Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have been a supra addict since I was 15 and got my first supra, the lack of patience, time, money and well the way life works in general I ended up buying and selling four Supras between age 15 and 20. Fast forward to today age 22, I am now living in Northern California with my wife and son and happened to trade my 2000 Lexus RX300 with 131k miles which I purchased for $2800 2.5 years ago, for two 1987 Turbo Supras, one of which is a white manual, Targa Top 179k miles and the other a red turbo auto hardtop 159k miles.
The white supra has a rod knock, the red has been sitting so long it will not start, ( I have only cranked on it for about 30 seconds or so). Both cars appear to be in very good shape, hardly any rust on either, and the interior on both is actually very clean, not many rips or tears. It also came with a plethora of parts, tires rims, interior trim, 6 seats in nice condition, basically a whole interior for a car.

I realize this will be a long process, given my history of giving up on the four past supras, and always regretting it I plan to try and stick these two out, my goal currently is to get the red one running, and potentially jz swap the white one, for just in the little of amount of time (2 years) I have been out of the supra game, I have been astonished at the increase in prices for these cars.
0129201215b.jpg
0129201215a_HDR.jpg
0129201215a.jpg
0129201215_HDR.jpg
0129201215.jpg
0129201050.jpg
0129201214b.jpg
0129201050b_HDR.jpg
0129201052_HDR.jpg
0129201051.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't get the "inherited" part? Inherited means you give nothing to receive something. You traded a running car for two that don't.

Good luck with them.

Al
I changed the title.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update here: One thing i forgot to mention is the car came with a TON of extra parts, such as all manuals i need, struts with TEMS, Front and rear seats in nice blue cloth 9/10 condition, Side panels for the doors, brake calipers, whole A arms, a rear diff, a rack and pinion, two heater cores, a whole gauge clutser and more.... Check it out.

2nd overall parts.jpg supra parts garage.jpg supra josh sitting on tank.jpg supra manuals.jpg overall parts.jpg

gauge cluster maroon.jpg
gauge cluster maroon.jpg supra parts garage.jpg supra josh sitting on tank.jpg
. overall parts.jpg 2nd overall parts.jpg supra manuals.jpg

Progress on these, have attempted to get the maroon supra to start with no avail.. yet... It cranks great but my guess it's been sitting almost 15 years, the registration on the plates it has on expired in 2004. Ran a compression test on cyl 1 with over 130psi, going to check the other 5 cylinders tomorrow. Engine light comes on when key is turned on which is good, spark on cyl 1. The gas is bad, so I pulled the fuel tank and am going to swap over the fuel tank from the white one as it sits since I know that car runs. I took off the air filter housing to find a K&N air filter caked with dirt! Cleaned it out. Going to put brand new plugs and wires (brand new ngk wires came in the car) on and see what happens. Broke a lot of hoses, they are all very rotted. Definitely needs alot of TLC.
supra pulling fuel tank out.jpg valve cover shot maroon supra.jpg broken hose 7m.jpg
broken hose 7m.jpg valve cover shot maroon supra.jpg supra pulling fuel tank out.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed the plugs/wires and swapped fuel tanks/fuel pumps today from the white donor. Got the red one running today! Felt great. Gonna change fluids soon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The red one compression above 130 on all cylinders besides cyl #4 which is about 100. I drained the oil and out came a milk shake...... Clumpy creamy caramel looking milkshake.. So I am assuming BHG. The car runs fine, and doesn't seem to overheat in about the 10 minutes I ran it, and actually runs surprisingly well.

So at this point, I have 2 complete 7mgte motors, 1 which has a rod knock and 1 that has a BHG I assume.

I plan on putting a 2jz in the white Supra.
I also had the thought of attempting to rebuild a 7mgte, i've never rebuilt a motor before so I feel like It would be a good oppurtunity to learn, only thing is cost, is it really worth it? If i did I would want to keep the HP numbers right around stock. Could I get away with just rings, bearings, seals, gaskets and some machine work? How much would that look like in $$$?

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
791 Posts
well to be honest, if you have never rebuilt a motor before you have a lot to learn. you will be outside your skillset so it will take a lot of time to learn / gain confidence and do it right. this will be hard with a young family (finding the time...).

why not start with the head gasket on the red car ? its possible the bottom end is fine, will be ok for a while yet. its still a very involved mechanical operation....but the procedure is well documented. yes milk shake oil can very will trash the lower end, but not always.

one thing to keep in mind is "if it aint broken don't fix it" at the beginning of a project. you can be assured that once the car runs it will need a whole bunch of stuff (tires, suspension, brakes, anything rubber: belts hoses, tune up parts etc). no point in rebuilding the motor yet only to find out the car needs 2k of other parts to be road worthy. plus you can always rebuild a spare motor (white car motor, or 7mge you find locally for a few hundred) out of the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well to be honest, if you have never rebuilt a motor before you have a lot to learn. you will be outside your skillset so it will take a lot of time to learn / gain confidence and do it right. this will be hard with a young family (finding the time...).

why not start with the head gasket on the red car ? its possible the bottom end is fine, will be ok for a while yet. its still a very involved mechanical operation....but the procedure is well documented. yes milk shake oil can very will trash the lower end, but not always.

one thing to keep in mind is "if it aint broken don't fix it" at the beginning of a project. you can be assured that once the car runs it will need a whole bunch of stuff (tires, suspension, brakes, anything rubber: belts hoses, tune up parts etc). no point in rebuilding the motor yet only to find out the car needs 2k of other parts to be road worthy. plus you can always rebuild a spare motor (white car motor, or 7mge you find locally for a few hundred) out of the car.
I like this reply, I'm gonna do minimal to the red one and probably shift gears to 2jz swapping the white.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

The burgundy supra runs great, no overheating, changed maf, and took it for a nice cruise today, Ran amazing. Timing is a little off but not bad.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update - Changed the oil today in the burgundy and no milkshake! Looked really clean, i'm guessing who knows what happened in the 15 years or so it sat? Condensation build up inside the engine? Also maybe that's why the compression was down to 100psi on cyl 4? Gas varnished, creating gunk/ ring was not sealed due to no oil being in the cyl? (atleast that's what I hope for.) Will do a compression check soon. It does run well. Drive well? Not really. Just pulled it into my garage and got it on jack stands, changed the oil, now will put nicer tires on, change shocks (I have all 4 that came with the cars spare that look in good condition) I busted my fan blade because the shroud was broken.. Going to steal alot of parts off the white 7m since that's getting a jz motor one day. Will do more diagnosing and keep you updated.

Here is how the cars look now, I just moved into a new place last week. -
supra in garage.jpg
supra in garage with white behind.jpg
supra in garage with white behind2.jpg

·
Registered
791 Posts
feb28 and you have sun and green grass. that garage view is killing me....

here is the view from lower canada (Wi) this am ~ 15 degrees F.... but no wind so us natives think its a warm sunny morning

an no, I am not an eskimo.... there is heat in here when the door is shut !!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Greetings, I would build the white car, because it's a manual trans, nobody wants a Supra Turbo auto, but the choice is yours.
feb28 and you have sun and green grass. that garage view is killing me....

here is the view from lower canada (Wi) this am ~ 15 degrees F.... but no wind so us natives think its a warm sunny morning

an no, I am not an eskimo.... there is heat in here when the door is shut !!

View attachment 248551

I have been a supra addict since I was 15 and got my first supra, the lack of patience, time, money and well the way life works in general I ended up buying and selling four Supras between age 15 and 20. Fast forward to today age 22, I am now living in Northern California with my wife and son and happened to trade my 2000 Lexus RX300 with 131k miles which I purchased for $2800 2.5 years ago, for two 1987 Turbo Supras, one of which is a white manual, Targa Top 179k miles and the other a red turbo auto hardtop 159k miles.
The white supra has a rod knock, the red has been sitting so long it will not start, ( I have only cranked on it for about 30 seconds or so). Both cars appear to be in very good shape, hardly any rust on either, and the interior on both is actually very clean, not many rips or tears. It also came with a plethora of parts, tires rims, interior trim, 6 seats in nice condition, basically a whole interior for a car.

I realize this will be a long process, given my history of giving up on the four past supras, and always regretting it I plan to try and stick these two out, my goal currently is to get the red one running, and potentially jz swap the white one, for just in the little of amount of time (2 years) I have been out of the supra game, I have been astonished at the increase in prices for these cars. View attachment 247804 View attachment 247805 View attachment 247806 View attachment 247807 View attachment 247808 View attachment 247810 View attachment 247809 View attachment 247812 View attachment 247813 View attachment 247814

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah that's the plan, but it's gonna be awhile because of funds. The plan right now is 2jz swap the white one. That could be a year out from now, acquiring parts for cheap, saving for the actual engine, pulling the curent engine, ect ect.

But the burgundy runs well and actually has alot going for it currently, so I'm gonna do a nice tuneup - timing belt, waterpump, belts, tensioners, hoses, basically fix the minimal things that are within my scope of knowledge and attempt to daily drive it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update -

So over the last week I have been doing some maintenance, I changed the timing belt, waterpump, cam seals, most all radiator hoses and alot of vacuum/intake hoses, thermostat and painted and fixed some odds and ends. Also picked some rims and tires up for 100$, decent deal. Got everything together and it runs great, am getting a little overheat but I'm guessing I didn't burp the system well enough or maybe the new thermostat is busted. (no heat) Will look into it soon. Anyway here is some pics - Still have yet to wash it lol.
supra red engine torn apart.jpg
supra red engine bay timing belt.jpg
supra red engine bay nice.jpg
supra red wheels on.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the ol BHG hit me today on the maroon one.. Which i had tall tell signs of from the beginning so not very surprised..

What to do? Headgasket job as cheap as possible?

(Budget is nill due to family and in California lol)

Or...??

1 - 20 of 62 Posts