Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
i road in a single turbo'd car (76gts) and after that I wouldnt keep the stock twins. i know a lot of people including the guy that I road with start out as BPU then eventually upgrade to new turbo(s). All depends on your budget and how much power you want.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Depends. You can find a small single (61, 63 or maybe 66) that can give you the power and response that you want.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Maybe you're already beyond this, but without a doubt in my mind I recommend very strongly that if you haven't already tracked your car at the BPU level, do that for at least one full season or a bunch of track days, probably more would be better unless you are already an excellent experienced road course driver.

I track mine too, for almost 6 years now, still at basic BPU level, and it seems to work so good and run so well that I have been very much hesitating to "fix what ain't broke". In spite of that, the Supra mentality has taken its toll on what's left of my brain so I ordered a single kit which I should be seeing within days. I'll see how this goes later this season at Pocono and Watkins Glen.

I'm an advocate of smallish turbos on the Supra for road racing but if you only track it on long wide open high speed tracks, there is room for larger turbos. Otherwise, they suck on the tighter courses. Look in the roadrace section here for threads about that question and lots of good opinions.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
I agree with Nick, adding that if you sequential system is working well, then go BPU for a season.
My twins were OK but the sequential system just would not work so I was tracking in TTC. Thus, I finally decided to go small single 5 months ago. I have BL 57 kit.
Anyway, the driver needs a lot more work than the car and your other systems need upgrading/maintenance before you worry about power. Usually a good driver can take a slow car around the track faster than a more novice driver can get around in a "faster" car. Trust me, it's true.
You need better cooling, maybe better brakes (mine are still stock), a couple more gauges, and some other stuff before you worry about power.
That said, a relatively small single is better for road racing because you don't want the lag and you don't really need the extra power of a big turbo.
Track what you have for a while - it's still fun and very informative.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Pretty much agree with everyone else...go with a 61-61mm for smaller tracks but maybe a bigger track go with a 67mm really no need for nething bigger...a 67mm can flow around 30psi and 700hp with appropriate supporting mods.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
VickSupra said:
I agree with Nick, adding that if you sequential system is working well, then go BPU for a season.
My twins were OK but the sequential system just would not work so I was tracking in TTC. Thus, I finally decided to go small single 5 months ago. I have BL 57 kit.
Anyway, the driver needs a lot more work than the car and your other systems need upgrading/maintenance before you worry about power. Usually a good driver can take a slow car around the track faster than a more novice driver can get around in a "faster" car. Trust me, it's true.
You need better cooling, maybe better brakes (mine are still stock), a couple more gauges, and some other stuff before you worry about power.
That said, a relatively small single is better for road racing because you don't want the lag and you don't really need the extra power of a big turbo.
Track what you have for a while - it's still fun and very informative.
are u running an upgraded stall?

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
brian_k03 said:
are u running an upgraded stall?
nope. For now, it's all stock drivetrain, etc.
Of course, when the tranny goes, it will be time for an upgrade :naughty:

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
I much prefer my SP63 to the stock twins. The stock twins work fine, but I feel much better about reliability with the single.

I always worried about the stock twins breaking at 16psi in the roadcourse. I worried about running 93 octane on the track knowing the stock twins were really heating the intake air.

With the single I have run 16-17 psi on pump gas with no problems with about 2,000 roadcourse miles and almost 70,000 street miles.

Of course the single is faster. :)

Later, Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts