Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Boost Creep
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo I'm going to be detailing my Supra again.. and I'm looking for advice on products.

I have some swirls, and minor scratches and definitely looking for that deep black wet look. The car is in really good shape for its age, but I understand its soft paint Toyota uses.

Can anyone reccomend a good three step process?

Polish, finishing polish, buttery wax?

Looking for some products here. Also could use some reccomendations on pads. I have a PC7424.

(Car could probably use a wetsand, but im afraid to let anyone do that).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Coming from someone who worked at the Turtle Wax in Fox Valley Illinois lol, anywho wash the car as you normally would, spend some good time drying it down, the last thing you want is to deal with water drips while you're doing any other work. If you have access to an air compressor get yourself a good inline filter and an air chuck. I don't know if there is a technical term for it but basically an air gun with a trigger to control the air on and off. Blow out any crack that the car may hold ie: door handles, seals on windows, lights (especially the back ones jeez those things hold water all day lol). After the car is dry, get yourself some good clay bar. Spend some good time claying you're car. What claybar does in remove any surface debris that hasn't come off during you're wash. You can tell if you're paint needs to be clayd or not if you take a ziplock bag after you wash and dry it put you're hand inside the bag and move it across a painted area of the car, it will probably feel gritty and rough. A good clay job will make it feel like glass. It basically preps the paint for applying what ever wax, and or polish you choose to use. If you want to learn more about clay bars just google it. If the car is bad it will take about an hour and a half to two-almost three hours. All depending on how the car feels and looks. After you clay it you are ready to take on the next steps. You did say you have some minor swirls on there. For that try and get yourself some good 3M brand rubbing compound if you know how to use a high speed buffer then go ahead and do so. But i don't recommend it unless you really know what you are doing. If you don't thats fine you can do it by hand. Use a good cotton pad or a foam pad with a shirt wrapped around it. Do the entire car, make sure you have no residue or anything. Due to the paint being soo smooth the compound will want to stick to it, and streak. You can remove all that crap by using some glass cleaner. I find that the "cheap" sparkle brand works best. Just lightly spray you're areas, and use a microfiber to wipe it all off. If you're satisfied now you're finally ready for the wax. Some good wax i can suggest is the meguiars cleaner wax, it comes in a red tin. If you're more into the liquid wax (i prefer liquid over paste) get some of the meguiars yellow tech wax. Goes on easy, comes off even easier on that nice smooth paint. Just remember for the compound and wax or anything you will "apply" to you're paint NEVER USE CIRCULAR MOTIONS. Always go back and fourth. No matter what ANYONE tells you. Any other questions just pm me or post up for others to read. Good luck and have fun with the detail.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ive been detailling cars for local car dealerships and speedforsale.com (when he lived in Tn) for about 10 or so years now and at times it cracks me up to see what some people do to their vehicles to clean them. Ive seen some great writeups and some that go way to far in doing things to their cars that dont have to be done.

My question would be how bad are the swirls you have? If they are fine swirls you could probably get away with Zaino z5 and Z2 for your car. Some people would be surprised what a good product can do for their car without much effort. Zaino also makes a swirl mark remover that works well for deeper swirl marks. Check out Zainobros.com for their products. If its really bad then find someone that can buff it for you if you dont have much experience. Then put the Zaino on it after that.

·
MKIV owner since 1998
1,523 Posts
with a PC, use a 4" orange or yellow LC pad with Megs # 83 followed by Megs #80, if the 83 doesn't have enough cut, use 85 or 105, they both finish down very nicely. Put the PC on speed 5 - 6, and work the product until it begins to dry (add a spray of QD or water for more work time). DO a single panel at a time and wipe down and inspect the area, more than one pass may be necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts