Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was waiting for a buddy to pickup a turbo rad fan from him and noticed a little oil smell...

I get out and the exhaust is white. smells like oil, looks like oil... must be oil! Wo0t.

I checked the oil and it was full... so I added a little anyway.

I then proceeded to go home (buddy never showed up) boosting, and just driving normal... every combo i could think of and i didn't see ANY white smoke at all.

What could cause that?

Its a fresh rebuilt head/block combo (JDM Engine) and the turbo that came with it. the turbo hasn't been touched but the engine has had a COMPLETE rebuid.

·
Banned, jk lol
3,871 Posts
Did you see any leaks on the ground? Did you look at your hoses? Maybe there is a small leak somewhere in the system.

-Matt

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car does not leak a drop of any fluid (i'm proud of that :))

the leak couldn't just be anywhere it was actually coming out the ehxuast

·
SC400 Newb
1,438 Posts
I dunno, but I had a weird thing happen with mine like that. I had just got the car running after it sat forever and it smoked like hell all evening. Well I parked it, depressed, and went to drive it the next day and never had an issue. It just kinda worked itself out.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
rpk2012 said:
I dunno, but I had a weird thing happen with mine like that. I had just got the car running after it sat forever and it smoked like hell all evening. Well I parked it, depressed, and went to drive it the next day and never had an issue. It just kinda worked itself out.
That was most likely condensation in the exhaust.

Justin if you're positive it's not the engine then my guess would be PCV or turbo, I'm assuming since the engine is good and you said it doesn't leak, that all the other gaskets and seals are good as well.

·
2,275 Posts
Maybe your valve seals didn’t seat properly? Also it could be the turbo...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Zerocool084 said:
Maybe your valve seals didn’t seat properly? Also it could be the turbo...

my first thoughts exactly. Do you know if the rebuilt engine was broken in properly (thats assuming you bought it from someone that way unless you rebuilt it yourself of course)?

·
Registered
375 Posts
dont add oil if tis full, one of the worst things you could do. Causes premature seal failure and reduced power :)

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I broke the engine in myself... myself and p5150 on the board built it... i've done it once before and he knows what he's doing (done it many many times) so i'm not concerned

the head was assembled by a local shop so I would hesitate to think that's the problem...

would valves shoot oil like that at idle though?

I am tempted to think its the turbo, cuz it came off a JDM engine that was in terrible shape.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Pull off your IC hoses and see if they're oily inside. Just dawned on me isn't white smoke coolant related and blue-ish smoke oil related? please correct me if i'm wrong...

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you might be right but it was most definatly oil. I got a nice good smell of it.

I'll pull my pipes off again, i just did recently and they were prefectly clean

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I'm thinking turbo seals, but it might be on the exhaust side, so your IC pipes would be clean...

also, 7M's don't have a real issue on high oil levels, actually, you should run a quart over for good measure, and no there isn't any windage as the crank still won't hit the oil at that level...

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
im also thinkin the turbo seals. sounds like oil is getting into the exhaust side and spittin it out the exhaust.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
BHG!!!

Just kidding. justin you should drive it around for awhile and see if your oil consumption goes up. My vote is for the turbo. Sounds to me like a good excuse to buy a ct upgrade......

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
p5150 said:
BHG!!!

Just kidding. justin you should drive it around for awhile and see if your oil consumption goes up. My vote is for the turbo. Sounds to me like a good excuse to buy a ct upgrade......

lol, its a perfect excuse! I was ready to send the core I have laying around down to PT but it hasn't happened again...

There is NO doubt there was oil in the exhaust, but it has not happened since.

I just did a compression test... it ranged from 155 to 159 and that's skewed cuz the gauge I have sucks to read, the needle covers about 5 psi :rolleyes: irrelevant but great news for me! :)

·
WhorE
504 Posts
lol I get that little wiff of oil burning once in awhile as well, on a fresh rebuild too. Im guessing its turbo related since its used. My oil hasnt been going down or anything.

Wayne

1 - 17 of 17 Posts