Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You can’t just do the head gasket with doing rod bearings and turning the crank. There is a thread about rod knock shortly after fixing a head gasket that had coolant in the oil.
https://dannysengineportal.com/fuel-wash-how-to-eliminate-this-potentially-serious-problem/engine-bearing-damage-from-lack-of-lubrication/

Your car will soon have a rod knock, and you will need to pull the engine and redo the head gasket again, because the cylinder heads only come out from the top.

Knock knock knock knock knock knock knock knock knock knock

I hope you're wrong.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Okay been awhile since I've updated, Got the maroon supra all buttoned up and running fantastic, so far I have 50 miles of easy driving on it and it's doing fantastic. Finally was able to wash it. Also attempted a spray paint on the driver side fender. Pretty cool before and after pictures of this cars engine bay and exterior from my first post to now. Here's some pictures -

Also, with the white targa having a spun rod bearing and all.. I picked up a 2jzge today for 443$. Came with everything besides a throttle body, and only 1 connector was cut. Supposedly only 60k miles... Anyway pretty excited to see what happens.
2jzge.jpg
engine bay completed bhg.jpg supra driver fender painted.jpg supra post wash1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Over 500 miles on the car so far, am.planning on doing some suspension work soon, been fixing odds and ends, i flushed my transmission fluid not too long ago due to it starting to hold the gears longer and it felt like it was slipping.. It starts to slip and actually won't go into overdrive sometimes, conditions worsen when I get on the gas a little hard.. So am keeping my eye out for an a340e..

·
Registered
785 Posts
have you pulled the pan to look at the filter (as part of that flush) ? there are some tricks to get more line pressure / better shifts :

·
Registered
65 Posts
great thread! love seeing somebody resurrect 2 neglected mk3s :) Looks like you have the chops to rebuild a bottom end of the white car. It's honestly not that hard - just follow the TSRM.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
great thread! love seeing somebody resurrect 2 neglected mk3s :) Looks like you have the chops to rebuild a bottom end of the white car. It's honestly not that hard - just follow the TSRM.
Funny you say this Toby, I had the thought enter my mind today of doing that. Am going to make a price list to compare getting my 2jz into the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
On a side note reguarding the maroon auto, i get a very deep howl, and intense vibrating at about 60mph any ideas what it could be? Newer tires mounted and balanced. I know my shocks are bad but this seems like something different. Driveshaft? I checked it and it definitely has some play in the center bearing. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
218 Posts
Yeah I have the vibration that starts around 55. I've been limited to driving it on side streets since I started refurbishing everything in October.

I had the U Joints replaced back in 2008 and the tech had issues with replacing them. I think my shaft may be unbalanced, but I'm going to look at my center bearing again. It was replaced in 08 as well, but I honestly don't know what they put in it.

The original mechanic has since passed in 2009 (brain tumor, sad) but his business partner is still my indie mechanic and is very good all around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update here: One thing i forgot to mention is the car came with a TON of extra parts, such as all manuals i need, struts with TEMS, Front and rear seats in nice blue cloth 9/10 condition, Side panels for the doors, brake calipers, whole A arms, a rear diff, a rack and pinion, two heater cores, a whole gauge clutser and more.... Check it out.

View attachment 248213 View attachment 248214 View attachment 248215 View attachment 248216 View attachment 248212

View attachment 248220
gauge cluster maroon.jpg supra parts garage.jpg supra josh sitting on tank.jpg
. overall parts.jpg 2nd overall parts.jpg supra manuals.jpg

Progress on these, have attempted to get the maroon supra to start with no avail.. yet... It cranks great but my guess it's been sitting almost 15 years, the registration on the plates it has on expired in 2004. Ran a compression test on cyl 1 with over 130psi, going to check the other 5 cylinders tomorrow. Engine light comes on when key is turned on which is good, spark on cyl 1. The gas is bad, so I pulled the fuel tank and am going to swap over the fuel tank from the white one as it sits since I know that car runs. I took off the air filter housing to find a K&N air filter caked with dirt! Cleaned it out. Going to put brand new plugs and wires (brand new ngk wires came in the car) on and see what happens. Broke a lot of hoses, they are all very rotted. Definitely needs alot of TLC.
View attachment 248217 View attachment 248218 View attachment 248219
broken hose 7m.jpg valve cover shot maroon supra.jpg supra pulling fuel tank out.jpg
Update -

So over the last week I have been doing some maintenance, I changed the timing belt, waterpump, cam seals, most all radiator hoses and alot of vacuum/intake hoses, thermostat and painted and fixed some odds and ends. Also picked some rims and tires up for 100$, decent deal. Got everything together and it runs great, am getting a little overheat but I'm guessing I didn't burp the system well enough or maybe the new thermostat is busted. (no heat) Will look into it soon. Anyway here is some pics - Still have yet to wash it lol.
View attachment 248766 View attachment 248767 View attachment 248768 View attachment 248769
The car won’t start is caused by a bad igniter. When you open the hood it is up front on the driver side fender. The bad news is there are no new ones. Call every junkyard you can find and see if they have one. I have an 84 and I drove it and turned off the engine. When I went to restart it, it cranked, had fuel and compression but wouldn’t start. Took it to my Toyota dealer and the mechanic that has worked on it since new diagnosed it. Found one at a junkyard for $130. In Virginia and as soon as we hooked it up the car started. But because there were no parts in the US the dealer was able to call the manufacturer of the igniter in Japan who said they no longer made them, so the junkyard is your only option. No other way around it. Terry Hronek 3309874760. Good luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The car won’t start is caused by a bad igniter. When you open the hood it is up front on the driver side fender. The bad news is there are no new ones. Call every junkyard you can find and see if they have one. I have an 84 and I drove it and turned off the engine. When I went to restart it, it cranked, had fuel and compression but wouldn’t start. Took it to my Toyota dealer and the mechanic that has worked on it since new diagnosed it. Found one at a junkyard for $130. In Virginia and as soon as we hooked it up the car started. But because there were no parts in the US the dealer was able to call the manufacturer of the igniter in Japan who said they no longer made them, so the junkyard is your only option. No other way around it. Terry Hronek 3309874760. Good luck
Car starts fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Can we talk about how much of a piece of shit I am for putting these dents into the driverside front panel?

·
Registered
218 Posts
My guess is trying to move the car with the door open.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So... The driverside panel was bent to where I could not open my door, so in a hurry because I was going to drive the car to work that day, (I hate hurry) i took the panel off and attempted to hammer out the main dent to be able to operate my door.. Well my hammering resulted in those dents... Everytime i look at it i say " that's what happens when you're in a hurry"

Are those dents fixable or would you recommend to do anything to make it look better? Bondo?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Panel = fender?

Uhm. First problem is to fix whatever is causing the door to bind. It's either the way its sitting on the hinges, or the fender its misaligned, or both.

You can hammer out the fender damage but it won't be straight again unless you bondo, which will require paint. At that point it might just be easier to get a whole new fender if you can find one.

Next time, use the passenger door and crawl over. :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I got the door to function properly..

Trust me i am pretty upset with my decision.. Everyday i have to look at it.. :(

41 - 60 of 61 Posts