Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upper ball joint solution??

I know JIC use to make them.. I know Beech Performance makes UCA with a GM bushing.

But... Does anyone make a replacement? Where can I find new old stock? Will another car of the same era share the same balljoints?

Someone please help... Ive talk to so many MK3 owners and they all tell me after they realized there was no other route they coughed up the 600 for the Beech Heim joint UCAs... I on the otherhand can not afford to spend 600 on the control arms alone..

Thanks for reading... Hopefully this is taken seriously lol.

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
Heim joints used as ball joints are a short term fix, as they tend to wear out quickly.
A better solution is to find a comparable Toyota ball joint by searching a Toyota or Lexus dealer's parts shelf.

Have used a MkIII bushing to replace the never available Cressida lower rear, but it took a custom sleeve to work, but the MkIII stuff started to vanish.
Then a guy who was willing to do the homework found a direct replacement from a Lexus that fit the Cressida without adapter sleeve.

Seems like this has been discussed before here, maybe do a little more searching.

Oh, and I would never use anything that came from Beach after he sent me under drive pulleys that were not round.
They were shaped like a Mazda 13b rotor, and would eat belts within just a few miles.
Never offered to make it right after I contacted him.
Sold one on eBay as new, never used, with his business card, and spent hours on one re-machining it.
The serpentine rib groves were not even spaced correctly.

·
90T
1,454 Posts
Not clear if you are talking fronts or rears. The fronts are available.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ocharged,1278570,suspension,control+arm,10401

CDELCO 45D1176 {#19241924} Professional; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info Front Left Upper (Only 3 Remaining)
ACDELCO 45D1175 {#19241923} Professional; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info Front Right Upper

The upper ball joints are unloaded. They should last forever unless they are damaged from an accident. That is why toyota never sold them separately like the lower ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input I really appreciate that. Ill dig deeper.

And yeah that guy at BEECH is something else. I tried asking a few Qs regarding this and he just kinda didnt understand the "Budget" factor.

Ive seen UCAs on Rockauto and found a place with new old stock. But they want an arm and a leg. Id buy them from Rockauto but they only sell passenger side ones lol.

·
92 TURBO
1,672 Posts
Hi I'm looking for front lower and upper ball joints for 88 supra mk3 trying to do full nut and bolt restro. Hope you guys can help thanks . DEL
^ Front lower ball joints are replaceable and available but the upper ball joints are part of the upper control arm and do not remove separately. You need a complete new upper control arm which is not an easy find anymore. Long been discontinued by Toyota.
The lower ball joints bolt to lower arm with 3 bolts so it's an easy replacement.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,123 Posts
These 2 threads are what I remember for the A-arms not being the right part.

The PN's match what the screen shot above is showing for Rockauto Mevotech parts.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,123 Posts
@getcarterhere you are in the UK?

If your upper balljoints are actually shot ( I highly doubt it, but could be possible as @3p141592654 mentioned. They aren't under vehicle load)
Ask @Unrivalled_Supras to machine / install new balljoints to the arms.
He does it here for the MKIV guys and is in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,123 Posts
Hmm... this is not good information @Suprabruhh
cms9808 and cms9809 are the same PN's that @pham references in his thread that don't fit.

So either Mevotech is packaging the wrong arm's sometimes, or something else weird is going on.
Good you found something that fits, but there are too many inconsistencies between different people on these parts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hmm... this is not good information @Suprabruhh
cms9808 and cms9809 are the same PN's that @pham references in his thread that don't fit.

So either Mevotech is packaging the wrong arm's sometimes, or something else weird is going on.
Good you found something that fits, but there are too many inconsistencies between different people on these parts.
Hmmm very interesting
Here's my order.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property

For reference I picked "1987" on RA for my 1986.5
You could always roll the dice and order and if they don't work out,return them. Did @pham verify the correct side?

·
92 TURBO
1,672 Posts
Hmmm very interesting
Here's my order. View attachment 278275

For reference I picked "1987" on RA for my 1986.5
You could always roll the dice and order and if they don't work out,return them. Did @pham verify the correct side?
^ Just to add my 2 cents those are the correct Toyota p/n's for the front upper control L & R arms that Mevotech is using before their p/n's.

The front upper control arms stayed the same from 86.5-92.
48610-19015 RH and 48630-19015 LH

·
Registered
956 Posts
I ended up buying used arms from a '92.
My uppers were fine until I monkey fucked them with an air chisel and ball joint separator and ripped the boots - yeah I didn't give much thought to destroying them at the time.
I've since serviced my originals and replaced the boots with new silicone boots and packed them with new grease - trial and error.

So I have a decent spare set in a box on the MKIII FUCAs - but like lots of folks have said don't rip the boots they aren't load bearing and you probably don't need to replace them. I didn't until I ripped the boots on the upper ball joints.

AFAIK no you can't purchase FUCA for a MKIII, anything on rockauto is wrong and for an SC300 and I tried it already. Maybe something changed in the last year or two.

Edit: I do hope they fit though because that would be sweet to know someone finally got rockauto sorted out

·
Registered
432 Posts
I ended up buying used arms from a '92.
My uppers were fine until I monkey fucked them with an air chisel and ball joint separator and ripped the boots - yeah I didn't give much thought to destroying them at the time.
I've since serviced my originals and replaced the boots with new silicone boots and packed them with new grease - trial and error.

So I have a decent spare set in a box on the MKIII FUCAs - but like lots of folks have said don't rip the boots they aren't load bearing and you probably don't need to replace them. I didn't until I ripped the boots on the upper ball joints.

AFAIK no you can't purchase FUCA for a MKIII, anything on rockauto is wrong and for an SC300 and I tried it already. Maybe something changed in the last year or two.

Edit: I do hope they fit though because that would be sweet to know someone finally got rockauto sorted out
Lmao I thought the same thing "ThEyRe NoT LoAd BeArInG" I bought some used uppers off an 88 that looked good but also toast. I went with the RockAuto Mevotech option and they worked just fine so hopefully they either fixed it or you got some bad ones. I do know they were on backorder for the longest time. When I was comparing parts to OE I noticed one side had a stamp looking like a short line and the other side had 2 stamps so I'm assuming they're slightly different. I didn't attempt to install the arms on opposite sides . Overall fitment was spot on for me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts