Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just as the topic say...

when i drive on the freeway and when i hit 80 or 70 mph at constant my car shakes?

its like the engine is not bolted ot something

any ideas?

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
Check the wheel bearings and get an alignment? :dunno:
Alignment? I doubt it. Maybe wheel balance, or a bent rim? Could be a few things, but a balance would be your cheapest most obvious first move.

GL

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
May not even be that the tire is out of balance. Has the car been setting for winter or anything? Could be a flat spot in the tire(s) or a broken belt in the tire. Or the wheel beering, or an out of balance tire.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no the car is my daily driver to its always been driven...

and broken belt??? how do i check this?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
yeah, i think its alignment... but this seems like a technical thread.

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
Twin_turbo_mk3 said:
just as the topic say...

when i drive on the freeway and when i hit 80 or 70 mph at constant my car shakes?

its like the engine is not bolted ot something

any ideas?
Go get your tires balanced dude... and problem fixed... aight peace :chicken:

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
SavageDK said:
try goto 120+ mph if the shaking stops its tire balancing :)
and if it doesn't?

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Does it only happen when you start boosting?

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well imguesing its tire balancing then... as when i got 100 plus its stops...

but i have to drive slow in the freeway :( to much cops....

·
Registered
231 Posts
SupraTico said:
and if it doesn't?
Then tire balancing is ruled out like it just was...

I'd really like to know how you do your diagnosis unless you try different things... Do you change parts, and use cash first or do you attempt to find out what is causing the failure/error etc? LOL

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
SavageDK said:
Then tire balancing is ruled out like it just was...

I'd really like to know how you do your diagnosis unless you try different things... Do you change parts, and use cash first or do you attempt to find out what is causing the failure/error etc? LOL
? lol i was trying a mild thread hijack... cause i've got some vibration issues which i think are attributed to bad balancing cause it wasn't shaking before I got my current tires on the wheels - it vibrates, then stops at a certain speed and comes back worse above that speed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
it is most likely tire balancing in your case too... its very cheap to get it fixxed :) if that doesnt help get your bearings checked as someone mentioned earlier. Put the car on jacks and rock the tire around, if there is play then its bad :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the car shakes under acceleration/ deceleration only, its drivetrain issues. Check ujoints or carrier bearing. If the car shakes only at sertain speeds, its wheel balance. Go to a GOOD tire shop and ask for a dynamic balance, and tell em that you have a high speed vibration. If that doesnt solve the problem, GO BACK TO THE TIRE SHOP!! I work for Les Schwabs here in Gresham, and i know that if the vibration wasnt solved the first time, it wasnt done by me. ;) In all seriousness though. Also, it is NOT your alignment. That doesnt cause a car to shake, i dont know who started this misconception, but its completely unfounded. Your alignment only has to do with the way your car drives down the road. Not to get off topic, but if you want to shave some serious time off your ET's, have your car aligned. Toe in or out (your tires pointing to or away from eachother) is a huge power leech. Ive seen half seconds shaved just by getting the toe set.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah... im getting some new tires and at pepboys they give free alignments and something else... im ganna go shop around and see which one i can get good quality tires for cheap...

thanks for the input guys

btw i took out my back tire w/ rim and when i put it on a flat surface the tir leans outward... that cant be good lol...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts