Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We at Titan Motorsports get a lot of calls for ordering the best piston for the 2JZ engine.

We have come joined together with JE pistons to bring to you the Titan Motorsports Ultimate Piston. I will go into more detail about the benifits of all the upgrades later tonight, i just had to show pictures of the pistons as they just came in.....

The specs are the following.

1. Crown Coated

2. Skirt Coated

3. Pin Fitting:

The pin bore is precision honed to attain an exact pin clearance. Clearances typically range from .0003 to .0010 between the wrist pin and pin bore.

4. Double Pin Oilers:

Double Pin Oilers deliver twice the amount of oil to the wrist pin as compared to the standard single pin oiler. This is always recommended with high rpm performance engines.

5. Accumulator Groove:

An accumulator groove is machined into the land between the top and second ring. It provides additional volume where residual combustion gases that have blow by the top ring can collect. this additional volume help to reduce pressure between the top and second ring, thus aiding top ring seal and minimizing ring flutter.

6. Upgraded wrist pins to thick wall.

Retail Price $1199.00

Feel free to call us or contact me

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
Awesome. Yet another part your crafty minds have come up with to weasel money from me.

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
any advantages of going this piston over CP?
I'm agree with him ^^^^^^^^^^. Since CP has been the King of pistons from what I have seen and read on here. Is JE going to be the New King of pistons for Supras ????

·
Administrator
8,838 Posts
I think i've seen these pistons locally ;) JE sends many of these pistons to a friend of mine here in Durham, CT. They do the coatings for them as JE doesn't do their own coating.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
10,527 Posts
I'm agree with him ^^^^^^^^^^. Since CP has been the King of pistons from what I have seen and read on here. Is JE going to be the New King of pistons for Supras ????

Well, that's just SF group-think. Some disgruntled engineers broke away from JE, formed CP, a couple of big-power Supras installed CPs in their build and, in true SF fashion, voila, CP became the best. I, for one, never thought CP toppled JE as the new King of Pistons but some did and that's ususally good enough for SF....you know, something's the best because someone whose fast, won a dyno comp or whatever says it's so and we all know saying it's so makes it so.

My comments are not directed at you, Daniel, just those that say my pistons/exhaust/intake manifold/cams/turbo, whatever, are the best because I say it's so without offering a shred of empirical proof.

Ken.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that's just SF group-think. Some disgruntled engineers broke away from JE, formed CP, a couple of big-power Supras installed CPs in their build and, in true SF fashion, voila, CP became the best. I, for one, never thought CP toppled JE as the new King of Pistons but some did and that's ususally good enough for SF....you know, something's the best because someone whose fast, won a dyno comp or whatever says it's so and we all know saying it's so makes it so.

My comments are not directed at you, Daniel, just those that say my pistons/exhaust/intake manifold/cams/turbo, whatever, are the best because I say it's so without offering a shred of empirical proof.

Ken.
you are absolutely correct Ken, CP, JE, Arias make awesome pistons for the Supra. I personally am running Arias right now, if i had the chance to do it over again, i would probably do these JE's. not because they are better, but to run a higher compression. . .

Retail Price $1199.00

Rings included?

cu Andy
yes rings, pins included, basically everything that comes with a standard piston kit is included.

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
KENHENDERSON = No prob Ken!!!! I defiantely understand what your saying.

·
1,211 Posts
We still typically use the CP's in the 3.0L and the 3.4L but these are installed by us and are the program we've been using for years with good success. We have also a similar design with JE and when we have shortages or need we have used them back and forth. Over the years I have spent a lot of time researching pistons and I got a few laying all over my desk as well as a full pallet of used pistons out in the shop and the data we've gained from weight, strength, design, forgings, rings, etc has been very valuable. For the high end HP I'd go JE or CP all the way and any motor we typicall spec has either one.

Are you all going to be switching to using these in the Titan 3.0's and 3.4's? Or will you continue to use CP?

·
1,211 Posts
The materials around the valve reliefs are removed to prevent detonation and also with a large valve you have thin area around the surrounding edges of the piston. We have had the edges not clipped like that but they always end up folding over and chipping off after time in the higher HP situations. That material does not weaken the piston in any way whatsoever as this is not a load bearing or locating position.

Some cases where piston tops have seperated are typically more to do with the forging that it started with or the material in which case this is a non-issue as this is a tested piece in real world high HP enviroments and the part is based off prior testing with our programs.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

thanks

I don't like these pistons, having that little material around the valve reliefs weakens the piston in my eyes. I would rather have the walls built up instead of cut around the relief. Maybe that is because of the design with not being a dome piston.

By the way I normally like JE pistons but not this weak design.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The materials around the valve reliefs are removed to prevent detonation and also with a large valve you have thin area around the surrounding edges of the piston. We have had the edges not clipped like that but they always end up folding over and chipping off after time in the higher HP situations. That material does not weaken the piston in any way whatsoever as this is not a load bearing or locating position.

Some cases where piston tops have seperated are typically more to do with the forging that it started with or the material in which case this is a non-issue as this is a tested piece in real world high HP enviroments and the part is based off prior testing with our programs.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

thanks
interesting....

·
Banned
637 Posts
I have seen material fold over too around the valve reliefs, I have seen reliefs like the ones in the pistons pictured too...I'd like to see some pics after these have been raced on for a bit just to see what the pistons look like. I understand that they may be cut for bigger valves but the majority of people aren't going 2-3mm more on the valves unless there big pockets. (maybe thats just me???) I would rather have a slightly smaller relief with more material then have it like this to be used with BIG cams and BIG valves. It is really a give and take scenario, can't have it all-Safety and thick reliefs or big lift and big valves.

Honda Days:

Ok now this isn't exactly the same as Supra's but this is where my experience comes from. Everyone use to run a 81mm bore on the B-series motors back before 2000. Some piston designs had large reliefs cut for big cams and big valves, after some serious abuse the sides would chip off sometimes if it even hinted at the little bit of detonation. Some piston designs weren't agressive and had more material but the bore was so small you get only get a little bit of material around the relief cutout.

Fast forward to the 2.0ltr bandwagon...stock JE pistons in a 84mm bore with a 9:1 compression (the same design as the 81mm just bigger) had a HUGE amount of material around the relief cutout compared to the stock 81mm bore. From my racing experience this was a life saver, it made the damn piston so much stronger not to mention we got more displacement out of the motor too. I never had a problem with these pistons and loved them.

CP PISTONS:

If you go to this link you will see exactly what I'm talking about with the pistons.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1942100

CP pistons supposedly changed there design to fix this problem. I look at this piston design as been dangerous as well. The first thing to break/melt will be that valve relief in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts