Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here is a topic I know very little about...and I'd appreciate the feedback of those of you who have had to go through this upgrade.

Several things related to upgrading a fuel system (injectors, fuel rail, fuel lines, electronics, and adding an adjustable fuel pressure regulator) are fairly clear in my mind. However, fuel pumps themselves are not. I've searched around a bit and know of several solutions, but would appreciate hearing about them again. Here are a few options that I've seen:

Option 1. Twin in tank OEM Supra pumps. This seems like a setup that many go with, and although I'm unclear how the actual mounting of twin in-tank pumps would work, I've also heard that there is a guy (Henri?) selling the bracket that will allow for this kind of mod. Can you tell me how much power these will support? I think that these pumps are available for about $180-$190 each from Jay Marks.

Option 2. Walbro in tank pump/pumps. I don't know much about these, but supposedly they make a fairly priced product and are actually rather small physically, despite having some decent high flow models. Perhaps you could get away with just one Walbro high flow pump? My mechanic has already told me that he'd recommend going with one pump if possible over two, so this may be a good solution. Trouble is, I've been unable to find a good source for research on Walbro pumps so far.

Option 3. Paxton in tank pump/pumps. Same as above. I really don't know much about these, but have read of a few MKIV guys using them.

Option 4. HKS in tank pump. Very high cost! About $675 and it flows 165 psi at 90 gallons/hour.

Option 5. External fuel pump (that I currently have). Not sure what model at this time, but I can tell you it's loud as hell, and I'd really like to replace it with an in-tank setup! ;)

If anyone could help educate me here, I'd appreciate it. Cost is always an object for me, but I'm looking for a reliable setup that will flow up to perhaps 700 rwhp (planning ahead). My car already has a fuel cell, the aforementioned upgraded external fuel pump, and upgraded fuel lines. All other components on my car are stock in the fuel delivery sense (injectors, fuel rail, etc.), but I'm planning ahead for my eventual single turbo since my current fuel delivery system needs work.

Thanks in advance! :D

Steve T.
1995 Supra TT hardtop

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
blah blah blah steve go with the HF dual fuel pump kit check you PM

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, but I'm actually hoping for a bit more information about how the different fuel pump options compare. I appreciate the info nonetheless! :)

Steve T.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
np just somthing to keep in mind! proven to work with the NE. guys 100%!!

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Somewhat ironically, that is one of the sites that I actually have seen, but it wasn't able to give me information about a really high HP setup like the MKIV. I do appreciate it! :)

Steve T.

forcefeed said:
Here is some info about the Walbro http://www.vfaq.com/pump-Walbros.html Its from a DSM site so most of it is with regards to DSM's. There is a a map of the flow here http://www.vfaq.com/RX7-Miata-pumps.html Hope that helps a little.

-Amir

1 - 6 of 6 Posts