Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are many different views on single or twin turbo motor. i would like some opinions on this. i've thought about a garret gt4088 or to go with a twin turbo manifold and get two of them. which would be a better choice in the long run?

·
Registered
184 Posts
there are many different views on single or twin turbo motor. i would like some opinions on this. i've thought about a garret gt4088 or to go with a twin turbo manifold and get two of them. which would be a better choice in the long run?

depends on what your goals/uses for the car are going to be

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the first goal would probably be a 12.9 on the quarter. alot of things around here run 14s and 13s. if i can hit twelves i wont really have alot to worry about. what are the pros and cons of single and twin?

·
Registered
184 Posts
the only real advantage i know of with a twin is it spools faster due to having a smaller and larger turbo....but if your planning on running 2 of the same turbos...i dont really see any advantage to it at all...if your goal is high 12's a single modified ct26 or t3/t4 would do the job no problem.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
twin turbo setups have equal sized turbos

the MKIV's system diverts all the exhaust energy into ONE turbo to make it spool nearly instantly, then opens up and spools up the second turbo for top end flow and power...

·
Registered
125 Posts
2jz's are sequential, 1jz is an equal twin. If you have the time, money and fab skills, twins could be cool for the uniqueness (especially based on your goals).

Having never driven a twin/ single set-up at the same hp level on the same motor, I cannot say which would be 'better'. If you want to do twins, do it and be different.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
the only real advantage i know of with a twin is it spools faster due to having a smaller and larger turbo....but if your planning on running 2 of the same turbos...i dont really see any advantage to it at all...if your goal is high 12's a single modified ct26 or t3/t4 would do the job no problem.
It's pretty rare for a twin turbo setup to have 2 differently sized turbos.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i kept the twin turbos on my rx7 and i know that the primary turbo was a slight smaller then the secondary. it alowed for a quicker spool in lower rpms then at about 5,000rmp you could feel the secondary turbo kick in and that gave you a hell of alot more power for high rpms and top end. thats the only reason im asking about them and yes i think it would be nice to be different lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
let me know how it goes, i wanted to do twin ct-26. one upgraded and one stock.
(i have 3 turbos to spare so let me know if you need one)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
twin CT's would be EXTREMELY laggy...

the stock twins on the 1J and 2J are both smaller than the CT, you want 2 smaller turbos so they spool...

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
Twin turbo's means twice the cost and twice the potential for trouble, did I read your first post right. You wanted twin gt4088's?? You wouldn't even make boost before you hit readline with 2 of them on your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was actually thinking about using the gt4088 as the secondary for top end and high rpms and just a smaller turbo for the primary, so it would spool quick to get off the line. these are all ideas just asking opinions on them. what about two ct26s.... on stock and one upgraded. i havent even drove the supra yet i stripped it when i got it so i dont know when the boost kicks in or anything. twins would be alot different though i havent seen any around here with them. in fact there are very very few supras around here even mk3s

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
you can't use two different sized turbos

get running in BPU form before you decide on what you're gonna do, and please read up on why you have to have the same size turbos...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright well ive read some things and looked around and i think im just going to stick to a single turbo setup. twins would look cool but ill keep it simple. thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts