Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
So far, it's not too bad. I've only got about 120 miles of experience on my Exedy twin carbon clutch, but I wouldn't categorize it as a "daily driver" type of clutch either. It engages a lot harder than stock and you have to be pretty conscious of what you're doing at all times. But, it's actually quite slippable and I have yet to stall it (even starting on hills). I'll tell you more after this coming weekend when I put it to some real use at high boost! ;)

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
I can tell you one thing...it makes rev matching on downshifts a dream! However, you also have to generally rev higher and shift faster to avoid falling on your face too. ;)

Steve T.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
Pros:

Car revs faster
Weighs a lot less (27 pounds of rotating weight lost in my case)
Car is more responsive (you feel more connected to it)
Tolerates a lot of slippage
Rebuildable

Cons:

Harder to launch the car
Harder to drive slowly (traffic)
Must shift faster in general
Makes a lot of noise (rattles, particularly with A/C on)
Requires heat to hold torque (my carbon disc version anyway)

How is that for starters? :)

Steve T.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
If you don't like "extra noise", a multi-disc clutch with lightweight flywheel setup is absolutely not for you. It's amazing how sheltered we are by the stock dual mass flywheel! :)

Steve T.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
Stock flywheel will absolutely dampen the noise. Most of my pluses on the list will also be negated by the stock flywheel since yours will behave much more like the stock car since the flywheel (not the clutch) is why it acts so differently.

What kind of clutch has a stock flywheel and 2 or more clutch discs? I've never heard of this and didn't think it was possible. The RPS carbon/carbon is available with a heavier flywheel, but it's certainly not a stock flywheel.

Steve T.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
Racer X,

Keep in mind that the Supra has a dual mass flywheel stock...probably something you're not used to from the DSM world. Big difference if you are referring to cars that don't come with dual mass flywheel designs...which is something that makes the Supra TT very quirky when you remove it.

Steve T.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
There are some additional quirks about the clutch I wouldn't mind discussing with you West...if you don't mind. We can go to PM or e-mail for it if you have the time.

Steve T.

WEST said:
I have the EXEDY Stage 5 Tripple.

My clutch has the same Pros and Cons as what Steve said.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
Quirky meaning you get a lot of noise and vibration that you never had to deal with before. They rev MUCH quicker than stock, but you're un-shielded from the transmission whereas you were in the past. It is much more responsive than stock, but also harder to drive and tolerate in a "daily driver" sort of way.

It's hard to convey how much it actually seems to transform the character of the car. Much less of a Toyota/Lexus driving experience now...much more of a Porsche (or pick your favorite sports car). It's a fundamentally invasive mod though...you'll never forget you just did something serious to your car performance wise.

Steve T.

NickT916 said:
quirky meaning like much faster revs? Because im thinking about getting a lighter flywheel when i do the clutch, but i hear they are known for making noices and idles with vibration or something? Id figure the lighter flywheel would rev up faster and have more topend

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
I'm still using the Exedy c/c and it works well enough, but you do have to listen to the LWFW quite a bit. Driveability remains great for a LWFW equipped Supra as the engagement is very easy. I've never driven it on a drag strip, but you have to slip it all the time just to pull away from a stop (particularly on a hill) and the clutch seems designed well. I would NOT recommend it for a daily driven Supra though!

Steve T.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
I've had mine side by side with brian94ht's car (RPS c/c equipped) and we compared notes on them. The RPS seems like it is a *bit* more well suited to all around daily use.

I should definitely note that a lot of this is owner dependent. What I consider "friendly" may not be what you do, and your own tolerence for non OEM levels of daily driveability might be very different from mine. Seeing how my previous Supra was nearly a race car, I've heavily revised my standards of what I'm willing to tolerate on any supercar, and I now lean much farther towards the conservative than I used to. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.