Supra Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

handy with the steel
And that is why some of us get paid the big bucks.... you don't desire to be an expert with what you're messing with, that's fine.... I'd be delighted to take your money for doing something that will take likely less than 30 minutes to fix but some people all week to pay for.

馃ぃ Right.

The fact that you would recommend random folks to YOLO-SendIt DIY a full stand alone EFI system, with zero clue as to their level of expertise is absurd. As the saying goes: "fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

Certainly nothing we are discussing is black magic, but the fact of the matter is that it is well beyond the capabilities of many car enthusiasts - at least in so far as their time or willingness to learn goes. This is self evidently true, otherwise no one would pay you those "big bucks".

Registered
What attitude is that exactly? The reasonable stance that no singular person is an expert in every topic and some areas are better handled by experts/professionals? There are no universal experts, no matter how much desire or willpower you believe you have.
Like I said, nothing in his 1 post gives us an inkling of his knowledge of the 2jzgte platform, let alone his tuning prowess. We don't even know if he has a GE or GTE, VVTI or Non VVTI.
He won't learn tuning relying upon a forum that tells him to take it to someone. I'm glad that I don't take that attitude with people because by that measure almost everyone is a moron when it comes to computers. I'd rather encourage someone to learn something they don't know rather than assume they're not capable based on them not knowing how to do it already.

Registered
With that said, OP, if you have any questions about tuning your car feel free to DM me and I'll do what I can to help you out..... for free....

iSPOOL
He won't learn tuning relying upon a forum that tells him to take it to someone. I'm glad that I don't take that attitude with people because by that measure almost everyone is a moron when it comes to computers. I'd rather encourage someone to learn something they don't know rather than assume they're not capable based on them not knowing how to do it already.
This isn't a problem with my attitude but rather your lack of reading/awareness for the situation. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way but your evaluation of this thread is off base as others have stated.
Re-read the OPs first and only post.
Then reread my first reply. If you need I can explain what I posted.

handy with the steel
With that said, OP, if you have any questions about tuning your car feel free to DM me and I'll do what I can to help you out..... for free....
No doubt the advice will be worth every penny.

Registered
^^ I see your cheap attempt at an insult.

Let me guess you've had your supra for x number of years and now you're the authority on anything car related. Maybe your friends are dumber than you and they come to you for advice, in turn stroking your micro-ego, but the rest of the internet is not.

The fact of the matter is, you guys are part of the exact reason why car forums are pretty dead these days (I hope a mod reads this and realizes it's true). Nobody wants to come play "king of the hill" with "the forum experts". Most of the "car guys" I've met are very capable people but doubt themselves or are so invested in "their precious" that they're afraid to do anything they don't know how to do..... and that's what separates me from you guys. Some people in life are chicken shits, yes.... even high horsepower turbo car owners are chicken shits.

Instead of me going to re-read what you wrote, how about you go re-read what you wrote and see how it doesn't foster learning in the community you wish to participate in and be a part of. Let me know how telling others to go spend their money instead of learning something about their car works out. I see that it has worked out swimmingly well for the two of you, incapable of providing tuning advice other than "i dunno pay someone."

Great success. I wonder why the guy only posted once in his own thread. You guys basically turned him away from reply #1.

iSPOOL
^^ I see your cheap attempt at an insult.

Let me guess you've had your supra for x number of years and now you're the authority on anything car related. Maybe your friends are dumber than you and they come to you for advice, in turn stroking your micro-ego, but the rest of the internet is not.

The fact of the matter is, you guys are part of the exact reason why car forums are pretty dead these days (I hope a mod reads this and realizes it's true). Nobody wants to come play "king of the hill" with "the forum experts". Most of the "car guys" I've met are very capable people but doubt themselves or are so invested in "their precious" that they're afraid to do anything they don't know how to do..... and that's what separates me from you guys. Some people in life are chicken shits, yes.... even high horsepower turbo car owners are chicken shits.

Instead of me going to re-read what you wrote, how about you go re-read what you wrote and see how it doesn't foster learning in the community you wish to participate in and be a part of. Let me know how telling others to go spend their money instead of learning something about their car works out. I see that it has worked out swimmingly well for the two of you, incapable of providing tuning advice other than "i dunno pay someone."

Great success. I wonder why the guy only posted once in his own thread. You guys basically turned him away from reply #1.
So like I said if you read what I posted versus what you posted you'll see you incorrectly assumed my intentions which is currently making you look foolish. My recommendation was, "if you have a tuner in mind, see what EMS they recommend." I mentioned this because I have seen recently 2 separate posts from people on this forum who have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on EMS systems which they couldn't tune themselves, their local tuners didn't use the system, or there weren't any tuners in their area or country period so they come here for help. So in order for the OP not to waste his money, since he is on a budget, my recommendation on his research of parts was to find a suitable EMS system for his needs. If he buys an EMS that he cannot use and no one will tune he will have delayed his build and wasted his money. Proper planning.

You misread my post either willfully or unknowingly misrepresenting it as "finding a tuner and seeing what ECU they recommend." The OP doesn't even know what sites to research parts let alone take on tuning. If he can tune great, but why the heck wouldn't he know where to purchase any basic supporting parts if he was able to tune an engine?

Then followed up with "Wrong hobby bro. Your wallet isn't going to increase by upgrading a car, it's going to decrease." How are you exactly helping him with that comment? You're being hypocritical. How did that "foster learning in our community?" That offered no value whatsoever and I've dismissed it since my personal experience of buying one part at a time worked pretty well. I took apart my engine by myself in my garage after working 10-12 hours a day. I did what I felt comfortable with but in the end I was too damned tired of wrenching after working my ass off in the hot Florida Sun so I had my tuner finish my build. But I know my build through and through and there's no shame in saying someone else knows more about a subject than I.

Where did I ever say "I dunno pay someone"? That wasn't the message I conveyed if you read properly. If not I explained it above.
Like I said before this is a case of knowing your audience and you seem to be tone deaf to the OPs situation and challenged my recommendation without merit.

And lastly car forums are dead because of other social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube)and people priorities change. I was gone for years since my focus wasn't cars rather traveling the world and my career. Stop with the baseless claims. Read the original post and find what his needs actually is. Its not tuning. Its not even parts. His primary need is research. Which will ultimately save him time, money, and heartache in the long run. Tuning is the last thing he would need. Hell the first step he wants is 400hp, that horsepower level can be achieved with zero tuning dude!

Registered
No need to dump your purse out, what I said wasn't incorrect. The car hobby doesn't make you gain money, it makes you lose money. You know this is true and if you say it's not you're either lying to yourself or ignorant. I don't need to justify what I said because it still stands and is as correct now as when I said it the first time.

I haven't met a car guy yet that wasn't "on a budget". I hope you can realize that different people have different budgets and he didn't once specify what his budget was. Saying "i'm on a budget" is a given for anyone that is good with their money.

He obviously doesn't know how to tune, but he's not going to learn from a site with keyboard ninjas telling him to "go find your local tooner and see what they want you to do." Also, telling me about your working long days/hours falls on deaf ears w/ me. It's a fool's errand and a myth that "hard work pays off". Smart work pays off, jumping ship on your current job pays off.... again, many are too chicken shit to jump ship because it's going into the unknown.... just like the many that are too chicken shit to try tuning their own cars. Scared of "blowing up their investment". That's another misconception with the my supra shit don't stink crowd, your car isn't an investment because investments make money, they don't cost money over a long period of time.

In any case, I'm done preaching to the genius keyboard ninjas. Don't forget to smash that like button.

Mind if I do a J?
Not to be a dick FluxCapacitor but aren鈥檛 you the guy who posted in the ProEFI section a couple months back about not knowing the difference between an .srz firmware file and .xcal calibration file for ProEFI? Now you鈥檙e here in this thread acting like the tuning god talking down on people who can鈥檛 tune their own cars?

Registered
I'd also point out that it depends on what one's goals are, what is their motivation? Is it to learn how cars work? If so, dive on in, there are a myriad of systems to understand! However, for folks like me...

I really only care about driving. The only reasons that I work on my car are because:
-It is expensive to hire someone else to do it. The more I work on it myself, the more budget I have for other things, Supra related or otherwise.
-I care about the result of the work, I'm personally invested in it.
-If the car (or any car) has trouble out on the road, I might be able to figure it out and fix it myself.

That all said, let's circle back to the "I only care about driving" part. I base my path on what is going to give me the most time behind the wheel. Tuning is something I could handle, but being the tuner and driver is a tricky thing to do, and it turns out I don't have a personal dyno, so there's a degree of danger to anyone around me too. Not worth it when I can spend a day with a competent tuner, rather than months chasing little issues, and end up with a solid driving car.

The other thing I won't likely take on myself is the finishing bodywork and paint. I could make a booth out of my garage, and figure out all the things that you shouldn't do when doing a home paint job, and spend thousands on a quality compressor, filtration, ppe, and gun, and hope it turns out like I want, or... I could take the car somewhere over a winter, let a quality shop take care of it, end up spending a similar amount (I like quality tools...), and be happy with the result the first time. This lets me drive it more. Also, I know painting is not a skill I've developed much, I don't have the eyes for it...

All that said? I'm planning out how to make a flat bottom for the car and run all my plumbing for my fuel cell and dry sump tank. So, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but I'll take the option with the least downtime when I know my work won't likely produce the result I'm looking for in a timely manner.

From the land down under
Well put, Brad.

I believe that nearly everyone in this thread is on the same page, and your post sums up my sentiments exactly. I love getting my hands dirty, and working on my car. Im proud of the work I have done on it. But I am happy, like you are, to know when its best to pay an expert to achieve a perfect job, when it comes to things like dyno tuning, and body work/spray painting etc. That doesnt mean I am lazy, or less of a car nut than the next guy though.

I just dont understand the need to try and be purposely abrasive to other forum users, when we are all here to help each other out. Its simply unnecessary, and does little to endear others to you. We are all car guys, and all love the same things, so thats why I am here :)

iSPOOL
No need to dump your purse out, what I said wasn't incorrect. The car hobby doesn't make you gain money, it makes you lose money. You know this is true and if you say it's not you're either lying to yourself or ignorant. I don't need to justify what I said because it still stands and is as correct now as when I said it the first time.

I haven't met a car guy yet that wasn't "on a budget". I hope you can realize that different people have different budgets and he didn't once specify what his budget was. Saying "i'm on a budget" is a given for anyone that is good with their money.

He obviously doesn't know how to tune, but he's not going to learn from a site with keyboard ninjas telling him to "go find your local tooner and see what they want you to do." Also, telling me about your working long days/hours falls on deaf ears w/ me. It's a fool's errand and a myth that "hard work pays off". Smart work pays off, jumping ship on your current job pays off.... again, many are too chicken shit to jump ship because it's going into the unknown.... just like the many that are too chicken shit to try tuning their own cars. Scared of "blowing up their investment". That's another misconception with the my supra shit don't stink crowd, your car isn't an investment because investments make money, they don't cost money over a long period of time.

In any case, I'm done preaching to the genius keyboard ninjas. Don't forget to smash that like button.
Lol this is still going on?
You're being dishonest in your points and getting defensive because people don't agree with you. What you said was incorrect because if you've READ there was nothing saying he is doing this for an investment so where did that segue come from? You say we're telling him not to learn yet your first post is to suggests don't even start because its expensive? Hypocritical and incorrect. From my understanding by him mentioning "his wallet increasing" he's alluding to getting a better job or career as time goes on. Similar to my situation which is why i gave my real world example. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I interpreted it.

When a person uses words like budget we are safe to assume he means that at this moment in time he cannot afford top of the line brand new products. Yes everyone has a "budget" but the usage of the word matters in the given situation. I'm sure we have all said at one point in our lives that we are "starving." We don't mean that in the literal sense like malnourished children in war torn poverty stricken countries but rather the colloquial usage that you're conveying the notion of hunger at that point in time. You're being dishonest.

Once again you misconstrued my advice of buying an EMS which you can use as me telling the guy to let another person hypothetically molest his car by tuning it for him? Please read.

I mentioned working 12 hours a day to lead into the point of being too tired to finish my build. Plus I do not have a dyno to safely tune my vehicle properly and at the time I had the funds to have someone do it much faster than I could have. Especially since I did most of the work myself so I saved on a ton of labor charges. But that point seems to have flown over your head.

There is no keyboard warriors here, I'll say the same thing to your face. It makes no difference. I offered help and you didn't. And I hope you are done "preaching" because no one is buying your street corner prophecy.

Mind if I do a J?
Was my post deleted?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts