Supra Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
537 Posts
I have a vibration in mine from somewhere roughly 60-65. It varies a bit. I didn't have a vibration at all until i had the u-joints and center bearing changed back in 2008. (I parked it from 2009-2019). I feel like since I got the vibration after that work that it must be the issue. However, I wonder if it might be a rear bearing or something in my R154.

I still need to take my shaft off and have it inspected. For now I've only been driving it on side streets and keep it below the vibration speed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
So in my attempt to track down the vibration in the car I got under it and noticed one of the bolts that holds the rear diff to the sub-frame was missing! So I put that back, and then I began to tear apart the brakes and hub ect, I found the drum brakes in the rear were seized binding up the rotor, also one of my brake calipers was seized, so i'm sure that was contributing.. Once I tore everything apart I decided to replace everything while I had it apart which consists of all new poly bushings, new shocks, new wheel bearings/wheel seals, brakes, rotors, rebuilding the brake calipers, new sway bar links, driveshaft center support bearing, bought 20 ton press for 40$.. (should I replace the u joints? Or only if i see play?). It's been a lot of work and I am still working on the rear, but it's been a very good learning expirence.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
replace the ujoints if they feel tight. that happens before they blow apart and get play

A tight u joint can cause vibration for just a few min before it works loose. then it will eventually just stay tight and vibrate like crazy. if the driveshaft is cold, and they feel smooth and not tight / no play I would run them

Im jealous of the upgrades (and the press haha). need to do mine so bad. did you do the sub frame to body bushings ? those are known to get soft and then cause the sub frame to crack.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Advice please!

Have been attempting to diagnose a bad vibration at 60-65mph that carries through the cabin and under my seat. I've replaced all u joints in the driveshaft, the differential, and much more... But it happens with the car jacked up and my cv shafts disconnected. My automatic transmission does slip a little, I'm starting to think it's a torque converter or transmission related, I have an extra tranny and torque converter, I just want to get your guys opinions on this before i dive in.

·
Registered
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
537 Posts
When you replaced the U joints, did you have the shaft balance checked? I ask because back in 2008 I had my U Joints changed and center bearing replaced and THEN got the vibration at the same speed as you.

I parked it in 09 and just brought it back in 19, but I still haven't had the shaft balance checked. I'm not driving mine currently but I'd check that first.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I believe it is my driveshaft, currently waiting to hear back from the driveline place.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Update here -

The vibration was an unbalanced driveshaft.

So in JAN 21 I got out of the Coast Guard and moved to NC, the maroon supra made the journey from Humboldt County Northern California to Peoria IL (my hometown) being driven by my father, following me in my 1994 f250 turbo diesel idi that I bought in DEC 2020, (interesting story with that purchase) towing 13,000lbs. I ended up selling the maroon supra because I need money, I sold it for 6k! Not bad considering my initial investment (first post). The white car is currently sitting at my friends in KY waiting for me to pick it up, pretty excited to get it and restore it. I'll post some pics of the journey.
1217201537b.jpg 1221201214.jpg 1221201240_HDR.jpg 1224200744a.jpg 1224201334.jpg DSCN5684.JPG DSCN5688 (2).JPG DSCN5697.JPG FB_IMG_1609214872217.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
I dont know if you found your vibration. We had one above 60 mph when we converted from aoto to manual it stopped. We had otiginnally had to put the drive shaft on the car when we got it as it had been dismantled.in any case we have vibration after switching to a manual.
Make sure the 2 halves are put together in the same order. I suspect we did not not knowing how they were and that what caused it.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts