Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The hp wars are so intense, that to keep up and meet ever more rigid drivability and emissions expectations and standards, boosting is inevitable (or more cylinders than normal for class/smaller pistons & stroke/very high revs/NA BUT a costly option).

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
That is interesting since BMW has been so against FI in their gasoline cars. I guess all those high power Benzes have finally gotten to them.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
The new powerplant takes a leaf out of BMW’s latest diesel engine development by employing two turbochargers – one operating at lower engine speeds to boost low-end torque with the other called upon to extend power at the top end.
hmm... sounds oddly familiar :dunno:

‘It’s going to take turbocharging to a whole new level,’ said a supplier privy to the new engine’s performance claims.
a whole new 1993 Toyota level? :stickpoke

Nothing’s official, but a 0-60mph time of around 6.0sec appears to be on the cards with top speed limited to 155mph.
Oh wait... they couldn't even reach 1993 Toyota level :sadwavey:

·
That bearded guy
549 Posts
Looks like the new IS350 will have some serious competition. If only Toyota put the 2JZ-GTE in the new Lexus IS but nooo they had to put a gay V6 in it. Oh well the new 3.5 liter V6 is said to be over 300hp we'll just have to wait and see. Hmm a turbocharged IS from factory sure would be nice. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,664 Posts
GPTourer said:
That is interesting since BMW has been so against FI in their gasoline cars. I guess all those high power Benzes have finally gotten to them.
This is true since Mercedes' stated goal is to have the most powerful cars in any class it competes. BMW can't stay all NA for too much longer, not with the AMG cars and Lexus doing its hybrid thing (it has already trademarked the name LS 600). Plus, one of my magazines, I forget which, says the IS 350 will have 320 hp, aspirated.

Ken.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
People seem to forget, BMW has played this game once before to beat Mercedes. When the E's looked as if they could rule Europe BMW dropped the 2002 Turbo on them. Forgot that car on a Spo Com inspired site so soon? BMW has traditionally been against FI except in the case of their diesel engines and the 3 series. Not until the early 80's when the awe inspiring E30 M# come out did BMW stop FI. The company decided their new small high level car was now on par with the 190 EVO program and hence every M3/5 we have ever gotten was NA. If BMW lost to Mercedes in these years it would paint a much different picture.

As for their "new level"? BMW turbo diesels are among the best in the world. When did Toyota do that with their cars? A whole NEW level? 1993? lol Porsche wrote the book decades earlier.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
As for their "new level"? BMW turbo diesels are among the best in the world. When did Toyota do that with their cars? A whole NEW level? 1993? lol Porsche wrote the book decades earlier.
I'm sure they were referring to the sequential turbocharger system - as was I.

·
Registered
22 Posts
electrikoptik said:
Looks like the new IS350 will have some serious competition. If only Toyota put the 2JZ-GTE in the new Lexus IS but nooo they had to put a gay V6 in it. Oh well the new 3.5 liter V6 is said to be over 300hp we'll just have to wait and see. Hmm a turbocharged IS from factory sure would be nice. :)

Toyota did the right thing with the V6. It's lighter, smaller, better packaged for AWD, better fuel economy, has dual VVt-i AND direct injection. The 2jz is great for big power and is pretty smooth but the new GR motors are going to be some of Toyota's most advanced engines. Plus, they can do hybrid performance mixed with ultra-high compression ratio direct injection and not have to worry about blowing up the engine (think M3's high compression high rev problems).

This gay V6 is gonna beat out the VQ35, new Vtec 3L, Audi's 3.1L DI V6, and Benz's 3.5L V6.

James

·
Registered
830 Posts
OUT FOX EM said:
"Nothing’s official, but a 0-60mph time of around 6.0sec appears to be on the cards with top speed limited to 155mph."

Slow.
I'm sure that's underestimated. My 330i w/performance package was clocked at 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and tops of 155 mph. I'm gussing that 155 is speed limited in this 335.

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tatanko said:
Hmm...0-60 in 6.0? That's pathetic...a TT 3.0 and that's the best they can do...
Well, that was just quessing and considering that the e90 330i with 255hp does 0-60 in 6.1 the 335i with 330hp will be closer to 5.0 than 6.0.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Excellent, I want the automotive world (including Toyota) to be comfortable with the idea of I-6 turbos again. :bigthumb:

4.0L I-6 T MKV Supra anyone? (it's a fantasy, but let me dream). 500 BHP would be cake.......... :sadwavey:

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Hmmmm 330hp, I-6, 3.0L, twin sequential turbos.....I hope BMW is secretly buying 2JZ-GTE's from Toyota, cause a twin sequential system operated by German electronics sounds scary hehe

Hopefully the I-Drive porkpie can be used to up the boost :lol:

On a serious note, that car sounds very cool and I hope it comes out just as described in that write up!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts