Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 supra with some 370z wheels
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm trying to upgrade the rear speakers and I've come across a snafu.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Wood

I'm aware that the earlier model supras always had different rear speaker sizes, and even crutchfield doesnt even know, so I've taken it upon myself to measure the rear speakers and even compare it to the front speakers.
I measured it and I guess I'm wrong because they are apparently the same size? I just need help figuring out the rear size of the speaker just so I can replace it. Heres the part number on the back of the speaker too
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

am I trippin or could it just be an oversized 4 inch speaker? and is there a way to maximize the rear speaker sound?

am I just overthinking it?????

anyways cheers guys thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,478 Posts
I put a 5.25 speaker in. When I used a 4" it was too small using a rockford 4" i made a plexiglass cover to mount to and cover the remainder of the open area. When I use the 5.25 it pretty much covers everything. regardless of whatever you do I have never had a good-sounding MK3 no matter how much I seem to pour into it. lol Well nothing like a proper new setup car. My ISF with the mark Levingston was amazing, and my RS7 with just bose is great. Mind you I never spent stupid money on speakers either, last set I bought was alpine SPS 610c and they sounded super bright. Just never really balanced always missing mids.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a 5.25 speaker in. When I used a 4" it was too small using a rockford 4" i made a plexiglass cover to mount to and cover the remainder of the open area. When I use the 5.25 it pretty much covers everything. regardless of whatever you do I have never had a good-sounding MK3 no matter how much I seem to pour into it. lol Well nothing like a proper new setup car. My ISF with the mark Levingston was amazing, and my RS7 with just bose is great. Mind you I never spent stupid money on speakers either, last set I bought was alpine SPS 610c and they sounded super bright. Just never really balanced always missing mids.
thank youuu. I see what you mean. I tried these kicker CS speakers on the fronts and they have really good clarity and bass but the mid tones arent as clear. I'll try to 5.25 inch speakers.

·
Registered
1988 Supra, NA, Auto, 116K Miles
306 Posts
The issue is the speakers are comically small for how large the doors/cabin is. That being said the first thing I did with my Sup was spend about $1,500 for decent Hertz speakers to replace the blown stock system, small kicker amp, cheap alpine stereo, and a 10" sub that lives in the back seat buckled up.

It sounds pretty damn good, but there is only so much you can get from that speaker size. I do wish I poured more into a bigger sub and amp though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My 89 had 2 sets of OEM rear speakers back there. Look around the rear seat side bolsters facing the front where the seatbelt comes down on each side. There may be OEM speakers there if you have a 6 channel system. I don't use these on my car since I have a 4 channel aftermarket unit. If you are looking at new amps you might want to take advantage of these additional channels.

·
90T
1,494 Posts
The best thing you can do is put a sub in the back. The stock system no matter what you do lacks bass.

This thread has a lot of good info.

Some threads I've written about my own mods.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah the pro install I had done put the sub (enclosed) with it firing toward the rear glass. I'm sure this is likely the best setup, but I was not happy with it and even with the velcro it was not secure enough. So I bungee/seatbelted it in the drivers passenger seat.
I don't think it gets enough air back there because I can hear distortion sometimes, but overall it's some pretty decent impact.
Gotta be careful how much bass you send through even nice aftermarket speakers of that size though, they just can't handle it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
In 1996 I replaced the 4 inch speakers with Pioneer 5 inch in the front and back and also a pair of larger speakers that sit on the rear seat armrests. I cut holes in the car speaker covers and laid over the metal mesh that came with the speakers after cutting and folding it to fit like a factory. Installation. There are 3 amplifiers that live under the passenger seat. Finally there is a bazooka tube in the trunk. The head unit is a Sony that controls a 10 disc CD changer that is placed where the driver side rear trunk tray would be. Just a few years ago, I added a cigarette lighter Bluetooth transmitter that transmits music to the radio or from micro SD or USB inputs. You can also take phone calls through the radio if you bind it to your cell phone.

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Car

Fixture Motor vehicle Camera lens Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Automotive design Automotive parking light

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Radio

·
Registered
306 Posts
Those look hilarious (but I know exactly how much friggin' work that would have been for the back seats). The front ones look REALY good. That's an improvement.
I don't know why an alien invaded your shifter, but the EQ in the lower stereo is absolutely amazing.
Even with out all that. I think my setup just needs a better sub solution, but I'm not about to go custom. She gets me 90% of the way there when I need Italio DIsco or Eurobeat (really the only two choices for the car unless it's other extremely 80's stuff.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 89 had 2 sets of OEM rear speakers back there. Look around the rear seat side bolsters facing the front where the seatbelt comes down on each side. There may be OEM speakers there if you have a 6 channel system. I don't use these on my car since I have a 4 channel aftermarket unit. If you are looking at new amps you might want to take advantage of these additional channels.
Not sure it's likely that I have another set of speakers since I have an earlier, 87 model non turbo model with a funny "live sound" system advertised on the front speakers lol. Other than that, I appreciate everyones help. I wish we had an FAQ regarding the speaker systems since the pre and post facelifts are all over the place.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not sure it's likely that I have another set of speakers since I have an earlier, 87 model non turbo model with a funny "live sound" system advertised on the front speakers lol. Other than that, I appreciate everyones help. I wish we had an FAQ regarding the speaker systems since the pre and post facelifts are all over the place.
Yeah my NA 88' without the sport package has the "LIVE SOUND" on the triangle mesh cover. I figure it's just what every MK3 came with. Not sure "LIVE SOUND" can be made with the like 10-20W stock speakers though lol.

·
90T
1,494 Posts
87-88 was 4 speakers, 89-90 was 6 with the two extra ones beside the rear seats (tiny 3.5" speakers with no enclosure so don't do much). 91-92 had 6.5 in the doors but the rest was the same. The rear boxes with the 4.5" speakers never changed from 87-92.

There is no aftermarket support or the rear speakers. You can use 4" and make an adapter plate to fill the gap or use 5.5" and put it on top of the cutout. Neither really make much difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
306 Posts
87-88 was 4 speakers, 89-90 was 6 with the two extra ones beside the rear seats (tiny 3.5" speakers with no enclosure so don't do much). 91-92 had 6.5 in the doors but the rest was the same. The rear boxes with the 4.5" speakers never changed from 87-92.

There is no aftermarket support or the rear speakers. You can use 4" and make an adapter plate to fill the gap or use 5.5" and put it on top of the cutout. Neither really make much difference in my opinion.
I had no idea, thanks. I'd love to see some stock pictures of those. I suppose it would only serve to making a stereo replacement more expensive and time consuming though.

Those plastic speaker boxes sure are weird. Not sure if all cars use those, but it makes fitment tricky outside just going custom which I have no desire to do.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Someone on here had a genious idea on the rear speakers which I did. Remove the speakers, cut off the baskets, and use the remaining metal rim to mount your speakers. I put slightly smaller speakers (4"?) in and of course they blow away the original speakers simply due to 35 years of speaker development. Also preserves the mounting area if the car has classic value so you're not tearing something up you regret.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My speaker refresh post with added sub install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi i'm trying to upgrade the rear speakers and I've come across a snafu.

View attachment 280100
My speaker refresh post with added sub install.

I'm aware that the earlier model supras always had different rear speaker sizes, and even crutchfield doesnt even know, so I've taken it upon myself to measure the rear speakers and even compare it to the front speakers.
I measured it and I guess I'm wrong because they are apparently the same size? I just need help figuring out the rear size of the speaker just so I can replace it. Heres the part number on the back of the speaker too
View attachment 280101

am I tripping or could it just be an oversized 4-inch speaker? and is there a way to maximize the rear speaker sound?

am I just overthinking it?????

anyways cheers guys thanks for your help

I am the ORIGINAL owner of a brand new 1987 SUPRA and am a high-fidelity audio type so this was important to me. I only use high-fidelity speakers in my updates in Supras, and Lexus. The 4.5" speakers I used were from Morel! I don't know if you are familiar with them, but they are expensive and are not sold in the cheaper places you have heard about.

MOREL TEMPO ULTRA 402 INTEGRA 4" CAR 60W RMS 2-WAY SILK TWEETERS SPEAKERS.

You will need to get some 1/8 " plastic. I purchased it on eBay for $290. but you can get them anywhere. You also will need 1/8" plastic sheet stock to make an adapted to fit in the recessed enclosure. Get a 4" hole saw to cut out the I.D. hole for the speaker first. Just trace the layout from the original speaker to it fits in the recessed area.
Make sure the thin foam that sticks to the perimeter is fresh and SEALS the mounting surface. ( Its visible in the picture you posted on the OEM speaker-) Toyota went to a lot of expense to design these sealed enclosures ( Think of BOSE- waveguide system) so you don't want to mess that up. The lower frequency response will drastically suffer if you don't!

This is an easy, and inexpensive solution to get the maximum upgrade sound from the OEM system in a SUPRA.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,478 Posts
Wow them morel speakers a Fing expensive. 2-5 k for the 6.5 top-of-the-line ones! I can't even imagine spending that much on speakers. I just want bang for the buck deal. Not looking for a crazy system looking for something that is like modern OEM cars. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
So a speaker and enclosure are engineered together. If you ask Morel (or other makers) what the volume should be if its used in a sealed enclosure application like this, you can get the number. It's unlikely the Morel was randomly designed for the Supra's enclosure sizes. My point here is, don't expect a random speaker you bought to perform at its max with a random enclosure. I have the front and rear enclosure sizes if anyone's interested.

Sticking with the suggested Morel mount for a moment, I suggest something MUCH stronger than 1/8" plastic if you are going to use power that matches the expense of that audiophile grade speaker. That's much too flexy and has the ability to vibrate and muddy up the output. Either use my strategy above so you are mounting to solid metal, or use another material that will not flex so easily.

For everyday listening at a budget price, I chose Pioneers as much of the Toyota OEM audio equipment in this day was Pioneerthough it may not be branded as such. On the simple theory that a same brand may still have some matching aspects for a balanced output versus using another random budget brand, that was my choice. 4" front and rear. Sounds adequate and likely far better than the original 1988 speakers simply due to advances in speaker design over the 30 yerars or so. Zero rattles, enjoyable listening.

PS - if you like your OEM Toyota or Lexus audio, you have a gentleman named Fred Deutsch to thank. In the mid 80s through early 90s, he was in charge of audio systems and used his persistence and talents to convince Toyota/Lexus to upgrade our factory audio. He worked with Nakamichi and Pioneer to make that happen and I believe also started the Mark Levinson relationship as well. He was far and away the oldest guy in Product Planning, yet showed us the way on audio. Because of his genius, we had the high ground among OEMs for a while, and then they all upped their games in response. So today's spectacular factory audio systems are here likely because of Mr. Deutsch's efforts. I believe he passed many years ago, but he was a worthy colleague, a true practitioner, and a perfectionist in his craft. RIP

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
PS - if you like your OEM Toyota or Lexus audio, you have a gentleman named Fred Deutsch to thank. In the mid 80s through early 90s, he was in charge of audio systems and used his persistence and talents to convince Toyota/Lexus to upgrade our factory audio. He worked with Nakamichi and Pioneer to make that happen and I believe also started the Mark Levinson relationship as well. He was far and away the oldest guy in Product Planning, yet showed us the way on audio. Because of his genius, we had the high ground among OEMs for a while, and then they all upped their games in response. So today's spectacular factory audio systems are here likely because of Mr. Deutsch's efforts. I believe he passed many years ago, but he was a worthy colleague, a true practitioner, and a perfectionist in his craft. RIP
Tip of my hat to Mr Deutsch, the factory setup in our 2000 LS400 is by far the best sounding OEM system I've ever heard. Easily among the best car audio setups I've heard, period.

As for my Mk3, I stuck some Hifonics Zeus 5.25" speakers in those rear boxes. Made sure they were sealed up, and they sound great. Fills in the mid range quite nicely, lot better than I expected they would. Have had them sitting in a closet for a decade or more...

For the fronts, running some 6.5" uhhh... Polk? I think that's what those components are. This combo, apart from some electrical buzzing I need to figure out (I suspect the amp) sounds great. Eventually I will add a 10" sub to the setup once I have the interior all sorted out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts