Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, I noticed that a lot of aftermarket single turbo's perform better than twin's. So, would it be possible to run two Single Turbo's?

Example:

Two Greddy T88 Single's .70A/R

~OR~

Two HKS T51R's .96 A/R? (I know the TO4R is .96 A/R but i'm not sure on the T51)

If these are a BAD idea on a Supra, what's the type of turbo needed for a 1000HP car (I don't care if it's street legal or not)
I was just wondering....

BTW, Search didn't yield too many results on this... maybe it was incorrect wording on my part :confused:

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
yeah, I think Keith has the biggest twins out there...followed by Saad...as for twin T88's...dear lord man....they'd work if you could spin your engine to say...15,000rpm to spool them! Plus, they wouldn't fit under the hood.

Seriously, if you want 1000hp - do a big 'ol single (T88, T100..etc..) - be prepared to spray it to get them going...

Jay

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly do you mean by "Spray it to get it going" ????

And, why are TO4R's more expensive than the T51R???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Philly means that you'll need a healthy dose of nitrous to spool the turbos. I think that the T04R's are more expensive than the T51's is because the T04R's are more in demand.

-Amir

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOOOOOOOO!!! THE EVIL SUBSTANCE!!

So it's a must that I run **GASP** Nitrous to use a single turbo?

How much? I have always disliked Nitrous because it causes premature wear and tear.

Plus, N02 is a dry gas, so wouldn't it ruin the bearings in the turbo?

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Zylo said:
NOOOOOOOO!!! THE EVIL SUBSTANCE!!

So it's a must that I run **GASP** Nitrous to use a single turbo?

How much? I have always disliked Nitrous because it causes premature wear and tear.

Plus, N02 is a dry gas, so wouldn't it ruin the bearings in the turbo?
No you don't need nitrous to use most single turbo setups. Just if you use a really large single, or two medium/large turbos then you would need to generate a very large exaust pressure, inorder to get the turbo(s) up to speed where they can sustain the pressure, without the nitrous.

How would the N2O (not NO2) even get into the turbo, to cause this damage you are talking about? You would inject the N2O into the intake manifold, which is after the turbo.

B

·
0 Posts
Since when does a child actress know so much about hot cars?! J/K... ;)

B96v6

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would 2-stepping the turbo cause them to spool up? I was under the assumption that N20 can only be used at WOT :confused:

Ok, maybe these turbos are a bad idea.... What I'm looking here is a QUICK car, not a fast car, cuz speed does kill you know ;)

So top speed is of little importance. Just 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

While im on the subject, a wheel standing Supra would be SWEEET!

C

·
0 Posts
Couldnt you just maybe get someway to get one turbo to spool then get the other to spool? Maybe block off the second turbo and as the first starts spooling unblock the second wouldnt it have the momentum? i know t51's take alot to spool alone. has anyone tryed like a t51 with a maybe t66?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you want a "quick" and "responsive accelerating" car you are definately looking in the wrong direction, Twin T88s is insane, the Jun Supra which ran the 249mph at Bonneville speed trials had TWIN T78s... that car makes something like 1200rwhp... and a T88 flows something like 20% more than a T78 so that would be just rediculous and would spool sometime next week... It would be cool to see though :D

And yes, you dont need nitrous for all singles to get them going... If you go REALLY huge its helpful though... If you want a quick, responsive, fast spooling turbo get something smaller... what kind of times do you want to run anyway, and do you have a 6speed or an auto?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If you truly have a quick car then you'll be going fast in no time which can kill you so don't sweat that. You're no safer in the quick car.

Don't be so afraid of N20, it can be your friend.

There are a few nice large single turbos that'll give you good power (900whp) with bearable spool time.

Get an AEM EMS to give you the good spool time AND a 2 step that lets you have full boost off of the line.

If you want a quick car then find something with more displacement and less weight. Couple that with an automatic and you'll get the quickness and wheelies you want.

Zylo said:
Would 2-stepping the turbo cause them to spool up? I was under the assumption that N20 can only be used at WOT :confused:

Ok, maybe these turbos are a bad idea.... What I'm looking here is a QUICK car, not a fast car, cuz speed does kill you know ;)

So top speed is of little importance. Just 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

While im on the subject, a wheel standing Supra would be SWEEET!

·
776 Posts
Zylo said:
What exactly do you mean by "Spray it to get it going" ????

And, why are TO4R's more expensive than the T51R???
Any turbo that can flow more than 1000hp is going to have a big turbine that is dependant on exhaust gas to spin it. Now add in nitrous to get more cylinder pressure and an increase in exhaust gas. This will of course allow the turbine to spool earlier.

·
776 Posts
In any straight line contest you will want a big turbo. Lag is not an issue when you are only seeing high revs. Now any races that involves turning you will not want a laggy turbo since you will rely on more of the entire powerband. You don't want a big laggy turbo after braking too late into a corner and trying to exit out.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
haha yea... I wouldnt turn the Olsen Twins down... as bad as that probably sounds... well assuming they are as old as I THINK they are anyway... :D

But then again... I dont even look like im 21... I could pass as a high school student still, sad.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoa... talk about bringin' up the dead... I can't believe I was so STUPID back then... ah well... Wheelies in a supra... pfffttt! I annoy myself... geez. lol

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now no one else post... let this sink to the bottom ;) lol

this thread is soooo embarassing :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts