Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says my CEL came on today. Car sounds fine, runs fine, oil is fine, coolant is fine. SO I have been looking at this link http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/engine_codes/obd1_codes.html

I am a little confused on what exactly is is saying, specifically

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE CHECK

1. Turn ignition switch on.
2. Connect terminal between TE1 and E1 of data link connector 1 or 2.
3. Read the diagnostic trouble code from malfunction indicator lamp. HINT: If a diagnostic trouble code is not output, check the TE1 terminal circuit.
4. Check the details of the malfunction using the diagnostic trouble code table (see table below).
5. After completing the check, disconnect terminals TE1 and E1 and turn off the display. HINT: In the event of 2 or more malfunction codes, indication will begin from the smaller numbered code and continue in order to the larger.

How exactly do I do this. I have it scheduled to go into the shop tomorrow if I cannot figure this out but I would love to know if this is a way for me to do it myself without any special tools....any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody has a link or anything for this?? Dang I was hoping to try it tonight myself but I guess I will take it to the shop tomorrow :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok the TE1/E1 is the only part I am a little confused on. They are circuit breakers in the fuse box behind the drivers side kick panel correct? I took it in today anyway but I also ordered a code puller for 40 bucks shipped for the future.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh sorry and no other lights are being thrown just the CEL light came on after the car was parked at the golf course. It was not on when I parked it. I played 9 holes and then it came right on when I started the car back up.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Someone told me to simply remove the negative connector for a minute and attach it back. My light's gone now, but of course, if there is a problem with the engine, I'd have to take it in... I might try MtFujiSupra's trick to see if I can pull a code next time it appears.

·
Very Senior Member
10,066 Posts
Ok the TE1/E1 is the only part I am a little confused on. They are circuit breakers in the fuse box behind the drivers side kick panel correct? I took it in today anyway but I also ordered a code puller for 40 bucks shipped for the future.
The terminals are in the under-hood data link connector. On my '94 it is a small box just under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall.
You basically short between TE1 and E1 with a wire, bent paper clip, etc, and then turn on the ignition. If the MIL does not blink, watch the CEL. It blinks on mine.

·
Very Senior Member
10,066 Posts
Someone told me to simply remove the negative connector for a minute and attach it back. My light's gone now, but of course, if there is a problem with the engine, I'd have to take it in... I might try MtFujiSupra's trick to see if I can pull a code next time it appears.
It is easier and safer to pull the EFI fuses in the under-hood main fuse box.
See http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/ecu_reset/ecu_reset.jpg
I usually pull both EFI fuses.

·
911 Turbo Now
1,391 Posts
I believe the ECU will keep the code untill you pull the EFI1 fuse.

·
Registered
222 Posts
haha, mine just came on too and I hit the light with my finger and it went away. So if the indicator light does nothing when you do the TE1 and E1 paper clip trick, try tappin it with your finger. I have heard this happen to a few other supras too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts