Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our tensioners are now made of 4140 Chromoly which is pre-hardened and stress relieved. This impurity free material is stronger and more resistant to rust then 4130. We have now upgraded our tensioner with black oxide coating to eliminate any surface rusting issues. We take great pride in our machining and as you can see, this is a super high quality piece with no stress inducing machine marks. We also took the time to carefully look at and address all areas of the tensioner that could lead to failures. Notice the radiuses on every 90° corner that add enormous amounts of strenght and eliminate high stress areas that lead to cracks and failures. We invite you to compare our product to any imitation on the market as we know you will see we are light years ahead of the competition. Spend your money wisely and purchase the only proven tensioner bracket on the market. Ours have been tested and proven to work by Marko D's world record setting 1520 WHP Supra, Sound Performance's 1147 WHP SP01 Supra, Ken Henderson's Dyno shootout winning 1110 WHP Supra, WOTM Ryan Woon's 1100 WHP+ world record quickest 6 spd Supra, Peter Blach's 1040 WHP Supra, even Boost Logic runs one of our billet tensioners on their race car. Dont accept any imitation as this is the finest quality piece you can buy for your Supra.

We just had 20 of these made at one time which has reduced our cost. We will be extending those savings to our customers. The next 20 tensioners will be sold for $319.00. This pricing is for a limited time so get your orders in now. Our regular sales price is $399.00

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
:blah: :blah: :blah: um price... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I updated the original post. I am sorry, I should have posted seperatly.

"We just had 20 of these made at one time which has reduced our cost. We will be extending those savings to our customers. The next 20 tensioners will be sold for $319.00. This pricing is for a limited time so get your orders in now. Our regular sales price is $399.00"

SP Billet tensioners are availble NOW (ie IN STOCK)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

We believe the stock aluminum piece fails due to material failure and not design. However, I will update and see if we are changing to a radius cut.

Our billet tensioners are also lifetime warrantied.

·
Official SF BS Detector
177 Posts
Kean, you have mistaken direction of movement with direction of stress. Its obvious that the stress on the part is not as you described.

In this picture, the red line is the center line of the pulley. The black line is the force of the belt acting on the pulley. The blue line is the force of the pulley acting on the bracket. The right angle of the green lines is where the tensioner would snap if it wasnt designed well. Any sharp right angle will cause stress and is where cracks will start from. Putting as large of a radius as you can in that area will GREATLY strenghten the part.

Is it more likely that this tensioner cracked in the direction YOU described or the way I have described.

BTW, does your "lifetime warranty" cover parts (ie valves, pistons, head, etc) that may be damage from your tensioner bracket snapping?

G

·
I would be ashamed of showing off my copied products. It would truly demonstrate my narrowmindedness and lack of intuity. It would put me to the equivalent of a stale wart on a horses ass. It would definately be a sure sign that I in fact have not ever experienced any intimiate contact with any member of the opposite sex, consentual or pre-paid, and would it definately demonstate that I am in severe need of a life....I'm glad that I do not copy peoples parts and post pictures of them in threads that have nothing to do with me.......It's good to be me..........and I love my son....

G

·
I cant believe someone actually went out and tried to copy my handy work. :rolleyes: On top of that its a very poor attempt @ trying to make a quick $ and a poor attempt on a copy. Most copies of things I have seen better on the initial design to make it more marketable.Hell at least they make it look better. Mine still looks super pimp :bigthumb: compared to the copy. I guess we know whats more important in this case. Bigger profit not design,safety and the customer. I could have done a better job on the machining, but that would cary over to the customer.
I went through a bunch of designs and prototypes with Ivan and Lar before I went ahead with production. There was actually R&D involved in this little project believe it or not. Like other SP projects. SP wanted to make sure the customer got the best for a reasonable price. We talked about making them out of Titanium, but the cost was a bit too high for the average Supra owner and the point was to save motors and give the car owner a peace of mind........not to bank.

Anyways Ivan's drawing is dead on. Kean's drawing does not hold true. The stock arm does NOT fail in the pivotal direction since the arm releases the energy in that direction against the belt......which streches. It collapses outwards since the pulley sits higher than the arm and it creates more stress @ the bottom. The sharp bend and lack of material(radius) doesnt help either. I honestly think if there was a radius in the weak area the stock arm should last, but why take a chance. If you are gonna copy something you should try to make it better. Hint Hint. At least make sure whoever machines it....they get their feeds and speeds right. The copy looks fugly.

The best way I can put this is.

If you have the cash to buy a Benz why buy a Yugo. Sure they both serve the same purpose, but one serves it better than the other.

Oh Lar!!! Its radii not radiuses. :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I love it when lil Kean gets the boys from Chicago all stirred up. Keep it up, partner.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We did not go out and copy your part. We modeled our billet arm after the stock arm. We feel that the main failure of the stock arm is the material composition, cast aluminum, and not specifically the design. We fortified the design with far superior billet steel. We kept crucial bracing, as did SP, that supports the bearing arm. With these upgrades, our billet piece is more than enough to support the rigors of the 2JZ.

G

·
I love it when lil Kean get the boys from Chicago all stirred up. Keep it up, partner.
Little boys with shiny,pimpalicious,designed with radii and without crappy machining marks tensioner arms. :biggrin:

We feel that the main failure of the stock arm is the material composition, cast aluminum, and not specifically the design.
Its a known fact that aluminum is weaker than steel so you did make the arm stronger in your design just by changing the material. I've been doing machining work for 14yrs now with 10yrs of doing engineering work and after looking @ the stock tensioner I knew what the problem was. If square or sharp edges were so desireable in the engineering world why are arches so popular in bridge designs???Why are main hoops in roll cages round on the top and why are they made out of round tubing??? Asthetics I guess...............
As far as feelings are concerned.....I had a feeling once. I had a feeling that my ex would let me put it in her butt. Well after she took off like a top fuel car and nailed the head board I realized that my feeling was wrong.
Now that you realized that feelings can sometimes make you look like an ass change the design and post in a couple days that now your tensioner arms include radiused surface transfer areas.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
KA-T said:
...As far as feelings are concerned.....I had a feeling once. I had a feeling that my ex would let me put it in her butt. Well after she took off like a top fuel car and nailed the head board I realized that my feeling was wrong....
Thanks for the picture - I'm going to be laughing at that one for awhile :D

As for the strength, I'm pretty sure we'll hear if Kean's tensioner breaks on someone's car. You both make some good points and either could be right IMO. Time will tell, thankfully this is an issue I've never had although I suspect the bearing on my pulley is nearly smoked <sigh>

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
lifetime warranty covers the part or the part and the items it damages as well? :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
BTW, does your "lifetime warranty" cover parts (ie valves, pistons, head, etc) that may be damage from your tensioner bracket snapping?
Ivan, does yours, because it seems warranties only good when they are actually honored, not implied. Do you really think ours will break? Because if your betting man I personally take the one off the race car, one of our new ones, and a stock one, test with a local 100,000 pound torque test machine. Tell me what is a safe percentage over stock for strength? 2 times, 3 times, or 8 times.

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
As someone who has both SP parts and BL parts on his car, I happened to request Kean's tensioner a couple of weeks ago in an advanced order. Nothing else of theirs has ever failed me, nor ever disappointed me in the least bit. I will gladly run their tensioner on my car, and I'll be happy to report back with the results in due time. It's nice that both SP and BL are taking the time to R&D parts for the Supra community, as this is one part that could definitely hold true as being a fault in the design of a safe-running engine... props to both SP and BL, and their work in developing this piece.

If this thread isn't removed/moved/who knows, I'll report back here with my findings once Kean's tensioner is on my motor, unter abuse, and tested thoroughly.

Thanks Kean, for your part. And thanks Ivan/Larry, for your part as well.

·
Official SF BS Detector
177 Posts
Kean said:
We did not go out and copy your part. We modeled our billet arm after the stock arm.
You are correct, you did not copy our part, you copied our idea (quite poorly I might add). I am sure it was easy once you had the Sound Performance billet tensioner bracket that you ordered from us in your hands before you installed it on YOUR car. As far as modeling it after the stock arm... Can you show me where the stock arm has the features circled in red on this picture of your bracket?

Will your production tensioner bracket also include those improvements?

BTW, you never answered the question. Does your "lifetime warranty" cover incidental damage to a motor if it breaks?

You can polish a turd all you want.... but in the end, you still have a turd.

Your bracket is quite shiny :)

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
I have both and both are great! I love Larry/SP and my cousin Kean from BL in TX:) By the way, has anyone heard the results of the 4in Exhaust tests??? I wonder which shop had the best flowing and highest HP of the ones tested????

1 - 20 of 106 Posts