Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
uh oh white smoke

Well I'm quite sure my 87 mk3 is burning coolant, white smoke, sweet smell :(

Now - not that it necessarily means anything, but the head gasket was replaced about 30, 000 KM ago.

There is no sign of coolant in the oil and the engine never over heats, and I have put it to the test on that, the temperature is stable and normal.

The only thing I can really think is, maybe the turbo is somehow leaking coolant into the compressed air, through the IC and into the intake etc. Does that make sense, anyone have any opinions / experiences?

Johnny

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
If your turbo was doing that, then you would have a cracked turbo housing... I doubt it's that...

There are two tests you can do...

Compression test, and test your coolant for exhaust gases...

I hope it's only something as simple as a bhg and not a cracked head or cracked block...

Jake

·
Got Boost?
216 Posts
Its possible the the head is cracked, or the head gasket job never seated properly. Im not trying to scare anyone, but i just thought id share one experience of my own. 1985 Toyota Celica. I had an overheating issue and burning coolant. I replaced the head gasket and saw visual bhg when i took the old gasket out. Got it all replaced and i still had a coolant burning issue and minor overheating. Turns out the head was cracked the whole time and the bhg was just compounding the issue. Get your coolant tested for exhaust gases at a nearby shop that you trust. And a word of advice, if you do find you have a bhg, then make sure you get your head pressure tested for cracks before you reassemble. Learn from my expensive mistake, i already paid for it :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the same problem. My car was overheating and smoking in the first place. I change the radiator then the overheating stop. But it is still smoking. I dont think its the head gasket because it was recent done by the previous owner. What could it be??

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
chia7chang said:
I have the same problem. My car was overheating and smoking in the first place. I change the radiator then the overheating stop. But it is still smoking. I dont think its the head gasket because it was recent done by the previous owner. What could it be??

There are two tests you can do...

Compression test, and test your coolant for exhaust gases...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts