Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had luck upgrading the front speakers without replacing the headunit?

If it a makes I have a 92 with the orignal cd player, 6.5" speakers up front, stock amps and factory subs.

If so, any suggestion on what speakers to get?

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
shouldnt be that difficult. just take the old ones out and wire the new ones in. some splicing/soldering may be required, but nothing to extreme.

kenwood, rockford fosgate, alpine, pioneer

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
infinity perfect. The kappas have been known to melt under high heat.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
i have these bitches hooked up..

to this...

with 2 10"s hooked up it sounds fuggin awesome

next step is to find 91+ grey door panels and put them on so it seals the woofer on these 6 1/2" speakers

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you want to keep things factory, then AudioControl makes some products that clean up the audio signal of stock headunits that can later be amplified with upgraded speakers.

Or if you don't want any more power, you could just replace the speakers you have now with another set of 6-1/2 coaxials?

If you're going to keep the stock headunit, amp, etc, there's really no sense in buying something insanely expensive or audiophile-quality. Just get some pioneers or something which are affordable and sound very good for the price.

·
Banned, jk lol
3,871 Posts
I decided to go with 4" Polk Audio speakers. 80 watts each and $70 shipped on Ebay for 4, you can't go wrong.

-Matt

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
You had all that from the factory? Nice. I wish I had 6.5's. Would be much easier to upgrade than going from the 4's to 6.5's. Just go to a local car audio store, ebay, etc.. and pick up a decent set of 6.5's. You will only have to splice in a couple wires for each and you'll be good to go.

·
Super Moderator
10,143 Posts
Holy shit... your car doesn't have the system 10 option does it? I've been looking for pics of speakers & placement of that system for AGES.

·
Digital Dreamer
898 Posts
I installed some Rockfords in my 92's doors and they sounded great. Stock hu aswell like you wanted. It took an hour or so, from start to finish, and a teeny bit of soldering, nothing hard tho. They shook the doors and mirrors nicely :)
eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts