Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted to put larger turbos into the stock location, as many of you already know. Well I finally got off my butt and took a shot at it after I am forced to put the car back to stock. Lets get to it..
Turbos are Turbonetics super 60's .48a/r stage 1.
Here is the manifold with the t-3 flanges tigged on.

Slight port on manifold

manifold and one turbo with downpipe mounted

Turbos mounted

Turbos mounted with downpipe

After everything mounted and with first time polishing piping :)

Let me know what you guys thing.
Each downpipe is 21/2" and exaust consists mainly of 4" piping. I will get some pic's of the exaust set up. Using an 31/2" electric cutout I can either be straight 4" all the way back or within 2 seconds it can be quieter than a bone stock supra.

Lawrence

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
is there any way to expand that port where the turbo mounts to the manifold? That looks like a HUUUGE restriction, and might cause some problems.

Alex

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Ditto. Maybe it was the angle, or maybe the flanged had to be offset for fitment, but it does look weird.

Let us know how it works and if seq. system works with it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks pretty interesting, but how are you controlling boost, it doesnt look like those turbos are internally gated, atleast they dont have the actuators attatched... but in one of the pics it looks like you have an HKS 50 mm wastegate but I didnt see any flange on the exhaust manifold...

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are correct, I am using an E-bay 50mm wastegate to control boost. I have so far driven it around a few days, since the air box doesnt house a filter but rather a cold air pipe that goes through the fender area into the front duct of the bumper, you can hear the turbos scream when they are starting to spool. I havent ran it that hard yet as I only hit 14psi once and blew an IC pipe off (need to get a smaller t-bolt clamp). I have ran these turbos on this car before with adapters to the stock manifold. 14psi [email protected] which was close to the stockers [email protected] rpm's. This set up should be a little more efficient than the one before. Expecting full boost in the mid 4k rpms. Definately keep you guys posted with the #'s it puts out.

Lawrence

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
twistedmethod333 said:
Ditto. Maybe it was the angle, or maybe the flanged had to be offset for fitment, but it does look weird.

Let us know how it works and if seq. system works with it.
The flanges had to be welded this way for proper turbo fitment for the stock piping to work. The sequential system doesnt work anymore. This car will always be in ttc so to say.

Its weird how differently the car sounds now under acceloration, definately sounds like it used to when I had the stockers on. A whole lot different than the GT42r that was on before. I am still keeping the 1000cc fuel system, Hks 272's, Upgraded ecu on the car. I am also curious to see what it does on the dyno.

Lawrence

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
InvisibleMonkey said:
^ exactly what it says, getting rid of the sequential operation of the turbos

Wait, he disabled seq on purpose? I didnt see that part. If so, would the seq. system work if you desired it to?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Umm he never said anything about disabling them on purpose, he just said they DONT work anymore sequentially.

Is every VSV and vacuum line still hooked up to the stock twins? I'm assuming not which would eliminate the sequential operation right? If those turbo's weren't normally internally gated it would have been easier just to run the wastegate off that center section of the manifold. Might even control boost a little better.

Alex

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alx2785 said:
Umm he never said anything about disabling them on purpose, he just said they DONT work anymore sequentially.

Is every VSV and vacuum line still hooked up to the stock twins? I'm assuming not which would eliminate the sequential operation right? If those turbo's weren't normally internally gated it would have been easier just to run the wastegate off that center section of the manifold. Might even control boost a little better.

Alex
The sequential system will not work because I eliminated the valve that goes onto the downpipe. I also took the butterfly off the #2 turbo. All the vsv's are on there but I have vacume lines going to them so they visually look stock and hooked up for emission reasons. I had thaught of running the wastegate off the center of the manifold which definately looks allot better at controling boost since #3 and #4 cylinders go into the center part of the manifold. Thats why i focused the porting to direct those 2 cylinders to the turbo flange. To do this and get the manifold to fit perfect would of took allot more time and effort. I only took one week off of work to do this project.

A sequential system still could be utilized with using an 21/2" butterfly on #2 downpipe like the stock system did, this definately would of took even more time designing this system.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Lawrence

1 - 20 of 35 Posts