Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a few observations today...

-The rear seal is to blame, as the rear housing is covered in sticky black oily soot
-HERES THE KICKER!....

START = No Smoke
2 - 5 Minutes into idling = Smoke! Temp gauge beins to rise
5+ mins of idling = Smoke! Temp gauge begins to rise to normal opperating temp
Opperating temp & Driving = No SMOKE!
Under boost = some smoke, but its only fuel load

So what gives?
No this is not BHG. Checked for that. Not vavle seals either. Dont' think its rings, compression is fine.
No coolant loss....
You can smell its oil.... NICE AND OILY WHITE TOOO!

Any body help here????????? What would cause the smoke to go away once the car was up to opperating temp?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The seal on the back of the turbo is a ring just like a piston ring in most cases. Usually if you have a cracked housing it will open up the warmer it gets like a crack in a cylinder head. For some reason it sounds like the ring is expanding to seal better when it warms up. What shape are your bearings in the turbo in when it is cold. They will have some movement but you shouldn't be able to pull sideways and scrape the housing with the shaft. Are you positive you have no cylinder issues? No missing at idle or road speed. The reason I bring this up is I had a guy that I built a turbo for once a he came back and said something was wrong. I trouble shot everything and could find nothing I had done wrong. I fired it up and it was missing, He told me it had fouled a plug due to oil the turbo was putting thru it. It fouled a plug due to the hole in the piston the Bosch platinum put in it. Lesson learned well on that deal. l

B

·
0 Posts
uh, let me get this right. you're making an update to your other post as a SEPERATE post? why couldnt you just post this on the existing post? you seriously get more retarded with every post.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bdekoning... WHAT EVER. You're what like 16? Don't even begin to start a flame war with this post. Why you gotta be an @$$ & a hater like that to a fellow supra owner whos just trying to be creative and save some money for all of us mk3 owners?

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
Goodbar6 said:
my buddies Sr20DET did the same thing. His problem was a blocked oil return line. Ive heard the same thing happening with a turbo positioned too low for the oil return.
Yep.. Trent used to have this same problem. I'd bet money that's what it is.

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
just be sure the hoses have perfect clearances and check if theres kink in the lines that may prevent it from flowing freely..

check that out!

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No kink. But I think the mods can close this thread now...

I took off the intake (mind you this is the second time I have done this to investigate.... the first time I found nothing when this whole problem started) with the afm attached, and holy $H!T THERE IS OIL EVERY WHERE. The whole compressor assy has about .018"+ play left to right. This thing is junk. I don't think it was right from the beggining. So now, I get to clean up 2+ qts of oil out of my air system. I took the intercooler bottom pipe off, OIL EVERY WHERE.
Fuq this thing.
I might see you guys in a month or so.
Thanks to the guys who helped out I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
As for the guys who flamed, kiss my ***MOD SENSORED*** white boy round harry ***MOD SENSORED***, ***MOD SENSORED*** @$$!

B

·
0 Posts
no, im 13.
as for being a player hater, i dont recall ever saying i had a problem with you experimenting with truck turbos. im all for it, however, i did think it was retarded that you have to have 20 different threads about the same topic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the turbo might not have been bad in the first place. The previously mentioned SR20DET situation started with a brand new turbo. The oil return like got jammed up (RTV is NOT recomended for oil return line gaskets :)), and killed the turbo. Make sure that the return line isnt kinked, or too low for gravity to help take the oil out of the turbo, then look elsewhere.
Tyler

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Goodbar6.... its in the same location at a stock ct-26 would be. I simply machined off the ct-26 studs, made an adapter plate, and put on the holset turbo.
www.MDCmotorsports.com/supra.htm

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Goodbar6. Thanks for taking much interest in my problemos. Kudos to you. As for the turbo's age, thats a good question. This much I know, the seals that are leaking are not rubber or plastic. They are a some sort of steel or billet ring that snaps around the turine shaft. Im not real sure how that would go bad, as they (the turbos) are stored in oil.... so no rust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts