Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing a Lokar brand braided universal throttle cable on my FFI project.
I myself am very pleased with its out come, pedal is smooth, throttle responce is crisp!

When i started this project i was concerned on how i was going to make the throttle cable work. I had heard of people extending the stocker, and or getting a cable off a Landcruiser.

I first pieced a cable consisting of a stock cable, and extended it with a piece off a Nissan Sentra. I had the cam style linkage from the Sentra welded onto the TB, found a cable lock from the local parts store. It worked but not very good.
I could never really get it adjusted, it would bind, makeing acceleration difficult.

I searched around, came across LOKAR. They specialize in cables, kickdowns for the aftermarket hot rod cars.
I ordered a 36" universal cable from Jegs (under $50). Once i recieved it, i really wanted t he cable to be underneath the manifold. To do this i would have had to fab a bracket and have it welded on to the TB for it to work.

The Accufab already had a ball stud mounted, so i decided to just rotate the TB and run he cable around the shock tower. I made a simple bracket for the adjustment nut to go through. The rest is very simple, cut the end install the linkage, snap it onto the ball stud.

The hardest part of doing all of this was getting to the original cabel and removing the throttle pedel !

Please post comments or thought on the install.

BTW i do have pic that i can post of the install, if any one wants to use a Lokar cable.

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There really is more play, for engine movement that it looks. Besides i plan on solid mounts!

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I hate to beat a dead horse, but there's no guarantee that solid mounts won't break. The way the engine torque would pull that cable, it WILL open the throttle when and if it does move. I'd play the safe game and mount that bracket to the intake mani somewhere.

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
i used 86 toyota 4runner 22r thottel cable fit's great and looks stock same wiht eh cam i just made mine out of the stocker and made simplabe bracket ont eh egin ti self

but yae i whould mont the cable on the einge it's self if you get in acdent and and that things open that si the last thing you want that and the einge rockig thing as well

M

·
0 Posts
NashMan said:
i used 86 toyota 4runner 22r thottel cable fit's great and looks stock same wiht eh cam i just made mine out of the stocker and made simplabe bracket ont eh egin ti self

but yae i whould mont the cable on the einge it's self if you get in acdent and and that things open that si the last thing you want that and the einge rockig thing as well
Sad part is i understood that. :)

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
SDstreetracer said:
do you have a pic of where it mounts to the pedal & firewall. thanks
as in me

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,911 Posts
Nash....Did that 4runner 22r cable fit straight dead on. I have the q45 tb and am thinking the land cruier throttle cable. If that 22r fits and is less money so be it!

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
Nash....Did that 4runner 22r cable fit straight dead on. I have the q45 tb and am thinking the land cruier throttle cable. If that 22r fits and is less money so be it!

yes look for 85 22r only the 4 runner thou i have pics of the hole install fi you wana look at em add me to msn [email protected]

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
NegativeGeForce said:
Great info...I think ill go with this cable instead of these ghetto ass cables from other cars :bigthumb:

um my cable fits like stock it must be getto eh

and it cost me liek nothing form wreaker i ythik it was liek umm 5 bucsk

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
NashMan said:
um my cable fits like stock it must be getto eh

and it cost me liek nothing form wreaker i ythik it was liek umm 5 bucsk
no need for that comment. I was just simply stating dealing with old cables that dont have the right length and need to be "rigged" for every different setup

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
cre3d said:
Not taht sad, arpepanlty we can raed tihngs vrey wlel eevn if teh wrods are hrrobily mssiellped as lnog as teh frsit and lsat lttres are in teh rhgit pcale. :)
doesnt excuse you from typing correctly. we have many member what surf in from all over the world who have enough problems understanding people. :die: :takethat:

on a constructive note:

nice man! glad to see you are still thinkin up new ideas for the ole-7m design ;) can't wait to see what kind of number you will thow out in the future :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts