style, my uncle and i (his car though) built up his 76 trans am, it has the last edition of the pontiac 455 crate engine, its bored .060 over with a decently lopey cam and a holley 850. theres tons of power left in it but 500+ wheel on pump isnt bad for a street car (especially when he runs 225's) if youve driven cars like a 9 second alky ta youre going to want the turbo no doubt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you have aol instant messanger or anything like that id like to ask you a few more questions about you seem like you know a good deal about them my sn is icanbyorsuprman

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok now that ive done a little homework on supras im going to get a twin turbo six speed now my question is what size cams are going to be the best for running in this i plan on keeping the stock turbos just get new ones or get them rebuilt if i need to the car only has about 36,000 miles on it adult owned and driven i was looking at hks cams which is better the 264 or the 272 lift and do they require any type of head work to be done other then titanium springs which i was going to put in anyway and also what else can help me get my performance up there like i said im looking to run tens or so will i be able to do it with the stock turbos or will i have to change to a single turbo also what type of clutch would be best to go with to be able to handle anything i throw at it any other performance tips would be greatly appreciated thanks and happy boosting

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
hey i put your screen name in my buddy list, ill IM you when you get online, if you see me first its AXAdiablo

lots of stuff to cover, ill give you supra101 :D

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
when you first get the car cams are the least of you worrys. :)
I am on MSN messenger too Im me and I will help you out. I have an auto and love the thing. :)6 spd's are fun too. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts