Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
Racer X,

Keep in mind that the Supra has a dual mass flywheel stock...probably something you're not used to from the DSM world. Big difference if you are referring to cars that don't come with dual mass flywheel designs...which is something that makes the Supra TT very quirky when you remove it.

Steve T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ahhh.... didnt know that was a stock set up, my fault, thats foot in my mouth situation number one... many more to come i am sure

· Registered
903 Posts
I had be4 OS Giken twin plates > i did not like the clutch > it did not hold the power all time it used to what do you call this in english may be we can use the word slep , anyway i did not like most because it WAS REALLY HARD WHEN PRESSING ON THE CLUTCH VERY VERY VERY HARD INDEED > I HATED TO DRIVE THE CAR BECAUSE CLUTCH PADEL WAS VERY HARD ...

Now i have ORC twin plates > this is the CLUTCH > i really love it > very very very very soft i mean the padel is very soft maybe softter then stock > and when i had it installed , after clutch job was finished i pressed on clutch padel i thought it was not installed right , because it was really very soft , then i asked people who already have this clutch they said don't worry the ORC is soft ...

So i love my ORC ...

Regards,

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
There are some additional quirks about the clutch I wouldn't mind discussing with you West...if you don't mind. We can go to PM or e-mail for it if you have the time.

Steve T.

WEST said:
I have the EXEDY Stage 5 Tripple.

My clutch has the same Pros and Cons as what Steve said.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Racer X,

Keep in mind that the Supra has a dual mass flywheel stock...probably something you're not used to from the DSM world. Big difference if you are referring to cars that don't come with dual mass flywheel designs...which is something that makes the Supra TT very quirky when you remove it.

Steve T.
quirky meaning like much faster revs? Because im thinking about getting a lighter flywheel when i do the clutch, but i hear they are known for making noices and idles with vibration or something? Id figure the lighter flywheel would rev up faster and have more topend

· BIK KLR
977 Posts
RPS Chromolly/ C/ C LOVE IT!!!! no other way for me. Very slipp-able, engagment is rough, but once you drive the car a few days it's easy to get used to.
I noticed that the Aluminum carries more noise than the chromolly from the Gearbox rattle.

Kareem

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
Quirky meaning you get a lot of noise and vibration that you never had to deal with before. They rev MUCH quicker than stock, but you're un-shielded from the transmission whereas you were in the past. It is much more responsive than stock, but also harder to drive and tolerate in a "daily driver" sort of way.

It's hard to convey how much it actually seems to transform the character of the car. Much less of a Toyota/Lexus driving experience now...much more of a Porsche (or pick your favorite sports car). It's a fundamentally invasive mod though...you'll never forget you just did something serious to your car performance wise.

Steve T.

NickT916 said:
quirky meaning like much faster revs? Because im thinking about getting a lighter flywheel when i do the clutch, but i hear they are known for making noices and idles with vibration or something? Id figure the lighter flywheel would rev up faster and have more topend

· Registered
1,059 Posts
So in other words its a good thing :) and is definitely worth the money

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
NickT916 said:
a lightened flywheel is just less mass for your engine to put into motion, it wouldnt do anything for your top end, but it can get the power to your wheels a fraction quicker, the real upside to buying a lightened flywheel come with the facr the teeth are replaceable, you dont have to get it machined everytime you change your clutch you just get a new bit....

· Registered
469 Posts
sorry to bring up a fairly old thread but, Steve how do you like your c/c exedy? Reason being is my rps stage 3 just shit the bed and I got a killer deal on my c/c exedy (getting it installed on monday) and was wondering how she is now that you've got some more miles on her.

James

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
I'm still using the Exedy c/c and it works well enough, but you do have to listen to the LWFW quite a bit. Driveability remains great for a LWFW equipped Supra as the engagement is very easy. I've never driven it on a drag strip, but you have to slip it all the time just to pull away from a stop (particularly on a hill) and the clutch seems designed well. I would NOT recommend it for a daily driven Supra though!

Steve T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
hmmm mine is daily driving with a rps carbon carbon from wotm. it seems to be perfectly fine with me. easy to drive, shift, and traffic is no problem for me.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
I've had mine side by side with brian94ht's car (RPS c/c equipped) and we compared notes on them. The RPS seems like it is a *bit* more well suited to all around daily use.

I should definitely note that a lot of this is owner dependent. What I consider "friendly" may not be what you do, and your own tolerence for non OEM levels of daily driveability might be very different from mine. Seeing how my previous Supra was nearly a race car, I've heavily revised my standards of what I'm willing to tolerate on any supercar, and I now lean much farther towards the conservative than I used to. :)

· Registered
512 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Pros:

Car revs faster
Weighs a lot less (27 pounds of rotating weight lost in my case)
Car is more responsive (you feel more connected to it)
Tolerates a lot of slippage
Rebuildable

Cons:

Harder to launch the car
Harder to drive slowly (traffic)
Must shift faster in general
Makes a lot of noise (rattles, particularly with A/C on)
Requires heat to hold torque (my carbon disc version anyway)

How is that for starters? :)

Steve T.
I dont have problems with sliping or noise, i love the speed of reving. But i hate the fact that when i go 80-100mph for some time and after that trying to overtake the clutch slips right when the boost comes on. That sucks. But when hot - it holds like rock!

EXEDY Twin Disk Carbon

· man whore
394 Posts
I am going to need a new clutch soon and have been thinking about get a CC but I will be DD my car. I can’t stand how my LWFW with 6 puck is now it’s just a PITA for DD. I was going to get the Exedy c/c but now I am not so sure I have talked with a local machine shop and they said they could add several pounds to the FW if I wanted. Do you think this would help the drivability in a significant way?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.