Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new here. First post actually. Forgive me if this has been hashed out in other threads, but wanted to get your ideas since I'm sure the aftermarket is still so new. I wanted to ask your opinion and this is partly to help me decide which car to buy. If I bought a new 2020 GR Supra (whatever the top model is) and put $20K additional in aftermarket parts for both performance and looks, what could I expect to achieve in performance and looks? Here are the (desired) requirements list:
  • Definitely need a big wing in the back (loved the big wings at SEMA)
  • Body kit package with carbon fiber skirts
  • Performance upgrade to reach close to 0-60 in 3s (if not better)
  • I live in California so catback is probably not OK here. :(
Please tell me if this is possible or if I would need more in aftermarket $$. Please list the parts you would use with links (if you got the time) and prices. I am trying to compare this with another car which I will not mention (to not anger anyone on this board).

·
iSPOOL
1,020 Posts
What are you using the car for it to need to hit under 3 seconds 0-60? Curious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you using the car for it to need to hit under 3 seconds 0-60? Curious.
It's not going to be a track car but may bring to the track occasionally. I mean, it's more for enjoyment and launches up to highway speeds. Nothing reckless. Like I mentioned, it's trying to see which car makes most sense since the other car is about $20-30K more.

·
iSPOOL
1,020 Posts
It's not going to be a track car but may bring to the track occasionally. I mean, it's more for enjoyment and launches up to highway speeds. Nothing reckless. Like I mentioned, it's trying to see which car makes most sense since the other car is about $20-30K more.
I'm not a drag expert but the Zupra 0-60 is 4 seconds at best so you wanting to knock off a full second or more will require a good amount a tuning and supporting mods. I wouldn't be adding unnecessary weight of body kits either if that was one of my goals.

What's the other car? It won't bother us any more than the Zupra does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not a drag expert but the Zupra 0-60 is 4 seconds at best so you wanting to knock off a full second or more will require a good amount a tuning and supporting mods. I wouldn't be adding unnecessary weight of body kits either if that was one of my goals.

What's the other car? It won't bother us any more than the Zupra does.
Well I'm trying to figure out which is the better buy between a C8 or a highly modified Supra to get similar results

·
iSPOOL
1,020 Posts
Kind of figured lol. C8 hands down. I plan to buy one in a few years.

I don't like to speak for others but the C8 is more respected here than the 2020 Zupra.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A tune alone might get you to around 420 hp (crank) and a 0-60 mph of around 3.5 sec (Car magazines have achieved 3.8-4.0 seconds stock). Modifying a car in California in any detectable way that impacts emissions is likely to cause a problem, so a 2020 Supra may not be your best path. A 2020 vette achieves your 0-60 goal out of the box. Put a big ricey wing on it and you're all set. Don't forget the coffee cans on the tail pipes to complete the look.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,385 Posts

I don't like to speak for others but the C8 is more respected here than the 2020 Zupra.
Ahh, yes. Many vocally robust members of SupraForums.com tried to petition the staff to change this section to the official C8 Corvette section, that or official C8 thread. Eitherway, it's well received here.

Listen,No. 92, the C8 is $10, 000 more than the 2020 Zupra, and is not the 30k more you mention. As ScrwDrvr said, "get the other car".

·
Registered
138 Posts
OP like many have mentioned, C8 is better received here than the Zupra. C8 just seems to check every box and give you bang for your buck they listened to their marketbase. Basically everything the Zupra shouldve been, its been pointed out the interior is basically identical to the FT1 concept.

Whereas the Zupra is a BMW masquerading as Toyota and basically is them trying to make a buck on the Supra name. Get what makes you happy, but if you want to be better informed on the MKV you dont need to go too far here.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,260 Posts
if 0 to 60 or hwy pulls are your goal, get yourself a c7 z06 or wait for z1r prices to come down when c8 hits the showrooms. Like others posted, look into another car. You are talking about spending 60k on a bmw that you plan to mod and void the warranty. At that price range, just get a nice used R35 and enjoy the car. If you must have a new car, look into m4.

·
Blue Thunder
3,418 Posts
Buy a NA JDM Supra and mod away.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
546 Posts
C8.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

That's the sentiment I'm getting in the threads I read. The Supra was a year late as the C8 really surprised them and blew the Supra out of the water

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahh, yes. Many vocally robust members of SupraForums.com tried to petition the staff to change this section to the official C8 Corvette section, that or official C8 thread. Eitherway, it's well received here.

Listen,No. 92, the C8 is $10, 000 more than the 2020 Zupra, and is not the 30k more you mention. As ScrwDrvr said, "get the other car".
The reason why I mentioned $20-$30K more is because after optioning the C8 to what I really want as far as performance extras and trims, it comes out to $90K. Which is a lot more than the touted $60K. It's deceiving. So, that is why I came here with the question. Can I make a Supra as nice looking and perform as good as a C8 and possibly save some cash? So far the answer is a no but I've seen/read videos/articles claiming extravagant horsepower mods (i.e. 600+ hp) but wasn't sure how much those mods cost and are they legal in California? But yes, the right answer may be to stick with the C8

·
iSPOOL
1,020 Posts
Damn, your options came out to $90k? A fully optioned one is $103k lol, you must have added a lot. Mine was a tad under $76k. Of course there's still tax, tag, title to pay but still less than $20k difference from Zupras which are trying to be sold in the high $50k range with no options.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts