Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my drivetrain part of my build is complete:) and I moved on to restoring the body. I stripped the car down to just the dash......when I noticed silver dollar sized holes in my left and right rear inner wheel wells. Now the rest of the car is in great shape for a midwest car but I do have a SMALL amout of rust right around the right quarter panel where most mk3's rust. It's just surface, I took it down to bare metal and no holes or pits. I have owned 2 other mk3's and I never have a problem with the inner wheel wells. The car was only driven in the snow twice in my seven years of ownership and the first owner never really drove it at all. Toyota wants 180 list for the outer wheel wells but after looking at how much time it will take to break all of the factory spot welds and work the old and new pieces in................I never ghettoize any thing I build, I think I will just do some patch welding and call it a day. One reason I could think of this happening is from the factory undercoating having air and moisture between it and the metal.....making it rust out.

One question, have any of you ran into this problem.
I feel like I own a Dastun 240 again!!!!!!!:1poke:
Later Keith

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have heard of that before....im not surprised...as to why it happens or how im not sure....since its under all the interior stuff i would just patch it up and see if you can find a reason why.

pictures would help

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Mine has a similar (smaller holes) problem to yours. Ultimately I would get the new panels, cut out what you need from them and weld in those patches. Easier then cutting/drilling out the entire thing but not quite as ghetto as just slapping some random sheet metal on there.

On that Datsun note... I remember seeing one hell of a set of videos someone in Europe made about fixing all the rust in some Datsun (sorry, don't remember) he bought from the US without looking at it in person 1st.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I had the holes - I had my body guy weld in new rear quarters and new wells and it didn't cost too much. I think just doing the wells themselves would be pretty difficult without removing the quarter panels though. Also, check the availability of the rear fender wells, at the time I beleive I got the last two in north america...maybee additional ones were sourced though, who knows.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have great metal working skills so I just cut all of the rusted pieces out and am going to get some mild steel on mon. I called my friend at a local toyota dealer and he told me list price on quarter panels was $800+ each....... Thats crazy.
I will post some pics of before and after in a week or so.

Later Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts