Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a twin plate, and im curious, how is the driveability on it?

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
So far, it's not too bad. I've only got about 120 miles of experience on my Exedy twin carbon clutch, but I wouldn't categorize it as a "daily driver" type of clutch either. It engages a lot harder than stock and you have to be pretty conscious of what you're doing at all times. But, it's actually quite slippable and I have yet to stall it (even starting on hills). I'll tell you more after this coming weekend when I put it to some real use at high boost! ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a OS twin clutch. It is completely round, so its not like its a puck clutch, so hopefully it isnt too bad.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I would think it would be a pain in the a$$ for daily driving in traffic

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dot have near the power you guys are pushing but soon hopefully, i have a twin 6 puck and its not too bad, you ahve to get used to it, and rev up in first and let off really slow, but so long as you are matching rpm's insted of clutchin you wouldnt even know its different, you can only tell when you are gas'in hard, makes them break loose alot quicker, it is gonna depend on material, whether its organic, ceramic or kevlar, i have ceramic and i love it, but i have alot of touch with my car

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
I can tell you one thing...it makes rev matching on downshifts a dream! However, you also have to generally rev higher and shift faster to avoid falling on your face too. ;)

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Pros:

Car revs faster
Weighs a lot less (27 pounds of rotating weight lost in my case)
Car is more responsive (you feel more connected to it)
Tolerates a lot of slippage
Rebuildable

Cons:

Harder to launch the car
Harder to drive slowly (traffic)
Must shift faster in general
Makes a lot of noise (rattles, particularly with A/C on)
Requires heat to hold torque (my carbon disc version anyway)

How is that for starters? :)

Steve T.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good so far. I didnt know they made noise too, guh. I hate excess noise.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
then maybe a twin plate clutch isnt for you. Ive had people ask me whats wrong with my car because of the noise the clutch+lw flywheel makes... my car is single turbo with cams and full exhaust with no cats, and i can hear my clutch+flywheel chatter over the exhaust when walking away from my car while the timer is on. My pedal pressure is lighter than stock though, and its very slippable to a point, but it grabs very hard.

oh yeah, i have the blitz twin disc.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
If you don't like "extra noise", a multi-disc clutch with lightweight flywheel setup is absolutely not for you. It's amazing how sheltered we are by the stock dual mass flywheel! :)

Steve T.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently bought my car with a twin disk in it, tho I dont know the brand. I do know its a pain in traffic...hell I stalled it 3 times bringin it home...haha. It certainly holds the power, thats for sure. Heat up the tires, speed shift from 1st to 2nd, and it'll slam the power down hard enough to make the CD skip (TTC, BPU+). Did that once or twice while gettin used to it, now I'm gettin better.

SupraSpeedMKIV,
Does your clutch whine REALLY loud at idle with the pedal out in neutral? The speculation on my clutch is its a Blitz as well, but I'm in Mexico and the car is in MI so I havent pulled the inspection plates.

·
Registered
188 Posts
SupraSpeedMKIV said:
then maybe a twin plate clutch isnt for you. Ive had people ask me whats wrong with my car because of the noise the clutch+lw flywheel makes... my car is single turbo with cams and full exhaust with no cats, and i can hear my clutch+flywheel chatter over the exhaust when walking away from my car while the timer is on. My pedal pressure is lighter than stock though, and its very slippable to a point, but it grabs very hard.

oh yeah, i have the blitz twin disc.

i have an ogura twin plate. I have the same problem with the noise, but you do get used to it yourself but its true about people thinking theres somthing wrong with the car. In traffic its a pain in the ass (especially on hills). It is slippable while slowly letting it out but does grab hard also. No difference in pedal pressure that i can see.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have the rps carbon carbon twin plate i love it. same pros and cons as steves posts. the engagement is alot rougher and shorter than stock but you got to love all the pulls you can do and it takes it and takes it and takes it and then finally when it goes out its only like 400 dollars to rebuild. its worth the money if you know how to drive well and can get used to the clutch and the noise it makes.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i set my pedal pressure alot lighter on mine but i dont know what you guys are talking about when it comes to noise though, i have a fidanza aluminum flywheel along with my clutch and i get no feed back on the outside, the ceramic makes a whine if you slip it going into 1st, but none idleing....

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine has stock flywheel, that should reduce chatter shouldnt it? Isnt most of the noise from the LTW flywheel?

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Stock flywheel will absolutely dampen the noise. Most of my pluses on the list will also be negated by the stock flywheel since yours will behave much more like the stock car since the flywheel (not the clutch) is why it acts so differently.

What kind of clutch has a stock flywheel and 2 or more clutch discs? I've never heard of this and didn't think it was possible. The RPS carbon/carbon is available with a heavier flywheel, but it's certainly not a stock flywheel.

Steve T.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you buy a fly wheel speratly, onnly thing that makes it any different is an aluminum flywheel is lighter and has less inerta to start moving, they dont come together, at least no where that i have ever looked, a stock flywheel is just as strong but solid insted of a seperate teething ring

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ok so then whats a good daily driver Clutch? $600 TRD single plate? how much HP can those take and how much can the stock handle? Im not thinking about much HP on mine ill prob just get DP, exhaust, intercooler, short shifter, intake just simple thing and call it that for a while so prob will be around 370-380hp max ..

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
god, i have to buy a supra soon!!!! i want to write off 380 like its nothing too... my eclipse only pushes 260 and it was a bitch to get it there... i physically need a supra or i might explode...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts