Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been looking at upgraded hoods and I've searched as best I can and no one seems to talk about the practical aspects of and differences between an upgraded hood be it carbon fiber or fiber glass in its various forms (top secrect, oem euro hood scoop, TRD, etc.). Naturally I've got some questions:

1) Is there a noticeable difference in cooling (I'd wager the an answer is an obvious yes)

2) Are some hoods noticeably better at cooling than others. I prefer something that matches the color of my car. I would not want to pay $700+ for something that does the same thing as adding a euro spec hood scoop, especially since there appears to be minimal weight savings in purchasing a new hood.

3) How do these things hold up in the rain?

4) What is the low cost but effective recommendation if I also do not want complications with strut bars, big radiators or the need for hood pins?

Right now I'm leaning euro hood scoop unless a complete hood replacement with more vents is clearly better at cooling while also not being a hassle. Andi had it on his One Lap Supra. The second runner up would be a TRD caarbon fiber replica. THANKS!

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
After owning hoods from Veilside and Seibon, here are my thoughts regarding aftermarket hoods for the Supra...

1. They don't fit worth a sh$t, even after a lot of futzing around.
2. There can be difficulty using the stock hood latches, including the center latch (see point number 1).
3. You should use hood pins, nearly regardless of which brand (see point number 1).
4. Cooling is definitely improved, but at the absolute cost of being able to easily wash your car. You can see heat rising up out of the hood at times.
5. Most of them weigh as much as stock, if not slightly more...due to the fact that the factory hood is aluminum. Only the very light carbon hoods are absolutely lighter than stock.
6. They do look very aggressive, and as long as you're not up close they tend to look very cool.
7. I'd never buy one again (see point number 1).

:wavey:

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After owning hoods from Veilside and Seibon, here are my thoughts regarding aftermarket hoods for the Supra...

1. They don't fit worth a s#$t, even after a lot of futzing around.
2. You should use hood pins, nearly regardless of which brand (see point number 1)
3. Cooling is definitely improved, but at the absolute cost of being able to easily wash your car. You can see heat rising up out of the hood at times.
4. Most of them weigh as much as stock, if not slightly more...due to the fact that the factory hood is aluminum. Only the very light carbon hoods are absolutely lighter than stock.
5. I'd never buy one again (see point number 1).

:)
Very helpful...
How does it prevent car washing? Hood too hot?

Would you then recommend a euro hood scoop or would that not effectively cool?

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
Sorry, got distracted at work but just now added more comments to the original post.

I mentioned the car washing thing due to not wanting to pour water directly onto your motor or electronics under-hood. Car washing is less casual than it once was is the main point. I know that may not sound like a big deal, but it's worth considering as one of the pros/cons. :)

I have no experience with the Euro hood scoop so am afraid I cannot help with that question.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I wonder how old-school louvers would look and work to release heat? What do you guys think?

I keep having flashbacks to the nice louvers on my '67 XKE hood ...errrr I mean bonnet. I'm tempted to have some clean, professionally cut louvers put in a spare hood and try it.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
They definitely seem to work. The Veilside effective has those in the back (3 slats on each side near the windshield) and I do recall seeing heat rise out of them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a stock hood with the euro scoop, as well as a Modellista Top Secret carbon fiber hood. The cf hood weghs 14 lbs vs 21 lbs for the aluminum stocker if I remember the numbers correctly - most definitely lighter though. As for cooling, I'm sure there must be some benefit to having the euro scoop vs the normal hood, but I couldn't tell you how much. I went to the Modellista specifically for additional cooling benefits, and they are significant. I'd never really had water temp issues, but dealt more with oil temperatures. I believe that I am running at least 10 degrees cooler oil temps with the Modellista vs the stocker with hood scoop. The air flow through that design is phenomenal. Even parked with just the fans running, you can feel the air coming out of the vents, much less the flow you get when actually at speed.

I also completely agree with everything Steve said. The fitment is rediculous. Frankly I'm not sure why we can't get a cf Supra hood that fits well. I also have an '02 Z06 with an aftermarket cf hood that fits beautifully with nice tight, even gaps all the way around, so obviously it can be done. Washing the car is a challenge since the water just goes through to the engine bay. The Modellista doesn't use the stock latching mechanism which helped keep the weight down, but also necessitates pins - but I think I would use pins with a cf hood regardless.

Bottom line is that I would not put a cf hood on unless I was actually running it on the track and wanted the extra cooling that it provides.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
I never thought of how much harder it would be to wash the car. A euro scoop, Do Luck, or even TRD hood wouldn't seem too bad, but the Top Secret must be a nightmare!

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Yeah the trd comes with rain guards, and I thought the genuine Top Secret came with them as well.

If it is a problem washing just tape off the vents with painters tape and a plastic bag while washing. When you are done washing just clean the vents by hand with quick detailer or a small amount of soap, then wipe off with a damp MF and dry off as normal.

Alex

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
I don't know, maybe I got lucky, but my Seibon hood fits like stock. Here are a few pix. I did have to raise up the hood latches and replace the stock "shouldered" bolts with regular bolts, but it wasn't too difficult to get it to line up correctly.

As far as washing the car goes and driving in the rain. You should be ok with either as long as you dont' have a lot of polished items in the engine bay. I have a completely polished bay though so I simply put a trash back and towels on top of the engine parts to soak up the water and keep the polished parts from getting wet when I wash the car, pretty simple.

My car definatly runs cooler under the hood and also I have electric fans and don't have any overheating issues now even when running the AC. With the stock hood I could definately see hotter temps on my Greddy coolant temp gauge.

Steve K.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Sorry to go a bit OT here, but Evill, your car is absolutely stunning.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I have NO issues washing the car with the Euro Hood scoop. Because of the way the hood natural arcs, water usually just streams down the hood. Only way I can really see it being an issue with the Euro Hood Scoop is if you were directly spraying water INTO the scoop.

I have a fully polished engine bay as well, and as Steve EVIL SUPRA has mentioned, I can easily just place a towel on my spark plug cover which will soak up any small amounts of water that got in.

I did not see a significant decrease in oil/coolant temperatures at all (referencing Greddy Gauge) when I installed my Euro Hood Scoop, but I figure some air flow is better than none at all.

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
The euro hood scoop doesn't allow the hot air from under the hood out of the engine bay, instead it forces cooler outside air in, creating more drag. I would think hoods like the TRD and TS style allow more air to leave the engine bay and create less pressure thus allowing more fresh air to be taken in over the intercooler, AC Condensor, and radiator.

Steve K.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
Steve K,

Your Seibon hood looks terrific and, if it can be accused of anything at all, may just be a little too short overall (and I don't mean much). I would have been pretty darn happy with that type of fitment, but mine seemed nowhere even close to that.

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,303 Posts
not sure which brand CF Top secret hood he has but Jamie carters old black cars hood fit perfectly.

·
Stock Twins King
4,499 Posts
I have NO issues washing the car with the Euro Hood scoop. Because of the way the hood natural arcs, water usually just streams down the hood. Only way I can really see it being an issue with the Euro Hood Scoop is if you were directly spraying water INTO the scoop.

I have a fully polished engine bay as well, and as Steve EVIL SUPRA has mentioned, I can easily just place a towel on my spark plug cover which will soak up any small amounts of water that got in.

I did not see a significant decrease in oil/coolant temperatures at all (referencing Greddy Gauge) when I installed my Euro Hood Scoop, but I figure some air flow is better than none at all.

Beautiful car you have! What front lip is that? A Wiffbiz?

I bought a Seibon CF hood, installed a Euro scoop and molded it into the hood as one piece. Then I painted it OEM. Bought it Jan 06, and after 2 trips back to the painter, the overall time it has been on my car is like 2 months. NEVER paint CF~!

I have another driving event coming up and I will take note of temps. I noticed at my last event, that after a 20 minute session when opening the hood, the heat doesnt seem to be nearly as high as it was with my oem hood.

Stu

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: Put on a TRD replica and noticed a big difference in the feeling of heat (dont have hard numbers to verify). Not only does the fiberglass hood absorb less heat than aluminum, but when opening up the hood i dont have whoosh sauna/oven feel. Apparently the heat has been cooled or vented from the engine bay. The engine bay area is still warm but not unbearable like before. The hood does seem to cool the engine bay a lot. Very happy with the upgrade, until it rains...

·
BMW Tech
337 Posts
You can always get another stock hood and have air ducts behind your turbo and intake manifold made to flow more air across your motor to help cooling.

This would be the best so far because of being an OEM part and letting you pick what style of holes are made.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts