Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm planning on buying a supra sometime down the road. From everything i've been able to dig up, the supra is just about perfect.

I do, however, have one pressing concern that i havent found addressed anywhere. I'm a bit of a sucker for various electronic toys. The thing is, I like my toys hidden away nicely. I'm wondering if theres any space in on or under the Supra for my car-based electronics fetish. To me, a car is not a car unless I have my GMRS repeater, my 1U rack computer with corresponding X.25 setup, and my 3000 watt inverter. Plus theres the all the mandatory supra electronics which will just take up more space.

I'm not too concerned about being able to actually see these things, as a matter of fact i'd prefer never to see them again. Everything is controlled by the main computer which can be accessed through the stereo head unit i built and wirelessly to a laptop. What does concern me is where i'm gonna put everything, without sacrificing the minimal readily available space (that in many way defines sports cars).

So my question is, where is there hidden away space left in a supra? Is there any space to the sides of the spare wheel? Is there any space at all under the body that could be used? Is there any space under the seats that could be used? Extra space left in the doors? I'd like to keep as much of my usable cargo and passenger space as possible.

again, accessibility is not really a concern. If I can get there once, find some way to cram the item in there without said item rattling around, and put everything back together, i'm happy.

any ideas?

thanks
Myren

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm really sorry, evidently my post is perhaps a bit much. i'm obviously very new here. please accept my apology.

in what context should i take :rolleyes: ? am i a moron for wanting all this stuff, or a moron for wanting to find some where to hide it?

thanks and sorry
myren

·
Registered
284 Posts
No apology needed, just don't know the need of such things in a car unless your doing some time traveling. I think the best place for space would be to remove the rear seat and do a nice custom install of your items and maybe a killer stereo.. No your not a moron just a different kind of question, do me a favor and takei nto mind my advice but please do tell about what the necessity of thosei tems in your car are exactly?

·
Very Senior Member
9,964 Posts
have you really been out and touched and driven a MkIV?
There isn't much "wasted" space.
I agree that the best bet is to remove the rear seat and custom build whatever you want. (You can't use the rear seat anyway.).

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
You could always build a little roof rack (O:

Seriously, there is a lot of room in the rear to build a custom install since the rear seats are useless. What exactly do you need all this stuff for?

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
On first thought the 1U rack-mount can fit right in the trunk under the tonneau housing.

I'm not sure how large your inverter is, but it likely could fit there as well. Alternatively, there are some large styrafoam (it's better than you think) tool holders in the rear on the left and right of the spare that you could remove.

You could then fabricate some appropriate brackets for the equipment you mention such that you had the appearance of a stock car. That is probably your best bet.

Alternatively, I'd recommend checking out some of the rather cool speaker setups that people have created for the rear as well -- mimic one of those with your components inside.

I too am curious as to what you're doing. I assume it has something to do with large amounts of music in a RAID array or something... Compaq has some sweet 1U rackmount RAID arrays that I've seen.

Anyway, if you need additional pics let me know. They're just a digital camera away.

Oh, and many people on Supraforums are jerks... wear your asbestos suit when you come here. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts