Supra Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,212 Posts
@No.92 the majority here are not fans of the MKV so you will get biased responses with that being said the C8 is a better option for what you get, as you noted the options and price add up quickly. I'm excited to see what the aftermarket for the C8 will look like. Part of me also thinks there will be a MKV making more power being released.
While it is true the majority in here are not fans of the MKV, it is not true that the majority is biased, IMO. Objectively speaking, the base C8 is superior to the MKV in every way (excluding looks which are subjective) and its superiority has been noted, or inferred, in various posts by participants in this thread. In my estimation, no MKV comments are being made out of ignorance, the basic underpinning of bias. Not liking something is not the same thing as bias, although it can be when ignorance is the primary source of the bias.

I know you have, generally, taken a more wait and see measured approach to the MKV and that, I believe, is a good thing. That said, accusing others of bias because they have an informed dislike of a certain product is, maybe, evidence of your bias against those members of the community who are not fans of the MKV. It seems to me the OP could have substituted almost any <$100k car for the MKV in a comparison to the C8 and I daresay the comments would have been similar, if not identical, to the ones already posted. That, IMO, is testament to the out-of-the-box greatness of the C8 and not some inherent, uninformed bias against the MKV.

Ken.

·
iSPOOL
1,020 Posts
While it is true the majority in here are not fans of the MKV, it is not true that the majority is biased, IMO. Objectively speaking, the base C8 is superior to the MKV in every way (excluding looks which are subjective) and its superiority has been noted, or inferred, in various posts by participants in this thread. In my estimation, no MKV comments are being made out of ignorance, the basic underpinning of bias. Not liking something is not the same thing as bias, although it can be when ignorance is the primary source of the bias.

I know you have, generally, taken a more wait and see measured approach to the MKV and that, I believe, is a good thing. That said, accusing others of bias because they have an informed dislike of a certain product is, maybe, evidence of your bias against those members of the community who are not fans of the MKV. It seems to me the OP could have substituted almost any <$100k car for the MKV in a comparison to the C8 and I daresay the comments would have been similar, if not identical, to the ones already posted. That, IMO, is testament to the out-of-the-box greatness of the C8 and not some inherent, uninformed bias against the MKV.

Ken.
Perfectly stated as always Ken. There is absolutely no bias in each car's capabilities, just objective facts.
A non-optioned Corvette (MSRP only $4,729-$10,000 more) is superior in every way to the Zupra except lateral acceleration and the brake test.
I've seen that being a California resident limits an enthusiasts ability to modify their vehicles while keeping them legal so the OP finding $20k+ in modifications in an attempt to close the large gap in performance might not be an attainable goal as of today.

With either car personally I would wait until the warranty expires before modifications begin. This benefits me twofold. First by retaining your cars integrity with the dealer in the rare event of mechanical failure. And secondly it gives the market years to develop products for owners and for those owners showcase which products are superior.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Perfectly stated as always Ken. There is absolutely no bias in each car's capabilities, just objective facts.
A non-optioned Corvette (MSRP only $4,729-$10,000 more) is superior in every way to the Zupra except lateral acceleration and the brake test.
I've seen that being a California resident limits an enthusiasts ability to modify their vehicles while keeping them legal so the OP finding $20k+ in modifications in an attempt to close the large gap in performance might not be an attainable goal as of today.

With either car personally I would wait until the warranty expires before modifications begin. This benefit me twofold. First by retaining your cars integrity with the dealer in the rare event of mechanical failure. And secondly it gives the market years to develop products for owners and for those owners showcase which products are superior.
This is a good point.

The C8 is so damn good out of the box, there's not a lot of gray area in the modification department.

By that, I mean that being a mid engine sub-500hp V8, simple to moderate bolt ons will really be all that's needed. The type of mods that can easily be reversed if necessary to keep the dealer from bitching when it comes to warranty work.

Plus, if one is truly worried that a bolt on exhaust will make the local service manager void the warranty, just go ahead and get the Z package and it'll all be covered.

The C8 is the best american muscle car ever produced in terms of factory capability. It's faster than the C7 ZR1 0-60, among others. That's shocking.

Outside of that, the warranty will matter not to people on the black portion of that white scale who are interested in going TT immediately.

·
JetFire
5,286 Posts

Ken.
Good points Ken, if the Zupra was not affiliated with Toyota in any way I believe many would actually like the car because of if's similarity with the MKIV/MKIII with having an Inline 6 Turbo. There's an entire thread here on the BMW N series engines and the similarities just because they are inline 6 turbos. I wouldn't say I'm biased against those members it's just beating a dead horse with repeating the same complaints. We all know it's a BMW etc...maybe I'm just tired of seeing the same posts and arguments when I search new threads. These sub-forums have now become somewhere for to vent Toyota's choice. Toyota and GM have different business models. GM actually cares and caters to those that love Sports cars, Toyota sees that segment as a risk.

I like what GM has done, the C8 is the new market upstart in a way with the base price and the pending Z models that will probably outperform anything out there stock for stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
NO # 92. Get the C8. boy do I have a story to tell you. Last weekend at car show in my town , two Zupra showed up , they parked next to me and wanted my attention or acceptance,as I was standing next to my gorgeous 1997 Supra TT 6 Spd, I was polite and friendly and he was trying to sell me on buying a MK5 , he offered to take me for a ride which I really didn't want to go but I hopped in to the passenger side and as he acted like a salesperson and pointed out all the features, it was nice! , then we jumped on freeway and he let it rip, it was nice!, the was arrived back to car show , it was really crowded we had our windows down going 2 mph trying not to hit people who were walking everywhere, then the comments started coming...nice BMW, hey look at fake vents, go back to Germany etc I was so embarrassed for the owner, he was getting car show abused like I have never seen before. Not nice! I don't think this car is going to make it Toyota.

·
Registered
328 Posts
NO # 92. Get the C8. boy do I have a story to tell you. Last weekend at car show in my town , two Zupra showed up , they parked next to me and wanted my attention or acceptance,as I was standing next to my gorgeous 1997 Supra TT 6 Spd, I was polite and friendly and he was trying to sell me on buying a MK5 , he offered to take me for a ride which I really didn't want to go but I hopped in to the passenger side and as he acted like a salesperson and pointed out all the features, it was nice! , then we jumped on freeway and he let it rip, it was nice!, the was arrived back to car show , it was really crowded we had our windows down going 2 mph trying not to hit people who were walking everywhere, then the comments started coming...nice BMW, hey look at fake vents, go back to Germany etc I was so embarrassed for the owner, he was getting car show abused like I have never seen before. Not nice! I don't think this car is going to make it Toyota.
Wait, you mean Blakbird's friends didn't start swinging on those guys calling it a BMW Zupr4???

·
JetFire
5,286 Posts
Wait, you mean Blakbird's friends didn't start swinging on those guys calling it a BMW Zupr4???
My friends? I have friends that like and hate the car we all get along stop with the assumptions. Whoever buys these cars will need thick skin to ignore the noise if they don't have it then yea they may not take it well. Some will care what others think others may not, some kid called my Supra overpriced at a meet I chuckled and kept walking. If you care what others think especially in the social media age then every day will be a long day.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My friends? I have friends that like and hate the car we all get along stop with the assumptions. Whoever buys these cars will need thick skin to ignore the noise if they don't have it then yea they may not take it well. Some will care what others think others may not, some kid called my Supra overpriced at a meet I chuckled and kept walking. If you care what others think especially in the social media age then every day will be a long day.
TLDR.

Doth protest, quit crying and acting like you don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm pointing out the egg on your face because not too long ago you were getting all worked up with "so are you going to go to meets and tell people how fake their Zupr4 is? You might piss someone off! You better watch out!" like their soggy ass is gonna do JACK SHIT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just announced. " 2020 Toyota Supra upgrade parts from AC Schnitzer are here"

Hes a popular German BMW Tuner and the guy just launched a whole line of accessories and power enhancements for the Supra.

This is just wrong on many levels :-(

·
JetFire
5,286 Posts
TLDR.

Doth protest, quit crying and acting like you don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm pointing out the egg on your face because not too long ago you were getting all worked up with "so are you going to go to meets and tell people how fake their Zupr4 is? You might piss someone off! You better watch out!" like their soggy ass is gonna do JACK SHIT.
Egg in my face oh noes my reputation here is now shot yawn I still stand by that "you" won't confront anyone in person for buying a MKV.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just announced. " 2020 Toyota Supra upgrade parts from AC Schnitzer are here"

Hes a popular German BMW Tuner and the guy just launched a whole line of accessories and power enhancements for the Supra.

This is just wrong on many levels :-(
For anyone that's curious here's what AC Schnitzer's Supra looks and sounds like.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you want to go all in for $90,000, I would buy a built, used GTR. You could probably find one for less that would be really fast and fun to drive. That will get you the performance you want. I just can't justify buying a Corvette because of the rear wheel drive and you will see them all over the place. All that power and you are just asking to lose control. I've seen way too many videos of guys just driving along and losing control. The traction control may help, but I like the all wheel drive of the GTR.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts