Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Running BPU with no cats and a blitz BOV

Situation: WHenever i roll up to a stop and let foot off the gas, it seems that right about the time it gets to idle it "Puffs" a decent cloud of smoke. Then goes away, till i stop again. Sometimes it doesnt do it, sometimes it does, i havent found out exactly what sequence of events causes it to happen but most on stops i see it happen.

I dont think its oil but rather fuel, as i can make it much worse if i play with my BOV settings.

I know BPU supras run rich, but this rich?

Every 500-750 miles i have to clean my plugs cause they are so fouled its starts misfiriring esp. on the sixth cyl. Very odd.

Anyhow would purchasing something like a S-AFC and a A/F wideband let me see and fix whats going on?

Any suggestions on a A/F gaugewideband so i hope one of those work.

The S-Afc not sure how it works or even if i could make it work, need to be dynoed dont they?

I am supra mod stupid :(

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I have found that having coils in good condition allows you to run a larger gap which in turn minimizes plug fouling. For example, most run a .028 gap in order to avoid spark blowout at 17psi+. The smaller gap cures the blowout problem, but it is only masking the real problem, namely weak coils. So what happens is that the combination of weak coils and small spark plug gap leads to fouled plugs every few thousand miles. I got tired of the constant plug changes, so I replaced my coils with new ones. I now run a 0.042 gap (almost stock!) and have no spark blowout at 18psi. My current plugs have now lasted 10,000 miles and look as clean and sharp as when they were new.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
If your BOV vents to atmosphere instead of recirculating, it will just make the over richness problem worse and I don't think a fuel computer will solve that.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
It is because you are venting your BOV to the atmosphere. When your BOV goes off, you are letting out "metered air" that the computer has measured causing your car to go real rich.

To solve this problem the correct way you need to :

a) Reciuculate the BOV back into the intake OR:

b) Buy a VPC, Map ECU, or AEM EMS
OR
c) you could use the decel funtion on the SAFC to tune it, but this is kind of 1/2 ass way of doing it. It will get the job done, just not as well as option "B"

·
Registered
410 Posts
ive got a greddy type S blowoff, and an apexi safc, i fouled my plugs recently and i wanted to know how can i re route the blow off back into the intake?

its currently vented to the atmosphere

do i need to reroute the exit with a hose? where to?

please help!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe reverting to stock bov?

should i remove the blitz or run both of them?

·
2 RiCh 4 Ur bLooD...SuPrA
601 Posts
crossways said:
I have found that having coils in good condition allows you to run a larger gap which in turn minimizes plug fouling. For example, most run a .028 gap in order to avoid spark blowout at 17psi+. The smaller gap cures the blowout problem, but it is only masking the real problem, namely weak coils. So what happens is that the combination of weak coils and small spark plug gap leads to fouled plugs every few thousand miles. I got tired of the constant plug changes, so I replaced my coils with new ones. I now run a 0.042 gap (almost stock!) and have no spark blowout at 18psi. My current plugs have now lasted 10,000 miles and look as clean and sharp as when they were new.
what kinda plugs you use?

·
Registered
967 Posts
what about if he puts a stock BOV back in the stock BOV location and runs a "T" off the vacuum source (the little hose that goes to the top of the stock bov)? Some members have had success running the stock bov in place to cure idle probs or rich probs.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
hmm... maybe this is my problem :(

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6097's NGK

I put the stock BOV on and now i have new probs.... rrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
bahraini_zupra said:
wow you sure these plugs are good for our bpu++ cars ?! damn at last somthing avalible here ! :D

plus how would i know if my sparks blow or fooled or missing ?

crossways ur da man :D :bigthumb:

bahraini, they are the same thing as the 6097s but they come pregapped larger. I like to have a plug that's as close to the gap I intend to run so that I don't have to bend the electrode very much, if at all.

Missing as it's name implies is when a sparkplug/cylinder fires partially or not at all. It will typically occur under high boost in the upper RPM range, usually right before a shift. Depending upon whether or not one or many cylinders miss. You'll feel anything from a brief blip to a sudden crackling sound and loss of power if the spark doesn't have enough coil energy to jump the gap under high boost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts