Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I have done almost the entire underside of the car so far. I've scrubbed and pressure washed everything for the past month. The car is basically a shell so I have throughly cleaned everything.

Where I am stuck now is have you guys tried to remove the factory thick undercoating in the rear fenderwells of the car? That crap is thick, and is also caked with tire bits. I can't get this clean at all scrubbing. Actually on the driver's side it is bad, and the pass side is ok. Anyone know of a way to easily scrape the factory coating off? I'm thinking this car doesn't have an LSD :(.

I am going to add more undercoating, but I don't want to jut add layer upon layer on top of the stock stuff as well.

Will get some pics of the progress of the car though. Been meaning to make a thread, but don't have my camera with me. Car should look new once I am done, but that might be a while as I am so broke right now. Thanks for any tips on what I can use to get this crap off without too much hassle.

Alex

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
I hear using dry ice makes it easier to remove

·
Banned
81 Posts
I hear using dry ice makes it easier to remove
Dry ice is being used for everything now :) haha

There are a few people using it now to actually remove dents! I'm going to have to try to give that a shot. But i'll try it on a buddy's car first. LOL.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't really want to go out and buy dry ice so maybe I'll stick to the scraper. :(

Right now I have ALL the under car plastics off. All the fenders, bumpers, and trim off. Interior is gutted, and engine bay is completely bare. Kind of going on a cleaning spree. I will spray the under side of the car with fresh undercoat, and then all the plastics will get scrubbed down, and what doesn't get undercoated will get sealed and what-not.

I am going to try and not drive the car in the rain ever again since I went through all this, but if I do it should not be too tough to get it back to how it was since I have gone this far with the cleaning.

Alex

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
The bristle looking wheels you could use to remove it.

Just curious... but why would you want to remove it .. it stops the car from rusting, corrosion, small dings and such from rocks, etc. Id leave it unless you plan to spray a ton of undercoating in there afterward.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I should have been more clear in my original post. I don't really want to remove it in the sense that I will be taking it all off the car. I just want to cut through some of the ten-year old grime in the driver's side well. The passenger side is done, and surprisingly clean. I didn't have to do much on that side. The driver's, on the other hand, has a pretty thick layer of melted tire, and just grime. I'd like to get it down to at least the factory coating, and then recoat again.

I just don't like how it looks right now.

Alex

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
gotcha .. Besides taking off the tire and using a bit of elbow grease to remove the grime in there, yeah Id say the metal bristle brushes ( you can buy some to attach to a cordless drill ) would work well .. especially since your going to recoat it anyway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts