Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

You remember my twisted driveshaft ...

I took my twisted driveshaft to a shop here and did repair it , they used better and stronger metal as they said ...

Pictures after the repair ...

I drove the car , So far it's fine , i did boost to 28 PSI and the driveshaft handled it , So far so good , i hope it stays good ...

And i have to mention how much it costed , it did just cost $57 ...

Regrads,

Yousef

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
$57 bucks! Awesome! Good job.

·
Single Turbo
712 Posts
I hope it holds up for you! Good luck

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Not to be the rain cloud on this, because I'm very happy that you got your driveshaft fixed, and the car is running again, especially for 57 bucks, but keep this in the back of your mind when driving.

First, keep an eye on the welds CLOSELY....

Second, It looks like the shop welded in steel piping between both ends and while the piping is super strong, it still doesn;t solve the underling issue that caused the driveshaft failure in the first place. It could be wheel hop, it could be worn bushings, but almost definitely not the amount of torque the driveshaft is seeing on street tires. Now instead of the driveshaft twisting, you run a much higher risk of blowing a rear end, and that's money.

But as I said, I don't like to be the nay sayer, and I'm very happy that you have an operational car again. Just be careful.

Eric

·
Registered
304 Posts
What grade of steel is stock and what grade have you fitted?

Cheers

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cowboy bebop said:
Not to be the rain cloud on this, because I'm very happy that you got your driveshaft fixed, and the car is running again, especially for 57 bucks, but keep this in the back of your mind when driving.

First, keep an eye on the welds CLOSELY....

Second, It looks like the shop welded in steel piping between both ends and while the piping is super strong, it still doesn;t solve the underling issue that caused the driveshaft failure in the first place. It could be wheel hop, it could be worn bushings, but almost definitely not the amount of torque the driveshaft is seeing on street tires. Now instead of the driveshaft twisting, you run a much higher risk of blowing a rear end, and that's money.

But as I said, I don't like to be the nay sayer, and I'm very happy that you have an operational car again. Just be careful.

Eric
You are 100% right Eric ...

And i'm happy of you and your useful post ...

I was afread to drive my Supra after installing the Driveshaft , then it was ok , i'll check it after a week or two to see if it's ok ...

thanks again ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts