Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally finished the bhg repair after 6 months. The car is running. Had a few issues with timing but now it seems to be ok. It's around 12.I But It sounds like crap. When I hit the gas the car kinda hesitates before it revs. Also revs are really rough and idle putts. Not smooth at all. The sound of the exhuast is super loud and just sputters. Any ideas what this could be?

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Sounds kinda like my problem(also freshly back together after BHG), I set my timing around 10 (stock right?) Im thinking when putting the t-belt on, the cam timing might have been off a tooth or so. I might tear it back down to check, after I check a few other things.

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my timing should be fine now. It's holding steady around 11, 12ish.

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no codes.

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just put in some fresh gas and water remover. Also hooked up the pcv system. Seems like it hesitates a lot less. More towards the normal side. Drives ok but it sounds like a CHOPPER! it was never this loud before and not that kind of sound either.. don't know what it is??

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Hope the fresh gas did the trick. My car ran like crap on my 9 month old gas but it might run better now on fresh gas that I just filled it up with. Still getting code 11 though, arrgh :(

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was loud before man.. it's like 5 times that now. :dunno:

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
I just finished doing the HG on mine over the weekend (was only ~3 days, so it's not bad gas for me ;) ), and is doing exactly like yours is waynis. But I have several mods, so I'm thinking (hoping) it's just the ECU relearning.

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
827 Posts
Did you have the exhaust manifold off? Sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere to me. Check all your exhaust connections.

-Nick
'91T

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
blkt72 said:
Did you have the exhaust manifold off? Sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere to me. Check all your exhaust connections.

-Nick
'91T
yeah and it was a Bitch getting that back on too. I wonder if it didn't seal right. At the engine it don't sound bad though.. only out the back but there is no leaks in the rear I know that for sure. I'am really thinking header but it's hard to tell. I'am just going to have to take it off and put it on again and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
As for hesitation, I agree with the above post- check cam timing. That will really cause some hesitation.

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
827 Posts
waynis said:
yeah and it was a Bitch getting that back on too. I wonder if it didn't seal right. At the engine it don't sound bad though.. only out the back but there is no leaks in the rear I know that for sure. I'am really thinking header but it's hard to tell. I'am just going to have to take it off and put it on again and see what happens.

EVERY TIME I've taken an exhaust manifold I've had to helicoil a minimum of three stud locations in the head. Did you helicoil any? If not, I'll bet you stripped a couple out and they aren't holding the right torque. I've done this 3-4 times and had to use helicoils every stinking time.

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
blkt72 said:
EVERY TIME I've taken an exhaust manifold I've had to helicoil a minimum of three stud locations in the head. Did you helicoil any? If not, I'll bet you stripped a couple out and they aren't holding the right torque. I've done this 3-4 times and had to use helicoils every stinking time.
no i didn't where can i get the kit and what size?

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump if anyone knows the correct size ?

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,922 Posts
Are you still running the stock manifold? I can't get to the videos from work, but if it's got the real loud annoying sound my guess is an exhaust leak. I had a bad one when I had my pacesetters, not welded yet, the connecting pipe would seperate from the header causing that god awful noise along with a loss in power. Check the seal between the head and the manifold and so on. I just went out, bit the bullet and bought new studs and nuts from Toyota...I think it came out to about $60 or so :(

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Justin727 said:
any smoking?
nope. non out any kinds. NO white or black smoke.

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
88supramkiii said:
Are you still running the stock manifold? I can't get to the videos from work, but if it's got the real loud annoying sound my guess is an exhaust leak. I had a bad one when I had my pacesetters, not welded yet, the connecting pipe would seperate from the header causing that god awful noise along with a loss in power. Check the seal between the head and the manifold and so on. I just went out, bit the bullet and bought new studs and nuts from Toyota...I think it came out to about $60 or so :(
no noise appears to be coming from anything in the exhuast from the manifold back. I've heard a manifold leak before and this doesn't like it. All the sound comes from the exhuast note at the muffler. The engine is pretty quiet just a little shaky.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts