Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relatively stock 91 T (some suspension mods). As I upgrade my ride, I am undecided on which size wheels to go with. I have never driven any car with anything more aggressive then what my current car has (225/50/16). Other then costing more, what should I expect when going with larger wheels (i.e. performance, ride, etc).

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
more weight, more traction, harsher ride when going to lower tires.

tires will cost ALOT more. Esp if you decide to go wide.

·
Super Moderator
11,204 Posts
As a rule of thumb, the less sidewall you have the more direct you'll feel the road - both in the good ways of steering feel and feedback and feeling more bumps, cracks and potholes.

With less sidewall you'll also tend to have less traction on the drive wheels when launching from a stop or low speed roll, obviously if you go a lot wider you'll counteract the disadvantage of the narrow sidewalls up to a point.

Wider tires will also affect gas mileage slightly, depending on how big you go - and how big you'll want to go directly corresponds to the power level you'd like to get to.

As a basic sizing upgrade, I'd recommend a staggered set of wheels (meaning wider in the rear than in the front) and the best sizing IMHO for a basic upgrade would be a 17x8 in front and a 17x9 in rear, with a 225/45 or 245/40 on the front and a 255/40, 265/40 or 275/40 on the rear. That sort of sizing is on the cheaper end of high performance tires and you'll have a lot of options.

hope that helps

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,143 Posts
comadreha said:
What should I expect when going with larger wheels
A much better looking MKIII. :)

A lot of people upgrade to 17" or 18" generally speaking, but I stuck with 16" wheels for the sake of thick high side walls.

What kind of driving do you prefer?
Going straight, or taking the turns?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MK3Brent said:
A much better looking MKIII. :)

What kind of driving do you prefer?
Going straight, or taking the turns?
Turning while going fast is definitely #1, especially after changing the Struts/Springs.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
comadreha said:
Turning while going fast is definitely #1, especially after changing the Struts/Springs.
taking turns > going straight FTW!

i'd like to know this too as i like course driving better then straight line :)

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
more sidewall = easier to roll over which is better for off line launches.

less sidewall and wider and harder sidewall is much much better for a road race or auto x tire.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,143 Posts
With less sidewall you'll run a lower chance of popping the tire off the rim at extreme turns...

I've learned this the hard way. :rofl:

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
^^ i learned that the hard way also.. that is why i dont want any aftermarket. i want some mkivs. i mean i got a set of battle axe but i dont even want to mess with them im on sawblades now better safe then sorry. haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts