Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I get rid of the adjustable cam gears I have? I am going to upgrade cams and there seems to be ALOT of people who run stockers with aftermarket cams...opinions?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I can relate this to motorcycles, since I've done this several times. On a bike, the cams will work with stock cam gears. But with an adjustable cam gear, you can tune the maximum benefits from your cams. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to cars too....

·
Registered
428 Posts
The common party-line is that the adjustable cam gears are good to squeeze somne power out of stock cams but pretty much every finds when tuning aftermarket cams that they just end up zeroing them out.

So a lot of people don't even bother putting the adjustables on there if they know they will be upgrading cams in the future.

·
Registered
907 Posts
i think people get rid of the gears when they go standalone, not just cams. with the aem, there's little benifit to haveing the cams adjustable. IDK for sure, but thats whaat ive heard in the past.

·
Registered
285 Posts
the benefit of adjustable cam gears is to be able to "degree" the cams so that they are within the specs on the cam card

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
I degreeds my HKS 272s... to 0. Due to the high quality of HKS cams, they are usually dead on form MFG specs. Once you establish the "real" 0, you can tune from there. In most cases, you end up shifting your power band rather than making more power. Every motor setup is different.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
also aftermarket cams are not a perfect match for heads that have been ported. Once you change your headflow and your cams, you also change the cam timing where the head makes max power, usually not straight up.

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm....conflicting answers. Didnt Boost Logic run 280's and stock gears?

Jason

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
if they are exposed it wont hurt to have some nicer looking gears as long as they are not HKS ones.

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
First off, I think that all cars are a little different by 1 degree or so. When I installed my 264's I degreed them and did 12 dyno runs after wards messing around with my JUN's. As it turned out I think I was -1 intake and + 1 exhaust.
Yes, ass backwards to normal. What I did was adjusted them to get a better area under the curve, and to have my HP still appear to be climbing at 6800. Knowing that some day I would get my ECU reflashed to 7400rpm (which I just did)

Oh, I have a mild stage one ported head.

Stu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts