Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 MKIII - 7M-GE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - been a while (work's kept me busy)

Been prepping to start a 1jz swap in kids car. (thanks inflation btw for driving the price on the engine up a grand in the last 6 months)

Anyway, was hoping to get started over Xmas, then over the last 2 weeks, car started doing this:

engine noise

Anybody have any ideas? I was thinking lifters, but I'm a novice at this stuff. I'm better inside the car / electric / suspension. Engines aren't really my thing. (yeah, yeah - good luck with the swap, I get it..)

I need like 3 more weeks out of the 7M...

·
Registered
446 Posts
This could be the lifters as you mentioned, valves, or rod knock. Either way, you need to open up and check. Check the tightness on lifters and make sure they're to spec. How is compression?

·
Registered
88 MKIII - 7M-GE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in the dallas area. Thinking this is just going to accelerate the 1JZ - doesn't seem to make sense to pour money into the 7m. Its not even turbo.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Agree. But stop driving it as it's going to trash parts. Sounds like it's just getting going now, so perhaps not worn through the expensive bits yet. I asked, as if you were close I'd buy the damaged engine, but I'm in Idaho. Though I do get to Dallas once in a while....heh.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My rod knock didn't sound bad, but I had spun at least two bearings, it was beyond toast. Any of the old timers against sticking a thicker oil in there to get the car through the next few weeks until the swap can commence?

Also, what is the 7m to you? To me, it really meant nothing. Apart from being an unfortunate engine failure, I had no sentimental connection to that engine, and I had no intent to sell it, was basically a boat anchor to me. If you're not needing to sell it for whatever reason, it will survive the few weeks you need out of it, just don't hammer on the thing.

·
Registered
1988 Supra GT Targa 5spd R154 7MGTE built
310 Posts
Also, what is the 7m to you? To me, it really meant nothing. Apart from being an unfortunate engine failure, I had no sentimental connection to that engine, and I had no intent to sell it, was basically a boat anchor to me. If you're not needing to sell it for whatever reason, it will survive the few weeks you need out of it, just don't hammer on the thing.
And we wonder why parts become so inflated and hard to find... Some of us appreciate the 7M and know what it can do when done right. Slap a JZ in it isn't for everyone. This approach is just down right sad... How many cylinder heads, blocks. or cranks are on ebay and the sorts? Answer, hardly any...

·
Registered
278 Posts
And we wonder why parts become so inflated and hard to find... Some of us appreciate the 7M and know what it can do when done right. Slap a JZ in it isn't for everyone. This approach is just down right sad... How many cylinder heads, blocks. or cranks are on ebay and the sorts? Answer, hardly any...
Well said. Some of us curators still appreciate clean MKIIIs in original form and look to keep them that way. Just because everyone is hyping on the JZ motors doesn't mean the 7M is junk. Hardly. I've seen way too many unmolested 7Ms reliably run past 300,000 miles to dismiss them as junk. The 7M is still one of the best engine designs out there. They don't build them like that anymore.
This guy has one that is complete and running. In the right hands, that motor can be rebuilt or serve as a valuable parts donor, but just tossing out a running 7M is simply careless to me.

There was once an engine called the Rolls Royce Merlin V12 that the Army Air Corps had a surplus of after WWII. It was said there were over 100,000 of these motors around in storage after the war ended. After the war production stopped the bean counters were eager to get rid of the surplus. Then along came the sport of hydroplaning needing 1500HP motors to go ridiculously fast on water. Made for great ABC Wide World of Sports episodes, but by the late 1970's most of these great engines left over from the war had suffered a fast and undignified death from drowning. Now the guys trying to restore the Spitfires and P51's have a limited supply of Merlin engines and many of these restoration projects are stalled because an engine can't be found at reasonable cost.

Lets work together to rescue the few 7Ms left so we can all enjoy these cars over the long haul. Think of the poor kid who's face is pressed against the back window of his mom's SUV trying to catch a glimpse of a vintage Supra going by. What? The headlights are concealed and they can actually pop up? I though all vehicles had to be shaped like school buses!
The poor guy has never seen such a sight as a MKIII before and it will haunt his dreams until he gets his license and some money. Let's not turn this kid's dream into a nightmare because the only Supras left are A90s since his forefathers trashed all the 7Ms.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Well said, Bonestock! I've never owned a car that is preferred by tuners, and wannabe's. To see how this plays out in preserving the original heritage of a classic car is heartbreaking to watch. But the mischaracterization of the 7M is the worst. I was once Worldwide Powertrain Planner for the world's largest automaker, and can speak with reasonable authority that its a wonderful engine and a great design.
If you have a 7M with an issue after 30 years, consider repairing it. Parts are cheap, the design is rugged. If you don't want it, please dont scrap it - offer it for sale here. If the OP's engine were within 1000 miles of me, I'd buy it. I found rebuilding my 7M so rewarding, I'd take these orphans, rebuild them, and become a source of well priced fresh 7Ms to keep the MKIII heritage intact. Thanks for listening, brothers and sisters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts