Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to some good 6.5" door speakers (modified the stock speaker box and insulated with some foam). I noticed the speakers oscillate quite a bit, but I feel no bass. I would assume the door cavity could be used as a compartment for the speaker, but I've heard other cars with smaller door speakers sound AMAZING. Does anyone here have any tips / ideas / photos of proper ways to install door speakers for some better mid/low range sound?

I also don't get some flat bass with new rear speakers as well. These are all sonly speakers with upgraded 4-ch amps. These things may be out of phase as well, gotta double check em.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
First things first, get rid of your stock speaker enclosure. Use it to make an mdf template to mount your new speakers to. And above all else, use sound deadening material. My material of choice is dynamat extreme. You will notice a big difference in the way they sound.

What speakers did you get?

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sony Xplod? XS-V1630A 3-way 6.5 Peak power 220w/ 55w nominal 4ohm. I placed 4 of these all around the car.

At a below modest volume, I can see the cone vibrate to the bass, but don't hear/feel it as much. Almost as if these speakers need a larger enclosure. I modified the stock box and sealed the speaker behind it so no sound would leak. Maybe the box is too small or needs a cutout in the rear, don't know. I checked the phase, and they are properly phased from the sound.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
Well you aren't going to get a whole lot of bass from those period. They usually do better in an open environment in your doors.

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
xplode = crap...want bass? add a sub

·
Registered
252 Posts
i was in a similar mess.

passenger side door panel went out so i ended up putting in MB Quart crossovers in the door panel (replaced tweeter in dash also).

i noticed that it didn't sound as nice as the factory speakers. i then upgraded the head unit to an in-dash and then i lost the bass from the sub in the trunk.

poor me..

btw chris (mkiii), you leaving the audio business for good or moving to another location. i'm still waiting on that custom sub enclosure. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
/i have the same issue. upgraded to kappa perfect componants, amplified, and still no bass like at all. I'm using a cut out template with the rear of the speaker in the door

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I want to see someone come up with a set of door panels with a little more room in the speaker area for a custom enclosure. IMO, this is the only way to REALLY do it correctly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
lets see some pics of what people have done because i want to upgrand my speakers in my 87 and i was thinking of cutting out the stock grill and putting the speaker grill on that and i havent decied what speaker i was gonna buy i was thinkging about Clairion they sound great

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
any more info on this?

I upgraded my setup with some Phoenix Gold RSD6.5's and lost my bass completely. I need to know of the best way to seal up the doors. I did some layer of sound deadening, but there is still no bass present at all.

Pushing the component set with a 2 channel 125x2 rms amp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts